Which VFTT members also AT hikers???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Just wondering which VFTT members are past, present, or future, thru or section hikers.

I guess I will start.

I am currently section hiking. My first official step on the AT was in Kent, Conn on 9/1/01. Then the trail worked it's magic and I have completed Katahdin thru Damascus.
1715 miles completed, 455 miles to go.

The only problem is that something called WORK gets in the way of hiking.

Hope to finish this section hike within the next two years, and would like to do a thru hike when I am done with WORK.

George

Section hiker as well. So far just some stuff in NH and Maine as I only started on it last spring. I'll complete Maine this year, and more of NH, but then wanted to do some of the LT, or maybe all of it.

I started winter hiking last year in conjunction with the ice climbing, but did more of it as the winter progressed. That led to needing (not wanting) to get out in the other seasons, so the AT was a logical choice, having worn out boots on all the local trails. I just kept on hiking this winter and have enjoyed it even more, completing 9 winter mountains so far. I can only get away every other weekend because of that 4 letter word (work), which makes it tough.

I don't know if I'd enjoy the AT as a thru-hiker, I think I'd have issues when it was over. Besides, I'd miss my cats to much.

Hi Doodles,
I was a Northeast ADK hiker for quite a while, but then we moved close to the AT in PAand I set my sites on the AT. I still have a ways to go, Having picked up PA, NJ a bit in NH & VA and 1/2 of Mass, but I figure I am right on schedule for the 20 year plan.
If you get down to PA and need a shuttle, don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Doodles! You've definitely gone far with your AT hiking!

I have section hiked the AT through New England -- 733 miles -- finishing up in Maine last fall on the section that runs over Moxie Bald. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to finish the rest of the AT or whether I want to continue heading north on the IAT. I have very tentative plans to head to Georgia this year and hike from Springer to Franklin, N.C.... but other goals may get in the way of that. If I continue section hiking the rest, I will start at Springer and finish at the CT/NY border... about a gazillion years from now.

Indeed, work does get in the way of all my hiking plans too! :)

- Ivy

I live pretty close to the AT and have hiked it and skied a few sections of it but not really on purpose, just a way of making a loop out of my hikes. So I would be option C: Day hiker of the AT.. :)

Jay

Does providing logistical support to a friend who did the AT count? Of course not, but it's the closest I'll ever come.......

Thru-hiked all but the last 100 miles many, many years ago. Planning to do that stretch last year with my uncle (sadly ditched out due an injury to his knee) has definitely given me the bug to get it done.

I'm a section hiker. Section hikes of 100+ so far: 100 Mile Wilderness, Monson to Grafton Notch, Grafton Notch to Norwich Vt, Long Trail Inn to North Adams (as part of LT thru-hike). I've done some other bits and pieces as well. I'm not particularly dedicated to finishing, especially due to the severity of my paycheck addiction. The Maine pieces were hiked with my son. NH and VT were solo.

Good luck Doodles. You are closing in.

It has long been a dream of mine (some thirty-six years) to do an end-to-end hike of the AT. Like Doodles, though, work and life have stood in my way. I've recently come to realize that I'm probably not going to be able to take the six months or so off from work to undertake such an adventure before retirement age. Instead, the infamous Danielle and I have been sputtering along with section hiking the AT in New England. We're not deadly serious about it, lest we kill the joy, but we have planned the next three years of the campaign already,

porky pine

I have probably hiked about 250 or more miles of it as section hikes but haven't really been keeping track. I will likely section hike the New England AT over the next few years and plan to thruhike it sometime in this lifetime. My boyfriend thruhiked it in 2004 (that is how we met on the Vermont section while I was thruhiking the Long Trail).

sli74

Been on it recently!

The other day I was bushwhacking up Garfield Ridge with Sleeping Bear. I knew that we'd be crossing the Garfield Ridge Trail as it was perpendicular to the direction we were 'whacking. I said to Sleeping Bear, something like, "we should see the trail soon... it's wide and well marked because it is the AT". Sure enough we crossed the AT, found a blaze, and then continued on our bushwhack.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Sure enough we crossed the AT, found a blaze, and then continued on our bushwhack.
-Dr. Wu
:eek: That may be the smallest "Section Hike" ever on the AT. ;)

I need to expand my AT experience. I've grown up on the CT and southern MA trail. It's great hiking, though. I do sections like Bulls Bridge to Kent and back as a good day hike to keep in shape for the Whites and Dacks.

2000 miler

I section hiked the AT, finishing up in 2003 atop Pleasant Pond Mtn in Maine.
It only took me 31 years! :D

Onestep

In addition to doing Maine with my daughter, I've hiked the Shenandoah Nat'l Park stretch of about 100 miles and pieces in NH.

Lots of pieces left to do!

Only 35,000 years left!

Chip said:
:eek: That may be the smallest "Section Hike" ever on the AT. ;)
This is just how I'm hiking it... by incidental crossings while on other hikes. I have a few areas done.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
A day hiker with several pieces but no overnights on it yet in a tent.

About 9 miles in TN from Clingmans to shelter near Kephart, about 30 miles in CT, 25 miles in MA, about 10 in VT while peakbagging Stratton & Killington, a bunch in NH as a result of peakbagging, want to hit Cascade Brook, Kenduskreag & Webster Cliff to complete stretch from S. Kinsman to Route 2. In ME the miles needed to peakbag only.

At this point, peopel my age typically do the AT because they lose they jobs, spouses, children or are informed they have x time to live. When I consider those options, that something called work, working out & being tied to a mortgage so my family has a place to live feels less like a grind. :)

Probably 200 miles of sections, peakbags, etc. in every state except GA.. by the time I finish, I will likely have forgotten where I've been and have to do it all over again. Hopefully I will remember what hiking is. Now I can hike some with my kids though, and still with my Dad... :)
Weatherman

AT section hiker

Doodles--
Never bothered to count it all up, started when I lived near Washington DC 30 yrs ago and did Shenandoah hikes on weekends. I can recall section hikes in NC, VA, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, NH, ME. Lately I prefer winter hikes, usually mid January. Anybody interested for next January in MA drop me an email.
Walt

Doodles said:
Just wondering which VFTT members are past, present, or future, thru or section hikers.
George