Who's got the flu?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Last weekend I got halfway up a mountain and knew I didn't have it. My legs were dead tired. I was such a beautiful blue sky, I had to get to the top. this weekend I feel weak again and will probably sleep in. Looks like I wont make the March 21st deadline for any winter peaks. Who else has the flu.

I don't have it and I don't want it. I had it once and thought that I was going to die, I was so sick and weak.
Unfortunately even though, I got the flu shot this year, I might as well of stayed home. The Flu Serum this year was an incorrect batch and the shot is proven to be ineffective.
Pheumonia is another illness that many are getting as well. My dad spent a few days in the hospital, early Winter and was still sick for a couple of weeks after.
Hope you feel better.

I had it on Feb 7th. It took Me almost two weeks to get rid of it. I was in bed for at least the first five days. I don't usually get sick like that, but wow, this one was strong!! I had the flu shot in about late October, but as was said, it was totally ineffective.

Kevin

One or more of the four members of my family has had it since 1/25. I am 2-weeks in and finally feeling better, although I still have a lingering cough. We all had flu shots as well. Tempers run thin right now :eek: especially combined with spring fever (I'm not done skiing personally.)

Tim

Not the flu but I have been battleing viral bronchitis since the end of January. Antibiotics did not work of course and I just got off from a series of steroids that seemed to help. I think I am finally starting to feel better. I am like you I only made one winter peak this year and the rest of the winter season is shot to hell :mad:

Don't know why I didn't get it.....half the people at work have been sick for weeks...

I cant remember the last time I had the flu, or even a bad cold. My non-vomit streak goes back to the 1980s. I have no idea why I'm never sick (maybe no kids?). I've never had a flu shot either which may or may not have something to do with it.

I had strep throat a few weeks ago that knocked me out for a full 7 days. :eek:

Might I kindly point out that being sick for a week or so might not exactly inlfluenza. Influenza will take you down - in bed - easily for 3-7 days - Like what Kevcon was describing. There are distinct differences between a cold and influenza:
Odds are if you have sneezing, runny nose and a sore throat, and it is building over several days. it is probably a cold ,
High fevers, serious pain, night sweats or chills, headaches and sudden onset of these symptoms are more typical of influenza.

There is an adenovirus (#14) that was mutating and causing bronchial problems and pheumonia this year, but again, it is a common cold virus and not a strain of influenza

Skyclimber said:
.... The Flu Serum this year was an incorrect batch and the shot is proven to be ineffective.

Not entirely correct The vaccine is at least 40% effective this year, though it is the lowest in almost 20 years of influenza vaccine production.

FWIW, There are 3 viral strains that make up the serum of influenza vaccines. Each year the WHO and the major vaccine manufacturers (Pasteur, Chiron and now GSK) decide which strains will remain and which will be replaced - It isn't an easy selection process since it takes almost 6 months to grow that viruses inside millions of eggs and then kill them, clean them and manufacture the vaccines - The forecasting of which strain is difficult at best.

Sadly the 07-08 is now predicted to be about 40% effective. I beleive I read somewhere recently that 1 of the 3 strains was not effective. The Influenza vaccine is still a great bet for anyone not wishing to experience a full blown onset of inlfuenza.

I take great pride in mentioning the benefits that Influenza vaccines have brought to people worlwide. :)

Last edited:
I haven't been sick with the flu or even a bad cold in years. My secret: sign up to be a substitute teacher. You'll build your immune system more effectively than any vaccine!

Well then I have that bronchial thing. I've yet to find a satisfactory definition of the "flu". My wife, the rabid magazine reader (health magazines included) kept calling it the flu and so I challenged her but she stuck to her guns.

Unless it is diagnosed, you can't really label it properly.

Two of us did have high fevers and GI distress (both ends)

Tim

dentonfabrics said:
My non-vomit streak goes back to the 1980s.

That's impressive! Mine dates back to the mid 1990s, though I did almost lose the streak when I saw an episode of that Caveman show last fall.

No flu here, and I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I've had a chest/bronchial thing for 6+ weeks off and on.... I usually don't get colds very often... but when I do they are usually pretty bad.... This one was at first... with lyrangitis (sp?), sinus, etc, then moving to the chest....

I got rid of it after approx 3 weeks+/-, only to have it come back with a passion after I did a strenuous hike.... Two days after the hike I once again had a fever with sweats and chest congestion... That was 3+/- weeks ago and I still have some minor congestion once and a while..... enough already!!!! Go away cold!!! You've had your fun now scram!!!... Really, I am too busy for this and when it interferes with my hiking... then Thats just not right..

But seriously... I am glad I'm over the worst of it and the thought that this ailment has lingered so long has me a little shook up..... Maybe next year I'll get the flu vaccine.....

I've had the flu-like viral whatever for about two weeks now. When I was at the absolute nadir, coughing, sneezing, aching, no energy, (couldn't conceive of ever again climbing a mountain) my brother called from Rochester, N.Y. to say my 91 year old Mom, in a nursing home, had the same thing. She died three days later. Attending the funeral yesterday, all the mourners tried to avoid each other, because they were all sick, too.
If someday, somebody can find a pharmaceutical weapon to zap this stuff, they'll be revered like Jonas Salk.

bigmoose said:
I've had the flu-like viral whatever for about two weeks now. When I was at the absolute nadir, coughing, sneezing, aching, no energy, (couldn't conceive of ever again climbing a mountain) my brother called from Rochester, N.Y. to say my 91 year old Mom, in a nursing home, had the same thing. She died three days later. Attending the funeral yesterday, all the mourners tried to avoid each other, because they were all sick, too.
If someday, somebody can find a pharmaceutical weapon to zap this stuff, they'll be revered like Jonas Salk.
Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother.. but this situation is interesting from teh following perspective:
I work in NJ. I was hit hard with a cold earlier this year - really hard. At least 2 weeks of heavy cold symptoms and then the bronchial thing for another 2 weeks, nonstop Nasal Drip, Sinus headache, phlem and layingitis. I had not had a cold like this in years. I notice that none of my coworkers had this even though I was in the office sneezing and coughing constantly (after taking the first 2 days sick) We joked about everyone getting sick from me (thinly veiled threats, really) but no one became ill.

It was here that I started to read up on adenovirus #14 and it's mutation this year. While I noticed none of my immediate 20-30 coworkers were sick, there were family and friends back in Buffalo & Rochester area that were all sick with the same cold symptoms around the same time-frame. This really lead me to take an anecdotal leap that perhaps people in NJ/Southern PA went through this specific cold virus a number of years ago, but it never hit hard in Western NY at that time. Since there are around 50 cold viruses and one builds up antibodies or "immunities" once they have had that strain, those down here that had this specific cold virus previously might have the sniffles for a day or so, but would not have the full blown cold symptoms.

Like I said, it is only anecdotal regional guessing with no science atttached, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

Bikehike... I agree it is hard to label unless the virus is tested or you are in the hands of a seasoned practitioner, I guess my point was that many tend to use the terms cold anf flu interchangeably, when in fact, they are very different viral infections.

bigmoose said:
I've had the flu-like viral whatever for about two weeks now. When I was at the absolute nadir, coughing, sneezing, aching, no energy, (couldn't conceive of ever again climbing a mountain) my brother called from Rochester, N.Y. to say my 91 year old Mom, in a nursing home, had the same thing. She died three days later.

Yeah, sorry about your Mom. I lost mine at a similar age under similar circumstances. When you're in your 90s, your body doesnt have the strength to fight off the symptoms like a younger, stronger person can. Again, sympathies to you...

rocket21 said:
That's impressive! Mine dates back to the mid 1990s, though I did almost lose the streak when I saw an episode of that Caveman show last fall.

No flu here, and I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Impressive indeed. I had a streak going back to 1994 when I broke it last year about this time. The 1994 "incident" was due to a bad batch of fried clams, and before that was sometime in the late 80s for any type of illness that put me horizontal.

Two weeks ago everyone in our family had some sort of virus that lasted about 2 days each, which seems a little short for the flu. It started with general weakness/tiredness, progressed to nausea, violent vomiting (I've never hurled so hard, not even in college), diarrhea, and then a period of light-headedness. The baby and I didn't get it too bad. My wife ended up in the ER after lapsing in and out of responsiveness after a 4 hour period of upper and lower "GI distress" one morning. The local medics thought I was full of it until they witnessed it themselves, then they seemed to be in more of a rush to get her out the door and to the hospital. 3 bags of IV fluids later and she was mostly back to normal.

Stay healthy out there!
Smitty