Wildcat summit to Hall's Ledge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NE111er453

Reaction score
I'm considering a loop hike from the head of the Jackson valley into Carter Notch and up to the Wildcat summit. I'd loop back to my car by going down the south ridge of Wildcat following the Jackson XC ski trail. I'd expect to hit maintained trail near Hall's Ledge. From there take trail East and back into the valley and come out reasonably close to my start point.

I'd appreciate any comments on XC trail markings and conditions or alternatives.

I've done that trip. Wear high rubber boots, the upper ski trail is not maintained for hiking and has some deep mudholes. There were some jcts lower down where the correct turn wasn't obvious (may not matter much) so a ski trail map might help.

We backpacked out from Perkins Notch Shelter about ten years ago, planning to hike out over Hall's Ledge. We crossed logging roads and a field along Bog Brook Trail, where it wasn't obvious where Hall's Ledge Trail went. We ended up hiking out on Hutmen's Trail, not knowing we were on that trail until we reached Route 16. Trails might be marked better now. Perkins Notch and Eagle Link were beautiful. We saw the biggest birch trees we've ever seen in there. East Branch Trail was really muddy. There's a Ski Trail Map online here: http://www.jacksonxc.com/Trail_System.htm