Wildcats A - D 2/21/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
Up 19 Mile Brook Trail: Snowshoes helpful after junction w/ Carter Dome Trail.

Up Wildcat Ridge Trail: Not broken due to wind & overnight snow. Used snowshoes across slide. Buried with 2'+ of new snow. No crampons needed.

After the slide: Picked up remnants of broken trail from the day before. And also a Bobcat's? tracks from earlier that day. Continued following both.

*Warning: NEVER just follow someone' tracks!! I should know by now.
The tracks continued past the ZAG Left of the ZIG right, if you know where I mean, and we continued following because, 1 it was easy & 2 I was intrigued with the cat's tracks.

Well, we spent over an hour climbing, (bushwhacking) up to an elevation of 4260' before I quit looking for the switchback section of the trail.
Retreated back down & back along the trail to find the REAL trail. That was not broken! About 2 1/2' of new snow had to be broken on the real trail after the fun bushwhack. (I do like it though)
I should have taken the GPS!!!!! We could have just continued from the 4260' point to the summit. It would have been easier.

Reached the summit to find the group of guys we saw in the Notch, on the side of the road gearing up in the strong winds. Oh did that look cold.
They, along with a couple we saw at the ski parking lot had broken out the Ridge Trail. So we decided to continue.

The Ridge Trail is up in the trees now, so would advise some eye protection.

Met a late day solo hiker at D peak that joined us for the trek down the slopes that were in perfect condition for snowshoeing. The best I had ever seen. Then rode with us back to 19 Mi. Trail Head.

A super day with Jerry, that almost was a "Can't find the trail, I guess we have to go back" day.