Window smashed at Ethan Pond TH today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveSunRa said:
My vote would be to have a mad pet bull in the car, just waiting.

May I suggest something else that takes up less space. They also come in handy for other auto related situations One never knows what might happen. You can even take them to Work !

Last edited:
istockphoto_2160939_bull_dog.jpg

Sabrina, I'm so sorry that you are a victim of this cowardly crime. I wish you an easy and quick repair to the Suby and a measured return of trust while going out and doing what you love.

I don't know how many posts I've tried to make about this issue, nor how many times I've turned off the fingers and decided not to say anything. It isn't pretty or complimentary to this part of the world, but neither is crime.

Let me try again.

Rant on\

There are no Local Police Departments who have jurisdiction at the trailheads most affected.

The New Hampshire State Police Barracks in Twin Mountain IS the Local Police for the area bordering the entire WMNF ( absent city or town PD) and a ways beyond, with help from the County Sherriff's. It is a huge patrol area. None of the "grants" and very few of the small towns even have a local PD. Sparse patrol, lots of area to over, and a huge # of calls with personal injury and PROPERTY DAMAGE. PI WITH PD will trump vandalism/ Property damage any hour of the day or night.

Every teenager, young adult and miscreant in the North Country knows this. They pretty well know exactly who ( by name) is on patrol, what shift this week, and which direction the patrol cars were going when last seen. Not many troopers, a lot of local knowledge, and cell phones in every pocket. 4 guys in a car at night = 4 cell phones on screech.

There is a large and growing drug problem, a depressed economy, few jobs for the 16-early 20 age group and a constant need for thrills and keeping up with the Jones. It is a clear demographic. They need cars, need money, need to pay for cell phones, cars, gas, skiing/riding. And there are drugs.

The same folk who are targeting parked cars at trailheads, will be working the ski areas, thieving skis and boards, and trying to resell to others in the fishy part of the food chain. It isn't just "out of staters" working that scheme, the locals have caught on. Some have moved to the area, bringing their crap with them.

Those who do get caught, in one manner or another, for whichever offense, usually give up others "in the trade" and then things simmer down until the next crop of shark ( or baby barracuda) take up the challenge.

The Town of Berlin NH is becoming known as the easiest place in New England to get every/ any manner of welfare/assistance ever known. That is a new translation ( for me) of " live free or die".

Its ugly, control over it is sporadic and fragmented, and even the perps themselves don't understand how or why they are making their local business environment distinctly unfriendly and inhospitable to investment.

They are totally clueless, desperate individuals.

Rant off/

Breeze

skimom said:
That sucks, Sabrina. I'm so sorry that it happened to you.

Question... was the car gone thru ? I mean, were things moved around and apparently looked through ?

Nope, everything inside just as it was left. Zero ransacking. Sucks having this happen, doesn't it?? Sorry it happened to you as well, Skimom.

FWIW, the wallets were buried under the front seats, and the minimal gear left behind was stashed under a dirty dog bed and dirty sweater in the way back. The window that was broken was not near the lumpy dog bed nor was it the front where the auto locks for all the doors is accessed. Unless he/she was after my Gazeteer's or dirty sneakers, there was no reason to crack that window. That is unless they didn't feel like getting glass on thier own car if it was the truck, who was parked next to me on the opposite side.

The creepy thing is that there was a truck in the lot. All the other cars were down the hill, because the whole road had turned to glare ice during the day. Frodo has commented that maybe the person was still there, in the woods or the truck. When we were coming down the trail, both Leaf and I saw a light through the woods.

When I spoke to the State Police, they asked alot of questions about the truck, and the officer commented that it was possible that *we* interrupted the robbery. I wish I had driven back up to get the license plate of the truck, but just getting down the road was dicey with the icy conditions.

I'm just thankful there were no confrontations. I'm also relieved I wasn't returning *alone* to a dark trailhead to discover this.

Yes, I should take my wallet with me always. I had my three pound girly wallet and in all honesty didn't feel like lugging it. Taking the essentials and leaving the rest behind is a good idea, but in retrospect, I think my car was destined for a break in whether or not the crook saw anything inside of value. It was a lone car after dark in an isolated trailhead...this stuff happens in the Whites frequently .... part of the experience I guess and one I hope to not repeat.

Maybe I'll make a little sign like the Ethan Pond caretaker uses (Great picture, Tuco)

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
Nope, everything inside just as it was left. Zero ransacking. FWIW, the wallets were buried under the front seats, and the minimal gear left behind was stashed under a dirty dog bed and dirty sweater in the way back. The window that was broken was not near the lumpy dog bed nor was it the front where the auto locks for all the doors is accessed. Unless he/she was after my Gazeteer's or dirty sneakers, there was no reason to crack that window. That is unless they didn't feel like getting glass on thier own car if it was the truck, who was parked next to me on the opposite side.

When I spoke to the State Police, they asked alot of questions about the truck, and the officer commented that it was possible that *we* interrupted the robbery.
Putting the wallets and valuables under the seats or out of reach of the "windows" is the way to go. These are probably just junkies out for a cowardly grab of your hard earned stuff. I wanted to explain just how they do this (broken window, but some stuff left intact that is out of range of that window), but some fellow posters were afraid we would give away some car break-in secrets. Believe Me, they already know. I don't think they read read the blogs, if they or their family had a computer, it would have been sold long ago for a quick fix. :D

Kevin

Breeze said:
Every teenager, young adult and miscreant in the North Country knows this. They pretty well know exactly who ( by name) is on patrol, what shift this week, and which direction the patrol cars were going when last seen. Not many troopers, a lot of local knowledge, and cell phones in every pocket. 4 guys in a car at night = 4 cell phones on screech.

Breeze

An interesting, if impassioned, analysis, Breeze. I would certainly agree that local police do not have the necessary staff or resources to cover all the trailheads in an effective manner. As for the sociology and demographics you cite, I don't have enough knowledge to assess your argument. Some of it sounds right. Respectfully, what is distinctly wrong is your broad-brush "profiling" above of North Country teenagers. Many, I would venture most, North Country teenagers have no clue what the police are doing--and no reason even to be curious. It really does not help the immediate problem to demonize them all. Suggestions about "not feeding the bears/trolls/thieves" are much more useful, as are creative ideas about hiker shuttles. The underlying problems will take years to solve.

When I hike I bring only my license, health ins. card, one credit card and some cash in a zipper-lock plastic bag and carry it in a zippered pocket or very safe place in my pac. Super lightweight. Everything else stays home. I wouldn't trust anything under the seat.
Also, I don't think that a pet bull is necessary. A nice big PIT Bull would be more than happy to do the job. :eek:
We could start up a group of "Guardian Angels" like they have on the streets in NY to help fight crime.
Laws are 100% useless if they cannot be enforced.
I also don't believe they are only looking for drugs and some cash.
The cash definitely but do they think that all hikers are drug addicts who left their heroine, crack cocaine or methamphetamines in the car?
That doesn't even make sense.

Maddy said:
The cash definitely but do they think that all hikers are drug addicts who left their heroine, crack cocaine or methamphetamines in the car?
That doesn't even make sense.
They're looking for cash, not even electronics in most cases, and I'm sure they don't expect drugs . This is small town America, and electronics and other personal stuff is harder to "fence" and makes it easier to get caught, while cash is easy, every dealer takes it!! Even if they are stopped down the road while leaving the scene, how can anyone prove who's $20 bill it is, while an iPod might put them in jail!!

Kevin

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
An interesting, if impassioned, analysis, Breeze. I would certainly agree that local police do not have the necessary staff or resources to cover all the trailheads in an effective manner. As for the sociology and demographics you cite, I don't have enough knowledge to assess your argument. Some of it sounds right. Respectfully, what is distinctly wrong is your broad-brush "profiling" above of North Country teenagers. Many, I would venture most, North Country teenagers have no clue what the police are doing--and no reason even to be curious. It really does not help the immediate problem to demonize them all. Suggestions about "not feeding the bears/trolls/thieves" are much more useful, as are creative ideas about hiker shuttles. The underlying problems will take years to solve.

I'm NOT sure you have more experience and a deeper understanding than I. We may be standing on the same Bangor Road Bridge but not connecting.

I referenced my reticence to post on this subject and yet you declined to quote that disclaimer. IF you want to direct the discussion to your way of thinking, you certainly can make that happen. I'll be sure to watch my fingers in the future. That has already been covered.

I certainly did NOT demonize ALL North country teenagers. I referenced a very narrow demographic Those who watch and wait and plan for their opportunity, know who they are and work their sleaze in co-dependance.

Nice pat on the head, Waumbek, send me to the nickel seats.

Breeze

Tom Rankin said:
Sabrina, sorry about your car! :(

I wonder how many people this really happens to. Was there a poll about this a while back?

Hey, thanks, Tom....no worries...zero glass deductible...learned some lessons...moving onward!
:D

Thanks, Frodo, for the very funny clip! Its been a while since I've seen "The Life of Brian"... :D

Skiguy..LOL!

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
The underlying problems will take years to solve.

it will never be solved - there will always be crime and dirtbags in society that would rather steal than work. This is true in NH, Boston, NY, Europe, Africa and everywhere else.

Just like everything else, we have to accept this as a cost for doing business. - the business being hiking.

it sucks - but it is what it is. Its common knowledge that most hikers are gone for hours and maybe days and the dirtbags that smash and steal know this as they are always a step ahead of the law abiding folks and the cops. It is unreasonable to expect police to stake out trailheads 24/7 and even more unreasonable to think the tax payers are going to front the cash for cameras in hiker lots.

we - as hikers have to our best to minimize the damage. I actually don't lock my doors and always carry my phone and wallet with me - just in case.

lets face it - the hiker stereotype is a nature loving pacifist wussy. I doubt many cars are being broken into at the local biker bar.

Last edited:
Breeze said:
The Town of Berlin NH is becoming known as the easiest place in New England to get every/ any manner of welfare/assistance ever known. That is a new translation ( for me) of " live free or die".

Interesting take about Berlin. Do you have any links or stats to back that up? I will be up there to see family over Thanksgiving, so I will have to ask about that.

Is the area depressed, sure. Is it the easiest place in New England to get every/any manner of welfare/assistance ever known? Interesting, and would love to see something that could verify that.

You are going to have vandalism everywhere. Kids are going to smash windows and steal stuff. They aren't going to do it under the streetlights on a busy street. They will look for backroads and dark parking lots. Hey, that's where hiker's lots are!

I chuckle to hear the cop say it's out-of-towners. I'd bet it was some bored local kids.

Sorry about your misfortune Sabrina. It sounds like a smash and dash, looking for easily accessible cash, i-pod or GPS. As far as the police go, it's difficult to catch those who break into cars. It takes about 10 seconds to smash a window and grab what's readily visible. My guess is that the bad guys didn't even look in the car until after they smashed the window.

Back in July, Sapblatt, LarryD and I spoke with a Coos County Deputy Sheriff who was on patrol in the Randolph East area, checking on cars parked at trailheads. But again, if he's at Randolph East helping us, then Appalachia is available to the bad guys. I would think that the State, County and local police do care about the car breaks, but have few resources and lots of ground to cover.

I'm sorry your car was broken into. I'm also surprised how many valuables such an experienced group seems to have left. It's not just the contents of the wallet - with all that stuff together a real crook would think of identity theft.

Waumbek said:
One thing that will definitely help is not to advertise on boards like this that hikers are leaving wallets full of money and expensive gear in cars at remote trailheads--and, more importantly, NEVER to leave them in cars anywhere. LNW--leave no wallets--should be the hiker credo that petty thieves see when they read VFTT. They should also not find a list of popular trailheads to raid--the "where my car got jacked" anecdotes--when they read VFTT. It's sufficient to put out a general notice that you were hiking in the Whites and came back to find car windows smashed as a reminder to others that parking lots in the Whites are not wilderness and should be treated like any city street.
I agree that leaving valuables in cars is a bad idea that will only encourage more break-ins, and writing online that you always leave your wallet is worse. But I'm not sure what is bad about identifying problem trailheads, the bad guys will find them from a map or just driving around.

Breeze said:
The New Hampshire State Police Barracks in Twin Mountain IS the Local Police for the area bordering the entire WMNF ( absent city or town PD) and a ways beyond, with help from the County Sherriff's.
The Town of Berlin NH is becoming known as the easiest place in New England to get every/ any manner of welfare/assistance ever known.
Last I knew, Troop E in Tamworth covered most of Carroll County excluding Harts Location.

And with all the true needy in Berlin after the mill closing I'm not sure where they get the money to be so generous.

Just curious to know what people do when they've camped pre -hike? We didn't do that this weekend but I often drive up and camp the night before. Usually breaking camp and leaving my car packed -- I know others who do this also -- does anyone have a better solution (other than leaving a tent site pitched and unattended?)

Thieves aren't looking for hiking/camping gear - too difficult to sell and they have no idea what is good. Electronics, cash, jewelry.

David Metsky said:
Thieves aren't looking for hiking/camping gear - too difficult to sell and they have no idea what is good. Electronics, cash, jewelry.

Yeah, that's what I would think. So that is why I am not fully buying the argument that because I had some hidden gear in my car I made myself a more enticing target. And if the wallets were hidden, not in view, then the perp was going on a hunch that maybe there was something there -- so how can anyone prevent that? A thief playing the odds -- probably not reading Views from the Top, either. If so, then we aren't we really describing someone local who has a good knowledge of trailheads and hiker behavior who is supplementing thier living by stealing from hiker's while they hike?

Someone like that is probably observed cruising around alot, in and out trailhead parking lots. I am starting to buy the theory of a few locals "making the rounds". Why would someone who had such an easy source of petty theft targets waste the gas money to go elsewhere to rob, especially if they know thier own law enforcement is too understaffed/overextended to stake out trailheads.

Sorry in advance to any locals who may take offense.... :)

Last edited: