Window smashed at Ethan Pond TH today

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take my wallet with me, it's safer on me then left in the car, no matter how well hidden. (Hoping the small # of bored teens aren't doing any research like reading here to see where hikers keep there cash in the car)

As a former bored teen (before many but not all of you were born & B&E was never my kick cars, or otherwise) late nights, a couple of beers & boredom are trouble waiting to happen. (Idle hands are the... )

Whether its either lots that can be quickly hit like 19 mile where you can see headlights coming long before the ar gets there or deserted lots late at night, there just isn't much activity at 2:30AM. (I can tell you nothing good ever happens when teens (& almost anyone else) are out after 12:00. A lot of good times are had but nothing good takes place.

Smart comment someone made about not taking I-pods unless they quickly dump music list, then just serial number is an identifier.

The message we should tell hikers, just like they do at parking garages, is to take your valuables.

Hauling & fencing gear taken from a car seems unlikely, it's big, it has little street value (it's only valuable to hikers & campers, that's a very small market, I've never seen anyone fence gear on a City street corner) & the people who would buy it want to know who's been sleeping the sleeping bag before them or if the tent has any holes in it. (if they took it out of your car, they'd probably throw it in the woods or a nearby stream - they can't take it home & say look Dad, I found new camping gear)

I might buy a tag sale fleece that I was going to wear around town or a tent from a neighbor I trusted but nothing out of a U-Haul.

Berlin - sure looked depressed driving through it, if that's what public assistance is gving people, they need more. (I've also heard stories some people on assistance buy too much, latest TV's & gagdets, that's too bad too.)

una_dogger said:
Someone like that is probably observed cruising around alot, in and out trailhead parking lots. I am starting to buy the theory of a few locals "making the rounds". Why would someone who had such an easy source of petty theft targets waste the gas money to go elsewhere to rob, especially if they know thier own law enforcement is too understaffed/overextended to stake out trailheads.

Sorry in advance to any locals who may take offense.... :)

I'm a local taking no offense. IMO Wether it be the Whites, downtown Beantown, Truckee, Montpielier, Lake Placid,Danvers,Rodeo Drive,Upper Works, da da da da.....unfortunately there are people who get off on just being Vandals. It's a pattern of Behavior also called an ADDICTION. The sound of smashing Glass just gets some off. Again I am sorry that this has happened but you got targeted by somebody that needs help. You obiviously left no bate other than having your car parked in a remote spot. I don't mean to offend you either in any way Sabrina; but I think it only makes sense for one to want to make sense of events in our life especially when we have been personally violated.

una_dogger said:
If so, then we aren't we really describing someone local who has a good knowledge of trailheads and hiker behavior who is supplementing thier living by stealing from hiker's while they hike?...

Why would someone who had such an easy source of petty theft targets waste the gas money to go elsewhere to rob, especially if they know thier own law enforcement is too understaffed/overextended to stake out trailheads.

For the record, the only time that our house was broken into it was by teenagers from Massachusetts, up for the weekend with one of the kid's parents.

They weren't very smart, either. They walked back to the house they were staying in -- through three inches of snow from the night before. Took the chief all of fifteen minutes to track them down. :rolleyes:

Frickin' out-of-staters! :mad:

The police forces are stretched thin so i am not mad that they are not patrolling every trailhead. But when I hear stories about them riding the cog to arrest mooners, that really pisses me off. If my car got a window smashed in, I would be livid. My car is almost like a member of the family. The fact that law enforcement is being paid to ride a train and arrest hikers is just idiotic. They also seem happy to hand out fines for urinating in a parking lot, etc...

I'm sorry that your car got vandalized. Personally, If I ever saw a car getting broken into at a trailhead, I would probably go ballistic on the cowards. Government seems a lot more interested in collecting fines and fees on us to fund a ***, than to help good people out. I had to asterisk out the dirty word.

Google "trailhead break ins" and you'll see that this is a nationwide problem, from Hawaii to Maine, and probably a world wide one. It is not specific to the WMNF and to whatever the demographics and economic distress might be in Berlin, Groveton and elsewhere. It is not specific to hikers; mountain bikers, canoeists and others all have their cars broken into or vandalized. It is just one of the many crimes that occur on national forest lands. There's a long list of others, from homicide, rape, arson to body dumping, gang activity, drive-by shootings, and meth labs. It doesn't make it any nicer to have one's car broken into to realize how widespread the problem is, but it should be wake up call about not leaving stuff in the car. You can't do much to prevent a break in; you can do everything to prevent a theft of your personal property.

king tut said:
The police forces are stretched thin so i am not mad that they are not patrolling every trailhead. But when I hear stories about them riding the cog to arrest mooners, that really pisses me off. If my car got a window smashed in, I would be livid. My car is almost like a member of the family. The fact that law enforcement is being paid to ride a train and arrest hikers is just idiotic. They also seem happy to hand out fines for urinating in a parking lot, etc...

I'm sorry that your car got vandalized. Personally, If I ever saw a car getting broken into at a trailhead, I would probably go ballistic on the cowards. Government seems a lot more interested in collecting fines and fees on us to fund a ***, than to help good people out. I had to asterisk out the dirty word.

Just don't get yourself shot! It's just not worth it!

JJHikes said:
For the record, the only time that our house was broken into it was by teenagers from Massachusetts, up for the weekend with one of the kid's parents.

They weren't very smart, either. They walked back to the house they were staying in -- through three inches of snow from the night before. Took the chief all of fifteen minutes to track them down. :rolleyes:

Frickin' out-of-staters! :mad:
This is perfect! The same thing happened when I lived in Holden and in one case the kid was sitting at the table having a sandwich when the owners came home.
It's probably best that they continue to get the occasional $20 and credit cards. When all is said and done, I would sooner they take it out of the vehicle than bash my body trying to get it off my person.

Cameras: Despite the blurry picture posted earlier, good camera technology is available, and is a lot cheaper than even a short period of full time human patrolling.

Cameras, and dummy cameras, should be installed. A properly administered program would include both, and would also include unannounced installations. The dummy cameras provide a cheap deterrent. The unannounced installations provide the opportunity to catch, rather than deter, some of these folks. Catching a few will reduce their numbers, and also deter others.

Who's paying for those cameras? Who is maintaining them? Do you put them at every trailhead? That is several hundred, if not thousands. Who is going to upload the images and to where? Who is going to cross-reference the images against known assailants to isolate just who they are?

Unfortunately, this is just a cost of doing business. Any vehicle in America parked in a remote area is subject to vandalism.

Waumbek said:
...North Country teenagers. Many, I would venture most, North Country teenagers have no clue what the police are doing--and no reason even to be curious.

I grew up in a rural area and I would say a sizable amount of students at my high school knew who the cops were, where they patrolled, how strict they were, etc. I don't know too many people up this way yet, but of the people I know in the younger generation, they know who the cops are too.

Whether or not you're a troublemaker in a rural area, you probably know someone your age who has been in trouble and what cop(s) caught them, where, roughly when they're on duty, etc. One reason I would suggest it's like this in rural areas vs. more urban areas is that there are less cops serving the geographic area, thus it's easier to know who they are.

One possibility I'd like to add, was it possible the car windows were fogged up? If the person could see into the car and didn't touch anything, like most of you I don't know why they'd bother...if the windows were fogged up (once the break happened, I'd assume they'd defog), it could be more of a mystery?

I have yet to hear about anyone being robbed at the trailhead. Why would hang out at a trailhead to look for targets for robbery when you could stay sober at any bar, bingo hall or mall & find easier targets then fit people with poles, dogs & rarely hiking alone. (many who hike alone being bigger than the youths committing the crimes)

(Some of the hikers I hear are even packing firearms as we've read about in old posts - these are strictly crimes being done by people avoiding confrontation)

Regarding cost: Law enforcement costs money. Given a choice, I'd rather spend it on something that works than on something that does not work, such as temporarily increasing patrols. Also, given a choice, I'd rather accept the cost of law enforcement than lay down and accept being a victim. That's just a principle; others probably disagree.

There is no single perp profile for this vandelism. Some are locals and some are passing through. Petty theives are everywhere. You don't have to be a local to recognize an opportunity for a possible quick grab of money, drugs, alcohol, or fencible merchandise.

Back in 1995, I was robbed at the East Pond TH. I saw the perps, and they were in a van from Mass. I was hanging at the river, just down the bank from my truck. I walked up to get a beer from my truck, which was not locked. I guess I was naive, but I didn't even think about it since I was so close to my truck. I saw them pull into the lot as I headed back down the bank. A moment later they were peeling out fast out of the lot. When I went back to the truck I found that they had grabbed my pack, which had my money and camera. They didn't know what they had until they checked, but it was an easy hit.

I don't consider all the perps out-of-staters, even though I know my perp was one. They are everywhere, and it's an easy hit.

Giggy makes a good point about we hikers not having a very scary reputation. I started putting extra orange items in view because I've learned that everyone instantly thinks I'm a hunter as soon as they see the orange. And people seem to fear hunters. People who are known to be armed are usually left alone. ;) Hikers are not thought of as armed, but as tree-huggers who wouldn't harm a flee, and I resemble that remark!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
I started putting extra orange items in view because I've learned that everyone instantly thinks I'm a hunter as soon as they see the orange.

Great suggestion!

David Metsky said:
Thieves aren't looking for hiking/camping gear - too difficult to sell and they have no idea what is good. Electronics, cash, jewelry.

Concur on this one.

Best thing to do is take it with you or leave it home. Leave nothing of value in the car, including the registration, insurance, etc, and especially not your wallet with license, credit cards, medical insurance info, etc. :eek:

AND just the thought of having to go to the RMV and replace any of that car stuff- and get charged for it- is nightmarish. The same with getting replacement cards from insurance, etc. Why you'd leave jewelry in the car is beyond me, wear it or leave it home!

About all I leave in the back seat are some books- haven't heard of too many thieves looking to read anything lately.

Bad enough you'll need a new window.

There is an article in the Union Leader (Sunday, 11/25) about the North Country law enforcement cooperation. Includes F&G, state troopers, highway patrol, and local police, and quotes the Pittsburgh chief (Richard Lapoint) as saying they have over 300 square miles to patrol, and how people come to his house and up to him in the grocery store, etc. It doesn't appear to be in the online edition.

Tim

RoySwkr said:
I agree that leaving valuables in cars is a bad idea that will only encourage more break-ins, and writing online that you always leave your wallet is worse. But I'm not sure what is bad about identifying problem trailheads, the bad guys will find them from a map or just driving around.

QUOTE]

Agreed, in fact, if they are "problem trailheads" then they are already known to the dirtbag thieves aren't they? I for one appreciate notices of which trailheads have been problematic so that I can properly plan my trips to minimize usage of "problem trailheads" or take other steps like parking at another more visible trailhead, taking the hiker shuttle, etc. I also agree that the best way to deter these crimes is to make it unprofitable by not leaving anything remotely valuable in your car.

To the OP, watch your credit cards and credit report. You may want to contact one of the three major credit reporting agency and ask to have a "credit alert" posted on your file. It's free and will last 90 days (can be renewed) and it will require the credit agency to contact you for authorization when anyone attempts to open a new line of credit in your name. It sounds like you most likely scared off the thief, but he/she may have found what they were looking for in your "mega-girly wallet" with your i.d. credit cards, etc. It's not uncommon for thieves to take you CC #'s and leave the cards behind. That way they can use them or sell them and you will be none the wiser until the damage has been done and they've maxed out your card. A worse scenario would be that they use the info they found in your wallet to open a new credit card at Best Buy or Sears just in time for the holiday's...

All trailheads are potentially problematic, even Pinkham Notch, Highlands, etc. To imply that some are "safer" than others sends the wrong message. Leave nothing in your car regardless. In any event, it's fairly easy to figure out which ones are remoter than others if you are worried about the car itself being vandalized and can take or arrange a shuttle.

forestgnome said:
Giggy makes a good point about we hikers not having a very scary reputation. I started putting extra orange items in view because I've learned that everyone instantly thinks I'm a hunter as soon as they see the orange. And people seem to fear hunters. People who are known to be armed are usually left alone. ;) Hikers are not thought of as armed, but as tree-huggers who wouldn't harm a flee, and I resemble that remark!!!! :cool:

I have a hiking, non-hunting friend who has an NRA sticker on his truck. Not because he's a member, but in the hopes that any petty thief might think twice about breaking into his car :)

QUOTE]
It's not uncommon for thieves to take you CC #'s and leave the cards behind. .[/QUOTE]
Thanks...I was not aware of this but it makes a lot of sense. :eek: