Winter camping near Gulf Hagas?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'd like to do some exploring near Gulf Hagas. Does anyone know of any campsites (legal,bootleg,or other) in the area?

Reactions: arm
there are tons of sites on the river alongside the road on the way into the trailhead, I am just not sure if the road in is plowed or accessible in winter times. It would be a long snowshoe/walk/ski in from the main road if it is not. If I recall correctly there is also at least one gate that may be closed and blocking the road in.

Here's the website of the organization that manages the KI-Jo Mary Road (of which Gulf Hagas is off of).

http://www.northmainewoods.org/camping.html

The gate house has all the information you'll need. You can probably just drive up at this time of the year and inquire (just make sure to find out the operating hours!)

A phenominal place to camp is Hay Brook Falls, although access is probably very difficult or impossible in winter. You could probably park and then snowshoe to it though.

roadtripper said:
The gate house has all the information you'll need. You can probably just drive up at this time of the year and inquire (just make sure to find out the operating hours!)
I believe the gatehouse closes for the year in mid-October so I wouldn't expect to find anyone there

The AMC Little Lyford Pond Camp is nearby so you might check with them for road conditions but bring $$$$ if you want to stay there

A couple times I was able to traverse the KI road in winter, its having been plowed and compacted by logging trucks. Since the AMC took over the land, the road, at least at the Greenville end, is apparently closed less than a mile from the gate with a parking area plowed. The KI road from there is closed to traffic except for snowmobiles and I presume non-motorized access.

It's a shame, in my opinion, because I enjoyed a portion of Gulf Hagas in winter using xc skis and this trip is no longer reasonably accessible to me without staying at Little Lyford Pond. I had also looked forward to a couple of loops which included portions of the AT and, similarly, they are no longer accessible.

Little Lyford Pond is indeed pricey but considering its location and the inclusion of meals, its worth consideration. If you have a group and would like to do your own cooking I suggest staying at the "nearby" AMC cabin at Moose Point. That is more affordable, divided up amongst a group. Technically it's capacity is 6 I think but I recall that, if allowed, you could easily enjoy the cabin with 8.

Can't suggest any specific tentsites but would caution that some of the most dramatic scenery in the Gulf could be extremely hazardous in snow and ice.