Winter Cooking: Just Add Water?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
So do you bring ingredients and put effort into it, or is the day long enough as it is and let's just boil some water?

Assume it's 0*F, 5pm, at a lean-to, after a five-mile snowshoe, with overnight pack, dinner for three.

In your experience, have you been up for actually cooking, or did you prefer to heat & eat?

If you cooked, what was it and how did it work out?

Last edited:
It depends on the mood. If it's been a long hike with a lot of exertion, then I like to just heat-n-eat. But, for only 5 miles, I like some cooking. Just be prepared in case the stove malfunctions, raw food that was meant to be cooked really sucks.

I had an issue recently with my Dragonfly, one of the o-rings was so cold it wouldn't work properly, and it just dumped fuel past it rather than down the pipe. I had some backup food and it was just on a dayhike, but it shows how things change in the winter and over time.

1) Get a vacuum sealer. Make a home cooked meal (chili, shrimp alfredo...something with a bit of sauce, but not too much).

2) After you've made your dinner, take the leftovers and freeze them to the point where they are not completely solid, but close to it. I suggest putting these into a bowl so that the mass will be about 2/3 the size of your cooking bowl.

3) Once almost froze, seal it into the vacuum. Double seal it to avoid leaks.

*Note, don't make the mass too thick or it will take a very long time to thaw out. You are better off making 2-3 servings instead of one big one.

4) When you are in the woods, get a 1/2 pot of boiling water going. Toss in your meal, still in the bag. Boil for about 8-10 minutes. After thawed, take the bag out, cut the top off, stir and eat right out of the bag. Repeat as necessary.

*Dishes: One utensil per person. Cleanup is just licking your spork clean and you are done.

*With three people, I'd get two or three stoves going. One can be making hot drinking water while the others are cooking meals. Your stoves will be going full tilt for about 30-40 minutes.

Practice at home. Sample often. When you are making dinner, think about how it would be in the woods. Again, you want some type of cream or sauce as it melts and helps to heat up everything else in the bag. Too much (like a soup) is too hard to freeze and seal as liquids tend to get pulled through the seam and don't seal right.

Haven't got a good breakfast recipe yet, so that is always sausages and hashbrowns fried in a frying pan.

Last edited:
I like to minimize cooking time - anything that has to simmer is out. Minimize, minimize... that doesn't mean it won't taste good, just take foods that cook or prep fast.

couscous - great and fast to prepare filler!

rice - no
instant rice - yes

stir frying - good
boiling food - no, unless you pre-boil at home (onions, veggies)
baking - leave that oven at home!

fajitas - excellente!

eggs - awesome, especially if you just crack them and store them in a plastic bottle - you can take 10+ eggs very easily and compactly like that. Fast protein

A hunk of cheese will make everything good... unless you're lactose intolerant.

Last edited:
If there aren't at least two dogs pulling the load, it's heat-n-eat (or eat "it" cold even), in the backcountry. Cooking for more than a few minutes takes too much fuel and too much standing around in the winter, IMO. If I heat-n-eat, I can sometimes use only leather ski boots and leave the double boots and snowshoes at home.

Of course, this could be one of the reasons I'm always solo in the backcountry . . .

If I am doing a one night trip, then it is real food. My last overnight was to Isolation and I brought chili for the group. I am, however, in the future going to do what Seema does for the gourmet trips and give each person a bag to carry. I do not mind cooking, I’m just getting too long in the tooth to carry 60 lbs. The last time I did an overnight to Crag Camp I brought 20 crab cakes and shared it with the hut. I really need to work on this go light thingy.

I didn't use to like backcountry cooking. However, most of my recent longer trips have been with the Wilderness Education Association, sometimes otherwise known as the Wilderness Eating Association. Bulk dry rations and a NOLS cookbook. I hated it at first.

Recently I've really come to enjoy making a good meal in the backcountry. It takes a little more planning and time to cook, but I think it's well worth it. It's also a lot more economical when traveling in a group (more than 2). Three or four people cook (and make water) together with two or three stoves. It creates a nice social dynamic and good food is, well, good. On one of my more recent trips I finally gave in to the idea of baking in the backcountry. I purchased one of those outback ovens and I will never even THINK of going anywhere without it and something to bake. Perhaps especially in winter. The only thing better than hot steamy cornbread to go with your chili is french press coffee with sweetened condensed milk. Food can do amazing things for body and mind.

Another component to this in winter is that cooking it yourself allows you to add nutrition (aka fat) to make the meals hardier. As far as I know none of those heat and eat bagged meals have anywhere enough fat to be substantial for any sustained winter trip. Of course you can add it yourself or snack on things that have what you're missing...

Lest there be confusion on the point --

The "heat and eat" here is stuff like Ramen noodles (augmented with canned chicken), instant oatmeal, instant rice, etc. I also make oatmeal bars with an outrageous fat content for winter use. I don't use the commercial pouch foods.

Our camp food varies with the trip
winter camping-it's Lipton Noodle packs with maybe some canned chicken or ham to dress it up. cheese and pepperoni snacks. Leek soup for a beginnig warm up before dinner

kayak camping- eat like kings-who cares what it weighs-just stuff it in the boat! cold beer and fresh salad on the third day out-gotta love it.

Eating-that's when car camping really looks good!

Dug has it closest to what we like to do. We like to dehydrate homecooked meals, vacuum seal, and reheat by adding water, waiting 10-15 minutes, and eat. Voila! Home-cooked meal! Nothing simpler. It's "real food" whether one night or several. Some (but not all) of the meals we like to eat can be found here:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...ts=f_k9FFLVsv&sig=wzSXMUSTY_YrswPCsPp9eZBErWY

NOT to be confused with freeze-dried foods, which we used to use/like, but seldom do anymore.

Actually cooking food from scratch in the backcountry is also fun, given the time. A different process (almost a different thread?).

Breakfast? Why does breakfast have to be "breakfast"? :D

I for one do the just add water thing almost always unless going car camping at the base. I do always try it at home first to make sure it doesn't give me the old "salad shooter" action while in the woods. :)

rhihn said:
Dug has it closest to what we like to do. We like to dehydrate homecooked meals, vacuum seal, and reheat by adding water, waiting 10-15 minutes, and eat. Voila! Home-cooked meal! Nothing simpler. It's "real food" whether one night or several. Some (but not all) of the meals we like to eat can be found here:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en...ts=f_k9FFLVsv&sig=wzSXMUSTY_YrswPCsPp9eZBErWY

NOT to be confused with freeze-dried foods, which we used to use/like, but seldom do anymore.
This has come up before and I strongly second rhihn's advice. The above referenced Linda Yaffe book is far and away the best single book on the subject, and it serves as a starting point for you to think about your own recipe ideas. I've been doing this method of home dehydrating real meals for years. I teach a trek leader guide course each summer where I prepare enough of this kind of food for 30 people for a week in the woods. They always ask for recipes.

Home dehydrating is easy and takes only a one time purchase of inexpensive equipment. To eat you only heat enough water to rehydrate the food. You can rehydrate in a bag so there is no cleanup. And you end up with a hot home cooked meal with virtually no work in the field.

Almost as good as home dehydrating for the less ambitious is Enertia Trail Food. It is made the same way as you would at home - dehydrated, not freeze dried. I also recommend trying a few of these.

Winter allows stuff that summer doesn't

Winter provides the chance to cook things that you can't do during the summer. When we go, we plan nice dinners. Lunch and breakfast are quick things, but dinners are events.

Usually one person in the group is responsible for each dinner, that way they can prepare the "at home" prep stuff. Once it's prepared, we may distribute the weight of it out to equalize with other group equipment like tents, cookware, etc.

Note that some of these require a stove that can simmer, or at least run on fairly low heat.

Here are some of our favorite recipes:

-------------------------------------------------

Chicken Stroganoff

1 lb. chicken breasts
1 – 10 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
1 – 8 oz container of “rondele” brand Garlic and Herbs flavored Gourmet Spreadable Cheese (usually in the upscale cheese section at the store)
1 ¼ cups milk
1/8 cup garlic powder
½ cup parmesan cheese
1 – 10 oz can of mushrooms
1 – 12 oz bag of egg noodles
2 tbsp. soy sauce
ground black pepper

At Home:
Cut chicken into small pieces and sauté until brown. Add mushrooms, garlic powder, pepper (to taste), and soy sauce.
Simmer 10 minutes.
Add “rondele” cheese spread, milk, and cream of mushroom soup.
Simmer 25 – 30 minutes. Don’t let sauce get too thick, use milk to thin if necessary. It will thicken when reheated on trip.

To prepare it for trip: Cool and package sauce, put parmesan cheese into separate package

On trip:
boil egg noodles
Put stroganoff into pot and heat
Drain egg noodles when done, stir in parmesan cheese, then serve egg noodles, and put stroganoff on top.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Gado-gado noodles

Ingredients:
3 packages ramen noodles (throw away the flavor packets)
1 lb. chicken breast – cubed and pre-cooked
3 tbs. Peanut butter
3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs diced onion
1 chicken bullion cube
3 tbs butter
¼ tsp garlic powder
3 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs sunflower seeds
½ cup cashews
3 tbs vinegar
Green onions (optional)

Serves two hikers.

Prepare at home:
Put sunflower seeds, diced onion, butter, cashews (if desired) and pre-cooked chicken into container/Ziploc #1
Mix bullion cube with brown sugar, garlic powder, ¾ cup water, vinegar, and soy sauce – put into container/Ziploc #2
Chopped green onions (if desired) in container/Ziploc #3

At camp:
Boil ramen noodles (about three minutes).
At the same time, in a frying pan, heat the contents of ziplock #1. Cook medium heat for two minutes. Add peanut butter and stir, making sure not to burn. When warm, stir in package #2. Pour over the hot noodles. Sprinkle optional green onions (ziplock #3), if desired.

----------------------------------------
Sweet and Sour Curried Couscous - serves 2

1 cup couscous
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup raisins
2 tbsp. dried green and red peppers
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup other dried, chopped fruit
4 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp margarine
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp dried onion
3 tbsp soy sauce
3-5 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup nuts and seeds
at home: mix everything except the couscous, and heat enough to melt the margarine and dissolve the brown sugar then package in ziplock bags (double bag).
At camp: cook the couscous per the box. Separately, heat the contents of the ziplock bags. When both are done, serve a scoop of couscous and top it with a scoop of the mixture.

Good looking recipes, Expat. I'll have to try those...at home. ;)

In the woods, especially in the winter, I am strickly heat and eat, I don't even have to rehydrate or clean anything as I use MRE's; boil water, add MRE pouch, remove, eat contents, dispose of pouch, drink boiled water. Done.

Chip said:
Good looking recipes, Expat. I'll have to try those...at home. ;)

In the woods, especially in the winter, I am strickly heat and eat, I don't even have to rehydrate or clean anything as I use MRE's; boil water, add MRE pouch, remove, eat contents, dispose of pouch, drink boiled water. Done.

I had heard that drinking the water that had plastic bags in it can make you sick?

dug said:
I had heard that drinking the water that had plastic bags in it can make you sick?
The MRE pouches are some sort of coated foil. I haven't gotten sick from doing this, but there may be something that leaches from the pouches that isn't good long term or in high doses. I'm hoping for the best on that front, but since soldiers eat this way, everyday, for extended periods, I'm probably safe. I suppose I could use the MRE heat-packs and just boil the water I want to drink - same end result with no worries.

I must say it sucks to pour my boiled water away and know I'm going to have to start all over again!

As for the MRE's and the like: Make your own!!! Nothing like a home-cooked meal that you can reheat in the woods. While my buddy is struggling through yet another pot of tortellini's, I'm munching on poached salmon with a white-wine cream sauce over risotto.

Thanks, everyone. This board bats a thousand in providing good info.

We have chili that we made for last weekend (for a certain contest involving those who shall not be named) and will be heating that up.

I'll also be keeping half my stuff in the bottom of the bag.

So what's the wackiest meal you've cooked in wintry conditions? I wanna hear about lobster thermador in Edmands Col.