Winter Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gris

Reaction score
When and where? Did i miss something? I did a search and nothing curent came up. We long distance hikers have to plan in advance ya know... :D

Sure.. like hiking through those long palms and fern-like things would be fun. What about cripplebush and blowdown??? :rolleyes:

Funny, I didn't see your copywrite on those photos?? You're probably spending all your time at the beach. I figured my photo link showed your house anyhow!!

onestep said:
the Beaudry? :D :D :D

Two votes for the Beaudry. We win. It's going to be on the Beaudry. Can someone with a four wheel drive vehicle give me a ride?

The first shot is not mine, but the second shot (the panoramic one) is mine. No, I didn't do it on crutches...I took that shot a couple of years ago.

As for my house, no I'm not in the photo that you provided a link to. I live in Hawaii Kai, which is east of the big city of Honolulu. Here is the view from my lanai (patio). :)

My house is to the right of the island in the lagoon at the top of this photo. The Koolau Mountains are the mountains you can see from my lanai. My panoramic shot was taken from the ridge on the range.

Of course another advantage of having a winter gathering here is that you get the North Shore winter swell then. ( I shot that one a couple of weeks ago). But then my local East shore break is not too bad either. [I shot those handheld with my new 100-400mm Image Stabilized lens :) :) :) ]

- darren

Those of us who can't make the trek to Hawaii will have to decide which state to invade.

I'm assuming MLK weekend 1/12 - 1/15? I don't believe we've sampled Vermont in winter, have we?

I live in Vermont!

audrey said:
Those of us who can't make the trek to Hawaii will have to decide which state to invade.....I'm assuming MLK weekend 1/12 - 1/15?...... I don't believe we've sampled Vermont in winter, have we?
Well, if ya'll are thinking that you want to "sample" Vermont, I'd be honored to have a VFTT gathering at my place - MLK weekend would be great. Got a ton of room for parking and camping and if people want to stay inside there is plenty of room for that as well - even have quite a few beds and couches. Being centrally located there is a lot of hiking (VT 4K's and NE100 highest) within short drives (under 1 hour) from my place as well. And I have this nifty little place to have a fire in my back yard too.......maybe do a pig roast?

WARNING: yes, these are pictures of a pig on a stick!

Did someone say pig roast???????

Yum !!!!!!!!

UFCM - I'll be up for a roaster next Fall!

- darren

So..., I gather (no pun intended) there has been no choice or discussion preceding the current topic. Caveman: where in Vt. are you located? How far from civilization (and skiing)...? It seems travel is often an issue in the winter. I think maybe travel was the reason for the relatively low turnout last MLK weekend, though the spot in Maine was idyllic and i would vote for it again. :D BTW - Floridians have dibs on inside sleeps, otherwise they freeze and die... :eek: The Hawaii option actually sounds real good to me, though I will have to start pumping iron and practice holding my breath underwater before such a trip... ;)

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Well, if ya'll are thinking that you want to "sample" Vermont, I'd be honored to have a VFTT gathering at my place - MLK weekend would be great.
Great idea! Count my vote for Caveman's place. I have 3 more VT 4Ks to do, anyway.

Any room for music?

Some Answers.......

Location: Proctorsville, VT (zip code: 05153) 20 minutes off of I91 (exit 8 if you are coming from the north or exit 6 if you are coming from the south), I live on a little dirt road that makes a 1 mile arch off of the main road (103), very few neighbors (read: we can get away with being loud), I am backed up to Proctor Piper State Forest. As far as skiing is concerned: 5 minutes from Okemo, 25 from Ascutney, 35 from Killington, Pico, Majic, Bromley, < hour from Stratton, Sunapee, Mt. Snow and probably some that I'm forgetting...

Room for music: Absolutely, we have had a band here in the past, the upstairs of my house is wide open and is 22 x 36

Darren: We can have a pig roast in the fall when you get back - I'm always up for getting bunches of people together! :cool:

I know we discussed this a little at the Boston Potluck this weekend and had pretty good support there as well......any other votes?

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Room for music: Absolutely, we have had a band here in the past...

Townie,

Are you thinking what I am thinking???

Gris??

UFC -- Aren't you the guy who makes the killer burgers?
cb

I've seen it!

I think UFC's place would be perfect for a winter gathering! He's got a huge backyard, plenty of parking, a massive firepit, and no close neighbors!!!

It took me about 2 hr 45 mins to get from Pat and Audrey's in Lexington (?) Ma to Proctorsville, VT today.

And since I live only about 20 miles from UFC, I'm really up for a VT Gathering!

There is so much hiking, skiing (both downhill and cross country), snowshoeing, snowmobiling (if ya have one) surrounding Proctorsville, plus cool little restaurants and motels in Ludlow just a few minutes away (for those who won't be winter camping).

Unfortunately, I have to work that weekend (MLK) but I'm close enough to be able to come down and hang out by the campfire a bit each evening.

Last edited: