Winter speed record

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
Howdy!

After reading the posts about the triple crown I got to wondrin'. Whats the speed record for the NH 4K's in the winter.

From Mohamed's Site

At 7:00 AM on December 26th, 2003 Sue Johnston (who goes by the screen name of Stinkyfeet on the hiking bulletin boards) and Bob Williams (Frodo on the bulletin boards) set out to attempt a record for doing the New Hampshire 4,000 footers in winter. At 5:37 AM on January the 6th they returned to their car from the final summit, Mount Waumbek, doing the 48 peaks in 10 days, 22 hours and 37 minutes (11 calendar days).

Pete_Hickey said:
Winter records are SO weather/condition dependant.

The Adirondack record was made during a week of exceptionally beautiful weather, and all trails were broken before.
Do you know whos got that record???

Records are made to be broken, so I won't be surprised when ours is. What *would* surprise me is if whomever attempts it has more fun than Frodo and I did!!

:) :D :rolleyes: :cool: ;) :eek: :D :D

Here we go again..

Everest Speed Records
Lakpa Gelu Sherpa, who previously held the speed record on Everest has challenged Pemba Dorjee Sherpa new speed record on Everest. If this sounds familiar, last year Pemba Dorjee Sherpa set the speed record, then Lakpa Gelu Sherpa broke Pemba Dorjee Sherpa speed record. Pemba Dorjee Sherpa then challenged Lakpa Gelu Sherpa's time. Lakpa Gelu Sherpa's record held up... Pemba Dorjee Sherpa record is expected also to hold up... Guys, have you ever heard of K2?

Background for 2004

The Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation has the pleasure to release this news that Mr. Pemba Dorjee Sherpa (27 yrs), a High Altitude Sherpa of "Dream Everest Expedition 2004" from Gaurishankar - 1, Dolakha, Nepal has been successful to summit Mt. Sagarmatha (Everest), the highest (8848 m.) peak of the World, by setting a new world record of fastest climbing. He completed the distance from Sagarmatha Base Camp to the summit in 8 hours and 10 minutes by starting at 6 P.M. on 20th May 2004 and reaching the summit at 02.10 A.M. on 21st May 2004.

Nice to see the Sherpas don't bother splitting hairs about what the conditions are on the mountain in an effort to diminish the value of the record. Whether at 26,000 feet or 4,000, it's a given that snow conditions in the mountains are variable, and choosing the best window is all part of the game.

Rumor has it that an attempt at Frodo and Stinkyfeet's records will be attempted this winter by another VFTTer (certainly NOT me!!! :eek: )

Now back to the current record. That year there was a heavy winter thaw and rain on Christmas Day making all stream crossings very difficult. Follow that with a deep chill, and you have some mighty tough conditions. Fortunately their quest was completed before the deep chill of MLK weekend. Just an amazing feat (feet?). Heck, I can't even seem to complete my Winter 48, period!