WMNF Trail Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Hillwalker that means for the footway
I also agree with Hillwalker about the 18”referring to width of the trail’s treadway!

So, I think “brushing width” is the only thing that needs to be clarified before sending folks out on work-parties into Wilderness Areas. I’ll make a couple of phone calls on Monday and try to get some documentation about the “brushing width” standards in federally designated Wilderness Areas.

In hindsight, my original post on this topic was unclear as to which I was talking about, i.e. “treadway width” or “brushing width”. So thanks Roy and Hillwalker for making the distinction between these two. I think it has led to some very constructive dialog!

Brushing for sustainability

I do agree that the four wide, eight high is pretty big. I think that was originated so that trails would not grow back in so rapidly. I too prefer narrower trails for their beauty. Last winter the eight foot clearance was still too low as we had a fair amount of crawling under branches and brush with a nearly seven foot snowpack in much of the North East. Hope it happens again this winter:D

Appalachian Trail Fieldbook

The Appalachian Trail Fieldbook, Second edition 2003, ISBN 1-889386-36-7. A 96 page 4 by 6 inch spiral bound notebook states on page 29 "4- by 8- foot clearance: minimum 3-foot width between trees. Trim branches, rather than cut trees, when possible".

Published by the Appalachian Trail "Conference" (now Conservatory) first in 1979.

This of course refers to the AT and not wilderness specifically.

Where the AT runs through Designated Wilderness I believe the standards are the same, but maybe not. In parts of the "hundred mile wilderness" in Maine early this summer the trail was almost grown closed for long stretches. However, the AT through the Lewis Fork Wilderness and the Little Creek Wilderness in Southern Virginia in September looked to be kept at the 4 by 8 standard.

In my USFS Trail construction and maintenence training back in 1983 and workshops over the past 25 years of maintaining and trail construction and AT relocations we were told that you should picture yourself carrying a sheet of 4 by 8 plywood standing on end broadside down the trail and that is how the trail should be brushed out.

So, the vertical clearance is actually about 11 feet, as the 4 x 8 plywood sheet would extend from about hip level on a packboard, which is also what Bob Proudman and Carl Demerow wrote in their AMC Trail Maintenance guidebooks published in the 1970s and 1980s (you can find these out-of-print items on used book sites, such as ABE.com).

possible trail.....

I have a trail section that could use a bit of tlc before winter if there are folks that are eager to do something before winter. The Appalachian Trail from NH 25A to the summit of Mt. Cube could use brushing, blazing, and waterbar cleanout.
I'll post a separate thread in Trips and Events.....

Da saw

The saw is a Fanno FI-1700 Arborist's pruning saw. It comes in a nice leather scabbard and cuts on both strokes. It's fast and very sharp. Happens to be the saw of choice for the ATC Appalachian Trail Boundary Recovery crew. I got mine at LaBonville in Gorham/Berlin, but it's a very popular saw that should be easily obtainable from many sources.

http://search.isp.netscape.com/nsis...rratech.net/product.asp%3Fspecific%3Djqlrgoe4

Last edited:
There's more to it than just trail width ....

Here's pages from ATC guide for clearing/brushing. Most trails aren't on the level. It's important that sidehill trails be brushed on up-hill side and not brushed on downhill side to maintain root structure and to keep taffic away from the edge. There's also factors such as trees. I tend to brush with 5 year plan in mind, but usually depends on how many people you have available etc etc etc. Some kinds of trailside plants grow back faster than others so you need to brush wider for those plants if you want it to last any amount of time.

2960236980088087945S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, I think “brushing width” is the only thing that needs to be clarified before sending folks out on work-parties into Wilderness Areas. I’ll make a couple of phone calls on Monday and try to get some documentation about the “brushing width” standards in federally designated Wilderness Areas.
OK . . . as promised, I’ve made some phone calls and have been unable to obtain any definitive documentation regarding “brushing width” (also called “clearing width”) for hiking trails located in federally designated wilderness areas within the WMNF.

However, in the “for what it’s worth” department, click HERE for a link which provides information on wilderness trails (hiking & portage) in the Superior National Forest in Minnesota. Assuming that I'm correctly interpreting Page 8 of this link, it gives some dimensions which would support a “clearing width” of 4-6 feet.

Last edited:
Superior National Forest ... “clearing width” of 4-6 feet.
Riiight....
bdub.jpg

To be fair, according to the BWCAW ranger manual (which I have around here somewhere), primitive areas only see a portage crew every two years, at most. (And the standard for portages is "only as necessary for passage.")