Ya Can't Make this Stuff Up!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would comment about Lemmings following each other blindly to their doom but recent research indicates that Lemmings apparently have more sense than to follow each other blindly Lemming Suicide Myth, Alaska Department of Fish and Game I wonder what the rescued folks excuse was?

At one point the ski areas in VT used to post signs that if people needed rescue out of bounds that the ski areas cold charge the rescued for the costs for the rescue, I wonder if that is still in place?. Then again with 23 people, the costs were probably the same as a rescue for one person so there was economy of scale ;)

The hiking trail down from the summit to the stone AT shelter used to draw in a lot of out of bounders.

32 §§ 701 to 712. Skiers are liable for rescue expenses, attorneys fees and costs, for operations resulting from their access of terrain outside the open and designated skiing areas; ski area operators and rescuers are exempted from liability arising from rescue operations, excepting only “gross negligence.” Vt.

32 §§ 701 to 712. Skiers are liable for rescue expenses, attorneys fees and costs, for operations resulting from their access of terrain outside the open and designated skiing areas; ski area operators and rescuers are exempted from liability arising from rescue operations, excepting only “gross negligence.” Vt.
I do wonder if they ever actually charge their guests? I could see crappy PR coming out of it. They probably suck it up in the business but use it as a threat.

I do wonder if they ever actually charge their guests? I could see crappy PR coming out of it. They probably suck it up in the business but use it as a threat.
Good question, But if nobody's been charged in 45 years, chances are it won't happen soon. Does VT have more of a problem than other NE states, including NY?

Good question, But if nobody's been charged in 45 years, chances are it won't happen soon. Does VT have more of a problem than other NE states, including NY?
Who said that nobody's been charged in 45 years?

Aside from Killington, I don't know that Vermont has more of a problem than other northeastern states, but if they do, it's because they have better ski areas. Killington, however, definitely has a "lost skier" problem, largely because of the location of Coopers Lodge on the LT and the terraintrap below it. Add to that a clientele with largely little sidecountry/backcountry experience and you have a recipe for lost skiers. Cooper Lodge should have been removed decades ago.

Jay Peak used to have a lost skier problem, but since they started marking the ski area boundary boundary obviously, I think the problem has all but disappeared.

Oh come on. Cooper Lodge has been a smokin kool place for decades. What could go wrong?