Killington, Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yvon

Reaction score
After our first hike of 2010 last Saturday, we decide now to tackle one of the 2 summits that remain in Vermont we need to complete the list of Northeast111.
Saturday January 16, 2010, we leave the house early for the long road to get to Mount Killington Peak. Today we will spend twice the time driving then the time hiking. The path I chose is one of the most popular, the Bucklin Trail. The Bucklin Trail is the shortest way with only 7.4 mi / 13.5 km total and about 2,500 feet of cumulative elevation gain. The journey from home to parking took us 4h00, and also approx. 4h00 total hiking, with several pictures and poses dinner etc. So 8h00 driving and 4h00 hiking, not too effective or profitable for that day. But we wanted to be back the same day.
Wheelerville The road is plowed in winter and parking also. It is a beautiful trail gradually climbs almost from the parking to the summit. The only section steeper is towards the end, near the summit. There are many blue paint markers on trees and are quite visible. And these marks are fairly close. But Appalachian Trail paint markers are white and with snow I had a lot of difficulty spotting them.
This portion of the trail was broken, but it was not easy to follow in some places. And then there is, near the Cooper Loj, a multitude of ski trails in the woods that mingles with the footpath. Finally, with all this, I followed a path and it was a ski trail and I have never found the trail Killington Spur. The Killington Spur begins from the Loj and goes directly to the summit. We reached the summit, but by the ski trail. We had no views at the summit. Apart from the beauty of these trees with frost and snow. I was lucky, I have a single blue sky opening and I have taken a photo of this. We take our lunch at the summit and we return immediately. On our way back, the sky was beginning to discover and we see lots of blue and we start to see the surrounding peaks. And we ended our day with a completely blue sky.
In summary, a beautiful day with no views of the surroundings but what beauties in the forest with all these trees loaded with snow. We have added another summit on our list and we are approaching our goal for 2010, becoming NE 111. :)

SLIDESHOW OF THAT DAY

Last edited: