Metacomet-Monadnock Day 7 & Metacomet Day 1 12/31/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Participants: Jade & Carmen, TramperAl, Dugan - Dugan four-legs was sadly not present as he is taking a hiatus from hiking and exercising to (hopefully) allow a crucia ligament injury to heal

After much back and forth that Jade somehow does not remember, we negotiated the date of 12/31/2005 as our final M-M day. We also decided to include the first 2.3 milies of the Metacomet Trail in CT. Despite her memory gaps, Jade didn't mind the extra couple of miles.

We met at the junction of Phelps and Mountain roads in Suffield CT. We piled us, our stuff, and a dog into TramperAl's car for the drive north. We quickly reached our parking area at the northern end, at the junction of route 187 and North East Street in Westfield MA. This allowed us to have a place to park and only a short walk in to find the M-M along the south bank of the Westfield river.

We estimated the river's depth to be at least 5-6 feet at the slowest widest spot we saw. Although Jade still hasn't crossed the Westfield on foot, she decided her plan to wear her gaiters had no chance of keeping her feet dry and ditched her plan to ford the Westfield today. TramperAl and I were surprised - considering the depth today, and the high water marks, the river may have been as much as 9-12 feet deep when we ferried across by canoe with NH_Mtn_Hiker on the day of the great rains and the closing of route 91.

We stopped to shed layers as we gained elevation climbing away from the river. We came to an open field with a black dog barking at us from a distance. On our route was a ridge of trap rock pieces. We speculated regarding its purpose. We quickly learned that all our guesses were wrong - it was a water source for the city of Springfield.

We continued along by a Bowmen's Club, watching for the signs of a target trail set out for the bowmen. Sick of slipping and sliding on the ice, we cramponed up (except for Jade who had good traction with her screw boots), and continued along. We reached a cleared right of way, removed the crampons, and enjoyed some snacks (coconut macaroons & fudge - extras from my Christmas baking). Some other memorable points were a clump of towers on a high point, then a row of puncheons at a low point. Jade and I agreed that the puncheons were reminescent of the flooded Tully Trail of last fall. Luckily, only one was floating, but not by much. Some were a few inches under the water, most were ice coated.

We reached the road at the end of section 1, then headed to Rising Corner, the "official" start of the trail. There is nothing to mark the spot. We headed back, then up to ? road (sorry TramperAl, can't remember the name and I'm feeling too lazy to go get your map copy) to begin the Metacomet Trail. Bleeehhh... 2.3 miles of road walking - the icy shoulder made it fun. Carmen was very well behaved, not once showing any interest in all the traffic. A couple of locals thought we might be lost and tried to help us with directions. However, TramperAl has the most recent release of a CT guide book that includes the Metacomet Trail, issued only one month ago. The Metacomet was depicted as following the road, so though we saw no blazes, TramperAl was secure in the knowledge that we were on true trail.

We reached the car, seeing the occasional flake (snow that is, not other hikers), then Jade fetched us up to Al's car. Apparently, dropping a car off in the morning is "spotting", while returning in the afternoon is "fetching". After we were sorted back back to Jade's truck, we agreed to troll route 20 east bound in search of an eatery. We settled on Sorrento's Pizzaria. While waiting for our pizza we looked at the Metacomet Trail. Once the pizza arrived - their large is HUGE! - we settled into do some serious eating.

We bade TramperAl goodbye, then I climbed into Jade's truck to go fetch my car in Northampton - we'd carpooled from there. As we headed north on 91, we ran into a traffic snarl. We wondered if the roads were icy due to the snow, or if there was an accident. We got off onto route 141 to head north. 141 was icy in parts. We got back to my car. I decided to head north on 5 to 116, rather than hopping onto 91, as I usually do. On my way north I saw two accidents, and remnants of a third on 91 to the east. I thought of Jade and TramperAl, hoping that all would reach home safely.

Results: TramperAl has completed every inch of the Metacomet-Monadnock trail. Jade and I have Monadnock and the Hockanum Flats remaining. Jade has the Connecticut and Westfield rivers remaining.

Since Dugan's on leave from hiking Jade and I are hoping to hit dogless Monadnock next weekend... I won't feel as badly leaving him behind since it's something he wouldn't be allowed to do anyway.

On the horizon: Metacomet Trail in CT, Robert Frost trail in MA, part of the Metabasset Trail in CT... and who knows what else!