Confused about W/B shells...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
I'm a bit lost when it comes to the W/B shell choices for winter hiking.

I've seen two distinct types of W/B shells in stores, lightweight nylon shells and heavier 3 layer Gore-Tex shells.

I bought lightweight nylon shell pants/jacket sometime ago when I thought those were exactly what I needed. Now I'm not sure. Should I have bought the heavier Gore-Tex shells instead? Or do I need both?

:confused:

Thanks in advance for any info,
^MtnMike^

Hi Mtn Mike,

I don't pretend to be an expert but I do know that the three layer waterproof/breathable jackets are meant to be much lighter and more 'durable' - that is, they have extra rip guard. They're meant for hikers who go on more intense, high-elevation hikes. I wouldn't say that you made a mistake in buying them. Sounds like you wanted the best equipment and the 3-layers do tend to have a lot of extra features. But, if you're climbing in this area, I have to agree that I find these higher-tech jackets to be an extra, unneeded expense for me. They are lighter and more breathable - so it makes sense if you feel cooler in every season, even in the winter - or maybe, especially in the winter. I usually figure that if I'm hiking in the winter that I want a little more warmth on me and that usually means weight - I think in this case, the regular GoreTex (or its' equivalent) is probably a better buy for your money and will provide more warmth.

One material that I found is great in the winter is the PrimaLoft. It's made by a local company (Albany International) and was designed for the U.S. military for combat equipment. PrimaLoft is a synthetic down that is so lightweight and comfortable that you'll think you're wearing a spring jacket. It has an advantage over down though in that when it gets wet, it still insulates. Even around town, I've found I live in PrimaLoft throughout most of the winter.

My suggestion is if you're feeling a little uncomfortable with the better jacket, save it for the warmer wet hikes - you'll find its advantages then. In the meantime, check out campmor or some EMS clearance rack and get yourself a Gore-tex jacket for the winter.

You'll probably find people to disagree with me, but I think it's you that should feel comfortable with what you have and you should get what's right for you.

Hope this helps.

In my opinion, you need something breathable for winter hiking and a shell made of a nylon or polyester fabric with no coating is best. Waterproof/breathable fabrics tend to be much more waterproof than breathable, that's why the more expensive ones come with core vents and pit zippers but you still have the challenge of managing moisture that builds up inside. I wear a breathable shell and pants and if I think it might rain, I'll also carry Precip shell and pants.

Suggestions for a breathable shell would be a L.L. Bean Supplex anorak and MEC Breeze pants.

I agree completely wth mommabear about Primaloft.

IMO, there are only 2 times you need Gtx in the winter here in the northeast. One is for times when the temps are above 25f where you might get wet percipitation of some sort. Think of this past weekend, for ex. Here the waterproof/breathability of Gtx is great.

The second is if you are going to be above treeline for extended periods of time. Gtx is very windproof and allows you to wear thinner layers under it in super windy conditions.

As others have noted, Gtx is sweaty and if you work hard on the trail, you will get wet from sweat. I spend 90% of my winter trail time in a simple nylon or polyester shell jacket with no waterproofness. My current favorite is a simple cycling style windbreaker that I can wear over my base layers and UNDER warmer insulating layers when I stop. It sheds dry snow well and has pit zips.

Hope this helps.