Colden Slide information

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reekee

Reaction score
Colden Slide info needed

I'm looking for information on the slide that descends towards the Feldspar trail. Is it easy to spot from the trail? Can you ascend it without special gear? We're planning to climb it this winter.

Last edited:
I don't know about spotting it from the trail, I've only done the slide from the top down. I will say that I can't imagine doing it in the winter without crampons and ice axe. There are some pretty steep spots that wouldn't be prudent to climb with just snowshoes let alone bare booting it.

This slide is commonly called the Lake Arnold slide. The bottom of the slide is very easy to see from the trail, as the large open rock area comes to within about 100 feet of the trail, and there is little or no undergrowth.

Like any winter outing, what you need depends totally on conditions. All the usual cautions apply, regarding avalanche, falls, etc.

This particular slide is generally low angled for a considerable distance. Once you get part way up, the main slide becomes quite steep for the last few hundred feet. As this is a fairly new and clean slide (1990), the top is bare rock that often does not hold snow or ice. You might get into rock or verglas up there. Near the top, there is an older slide a couple hundred feet to the south that is vegetated, and holds snow and ice. Depending on your preference, you might want to finish on that slide. When I ski the slide late in the season, that's the route I descend.

TCD