Weeks Traverse, safe car spot at Starr King, best direction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
Since this group is the gold standard on hiking info: where's a safe overnight car spot near the Starr King trailhead - is overnight parking permitted right at the trailhead itself, if not should we go to the winter lot on the highway? Also we were planning to traverse from York Pond Tr. to Kilkenny Ridge, ending on Waumbek and Starr King. To my calculations that's 12.3 mi one way /3800' gain - and it would be slightly more, maybe 100' gain more, to begin at Starr King,
plus I've read the N. Weeks descent is steep so I'm thinking it's maybe easier to ascend that. Feedback welcome. Planning car spot Fri 9/22 evening, hike Sat 9/23/23.

Probably too much to hope that last weekend's road race tramped down the bramble bushes etc.
Also probably too much to hope for low, non-wet-the-boots stream crossings at the start of York Pond. But hope springs eternal here.

Any other G2 is greatly appreciated. NETC report last Friday said the fish hatchery closed the gate til 7:19 am, which is way later than I'd hoped to start, given we are two fairly odd aging parents with our twin autistic 29-yo sons, one who hates wearing long pantswhich I was going to mandate given reports of thorns in the brushy weeks section. Thank you all.

When we did a traverse we parked overnight (2 nights) at the Starr King trailhead, dropping the car at probably 10:30pm Friday night. That sucks that they started locking the gate again.

Update: Berlin Fish Hatchery just returned my call. Because of vandalism and groups having parties all night, they are back to locking the gates. It's opened between 7 am - 7:30 am by the staffer whose shift begins at 7:30 am. Closed at 10 pm, even if there are cars in the parking lot.

I've left my car overnight at the Starr King Trailhead a couple Novembers ago for an overnight Kilkenney Ridge traverse. Seemed fine.