Hale Loop (Hale to Lend-a-Hand and back to car)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squashman

Reaction score
Last summer Kurchian asked "why post a Hale hike"? http://www.vftt.org/index-vftt.html. I think it might be the perfect recuperation hike, as it was my first of the summer season (I had been laid low since spring by a nasty case of Lyme Disease and simply didn't have the energy to hike) But my son prevailed on me to head out today, and despite the rain we had a splendid time. Made Hale in book time - thank God for those delightful switch-backs! Dear son beat me by at least 15 minutes and with rain beginning to fall we didn't linger on top, (not much to see anyway) but headed down Lend-A-Hand. It might be my favorite trail in the Whites, with a nice variety of soft forested walking path, glacial erratics to peer at, moose tracks (alas, no moose) and log bridges in the sags. Before long we were enjoying hot soup at the Zealand Falls hut, prepared by the nice croo members. The rest of the walk out to the Zealand Road was wet, but uneventful. Despite the rain it was a terrific hike (#12 for dear son, #36 for me.