plant phenology in the Presidentials (particularly Prenanthes), please PM

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
If any of you are out in the higher elevations of the Presidential Range in the WMNF this week, or have been there the last few days, I would greatly appreciate knowing whether the Boott's rattlesnake-root (Prenanthes boottii = Nabalus boottii) is in bloom yet, as I have to do a plant survey at one of its stations.

This is a small white-flowered plant that's related to asters and dandelions, found from 4500-5500ft elevation in gravelly areas with moderate shelter from the wind:

The easy distinguishing characteristics are deer-hoof-shaped leaves, white composite flowers with ray flowers only, which are usually a nice bright white and more than 12 rays per flower head. The other alpine rattlesnake-roots almost always have at least 1 leaf divided into lobes, and tend more towards a cream-color with fewer rays.

Unless the flowers are out, it is not possible to be sure which species it is; they weren't in bloom at one site last Mon 7/16, and probably by early August it will be too late...

(please don't post specific locations online; PM me instead if you can share more details)

I was on the Huntington Ravine Trail last Thursday and took this picture. The leaves look like the ones you describe, but the flower petals don't look the same. Never-the-less, I'm no botanist, so I'll let you judge.

peakbagger-paul said:
I was on the Huntington Ravine Trail last Thursday and took this picture. The leaves look like the ones you describe, but the flower petals don't look the same. Never-the-less, I'm no botanist, so I'll let you judge.

I may have the name jumbled, perhaps it is three toothed cinquefoil. (I don't have aguide with me at the moment) I saw them on Nelson crag and Glenn boulder this weekend.

Puck said:
I may have the name jumbled, perhaps it is three toothed cinquefoil.
yup. (aka Potentilla tridentata = Sibbaldiopsis tridentata)
Common in alpine & subalpine habitats.

edit: I was scratching my head on this one.... of the two photos I showed, the left one shows the leaves of Prenanthes boottii (the larger leaves) along with the three-toothed cinquefoil. Sorry for the confusion & thanks, as this lets me know I should take another picture of the rattlesnake-root that doesn't show other plants in the vicinity.

btw, I think I have got the info I needed.

edit again: ack! both my photos show cinquefoil leaves! :( I'll probably have to wait until next year to get good photos.

Last edited: