Kilburn Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwacker

Reaction score
decided on a short bushwhack saturday, one i haven't climbed in 5 years, so kilburn it was. was at monument falls parking are at 9, packing up when this truck pulls in, and the driver asks where i was headed. so i pointed up kilburn, and surprise so was she. now who else would be crazy to bushwhack in the snow, when its in the 20's, but christine, cory and sean. so we joined up, tried to follow christines directions, cory led the way and knocked all the snow off the trees for us, and 3 1/2 hrs. later we were standing on top, then went back to open ledge with the view and had a little snack. it turned out to be a nice warm day, a little breeze on top, but sean's thermometer said 28, felt pretty close to that in the sun. with tracks to follow down, it only took 2 hs. to get out. our route started up the brook, then crossed over and stayed south of the brook, and climbed the west ridge. excellent route, only a couple of thick sections, avoided the blowdown, except cory who headed right through the worst of it.

Brian, wasn’t it amazing that Cory found at the 3152’ altitude (UTM WGS 84 - 18T 0588396 4906122) the steel pipe marking the indefinite boundary line dividing the town of North Elba (Lake Placid) and the town of Wilmington! As for the temperature, good thing it did rise some as we climbed since I don't think it was much warmer when we got going than when I left New Russia at 8AM: 6F.

To be fair if it hasn’t been for you and Cory waiting for Sean and I several times you would have been back at Monuments Falls in less than an hour. As it was so beautiful (and somewhat icy) we took our sweet time and countless pictures particularly along the .32-mile slope we traveled up and down in a North-Western direction. That section, which descends from the 3100’ ridge point to the 2450’ hardwood forest, has to be one of the nicest park like area in the Adirondack, it’s exactly the often dreamed about and so rarely encountered open birch forest mixed with tall Balsams.

Kilburn is a gem.

Last edited:
A nice surprise indeed. The first time I've headed off on an obscure bushwhack and had someone parking with the same destination in mind. Great company on a stellar hike in full frosted winter conditions.

Here's bushwhacker and coldriverrun on the summit: Click on it for full size.

And a link to the full Kilburn album:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561563864HYLmtU

And for those who want to compare Kilburn to the other great summit in the Sentinel Wilderness, below is the album to Sentinel. Three weeks ago, and not a drop of snow anywhere! Gotta love the Adirondacks in November.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561335601CmBjHU

Happy Thanksgiving!

I can say with ease that was one of the most enjoyable bushwhack trips I have ever done. Finding the stake was one of those bushwhacking lucky treasures since there was only about an inch of it sticking out of the snow at the time I saw it. The views were worth the climb by themselves. I thought going into the small blowdown field was going to be worth it for this shot of Whiteface.
Christine is on the money with the part about that section of woods as we started our climb, the slightly older growth and underlying spruce made it like a storyland.
To think I thought this day might turn out regretful when for the first time in the last 4 years I forgot to bring a major gear item (gortex jacket) and had to wear/carry 6 under layers. But thanks for letting me lead and brush the snow of the trees so I had more to wear! And I hope I don't get fined like Mats Roing did at the Lincoln trailhead for your "Cory in the restroom" shot! :D

Hope the next one is as enjoyable as the last.

Cory