waumbek 1/23/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 1/23/11

trails: starr king

conditions: good packed track the whole way. coming down in snowshoes i was actually lamenting how hard packed it was. one large stepover blowdown on ridge between peaks.
parking lot across the rd. on rt. 2 had not been plowed since the last drop of snow, but still ok in a small front wheel drive car. a bit hard getting back out of lot due to snowbanks blocking the view of the rd. while trying to keep momentum going to the pavement. there is currently room for 1 car (without blocking rd. or driveway) just before trailhead where they stop plowing.

equipment: snowshoes and light traction. i stayed with snowshoes, but others were using spikes without trouble. snowshoes probably still a better choice on the ridge where sections weren't as hard packed.

comments: pretty nice day for a hike. cold, but still early on. winds were picking up a little on my descent, but not bad in the trees. definitely a day to keep moving. real pretty in the woods. great to be out.

bryan

[email protected]