Rountop, Silver Hollow, Plattekill and Overlook (Catskills): April 20, 21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
SonnyM and I arrived early Friday evening along Gillespie Rd (outside Tannersville, Haines Falls). Rainy overnight gave way to sun Saturday morning. Started out for Roundtop Mtn. Good to see that area now designated as DEC land. Found the cairn rock pile on the summit. I did that peak originally in winter whacking over from High Peak.

Next we headed for Silver Hollow Mtn. I remember the upper part of the local Notch Inn Rd in much worse condition before the fancy alpine home was added on the hill at the end. There are yellow and blue marked trails that aid ascending this mountain.

Sunday, we hiked up the heavily visited Overlook Mtn Trail, bypassed the tower link trail, and continued on for Plattekill Mtn. Followed the ridge up just after the Echo Lake turnoff. The slopes are all hardwoods with a series of "step" cliffs. The summit is an open spruce area, with a view east through the tree branches, now open for views to the east. Finished with a lunch stop at the fire tower.

Fun weekend! We had thoughts of doing Olderbark Mtn Saturday (time permitting). Perhaps if we were still "youngerbarks", we could have pulled it off ;).

Last edited: