Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong turn on Jefferson Notch Road

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Bear Notch and Sawyer are Snowmobile routes, too. Difference might be that Jefferson Notch is NHDOT and not USFS?
    Bear Notch and Sawyer River Rd are at the end of the snowmobile route, i.e. they are not a continuation of a trail. Jefferson Notch Rd is a continuation of the trail which runs on the side of Base Rd.
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

"I didn't know you could do that."
    On my first trip to Flagstaff Lake, I saw a road from Carrabasset Valley to Flagstaff lake on the Maine highway map. This road had a good roadbed, but is very overgrown with trees brushing both sides of my Pathfinder. Eventually I found a spot to turn around. Back in Carrabasset Valley I asked someone about it, and they said "No, you can't get there that way". No closure signs.
    WM 48 / NE 67 / NE 100 / W48 / |62.4%
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Region Leader Presidentials-North
    Trail adopter Carrigain Notch Tr, Stillwater Jct to Nancy Pond Tr.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    "I didn't know you could do that."
    On my first trip to Flagstaff Lake, I saw a road from Carrabasset Valley to Flagstaff lake on the Maine highway map. This road had a good roadbed, but is very overgrown with trees brushing both sides of my Pathfinder. Eventually I found a spot to turn around. Back in Carrabasset Valley I asked someone about it, and they said "No, you can't get there that way". No closure signs.
    That most likely would have been the "Carriage Road" Maine huts and trails got permission to reopen it for public use at one point but prior to that it was a private road normally gated road. .

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    That most likely would have been the "Carriage Road" Maine huts and trails got permission to reopen it for public use at one point but prior to that it was a private road normally gated road. .
    There is a good road that accesses the Flagstaff Hut used by Maine Huts. Saw one of their trucks bring a BIG load of fire wood in there last summer. I'm not sure where this road originates. Maybe off Slide Dam Road.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I rode through Carriage Road a few years back. No gates. Was coming back from Grand Falls.

To continue the drift, the Carriage Road turns off the East Flagstaff road just after it splits from Long Falls Dam road. The land is that the road runs through is owned by one of the Maine native tribes that bought the Dead River holdings in 1981. They also lease land to Maine Huts and Trails. The Carriage Road saves about an hour of driving from the west side of Bigelow to the Flagstaff side. Its definitely a seasonal road but expect its used privately during winter forestry operations.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    There is a good road that accesses the Flagstaff Hut used by Maine Huts. Saw one of their trucks bring a BIG load of fire wood in there last summer. I'm not sure where this road originates. Maybe off Slide Dam Road.
    We followed a road from the north end of Flagstaff Lake Hut parking lot out of curiosity and found it was only about a 15 minute walk to the hut.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    To continue the drift, the Carriage Road turns off the East Flagstaff road just after it splits from Long Falls Dam road. The land is that the road runs through is owned by one of the Maine native tribes that bought the Dead River holdings in 1981. They also lease land to Maine Huts and Trails. The Carriage Road saves about an hour of driving from the west side of Bigelow to the Flagstaff side. Its definitely a seasonal road but expect its used privately during winter forestry operations.
    The Carriage rd is being used now as a logging road. One of the tribes is logging out of there. Poplar Falls hut is on leased native tribe land. When the site was selected for the hut, nobody knew the falls was there. Serendipitous.

Driving to Welch-Dickey my GPS took me over Sandwich Notch road. Driving my Hyundai Elantra, I only bottomed out a couple times, but its not a road I would willingly take my car over again. Jefferson Notch Road is a hwy in comparison.