Mt Mansfield vs Mt Monadnock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winonanick

Reaction score
I am trying to plan a trip to these parts, and due to time having to choose between Mt Mansfield and Mt Monadnock.

How long are these hikes, difficulty of each? Any other details that would be helpful.

Which do I choose? Advice, words of wisdom welcome.

Thanks

Monadnock is a relativley east hike, very capable by even those people whom do not generally go hiking and may be out of shape. The views for the effort are quite fine and climbing the tower on the summit gives the view that much more of a kick.

Mansfield is in a different categlory from Monadnock.
All the the trails are what many hiking guides describe as difficult due to the elevation gain and distance. However, on a clear day, the views from The Chin (mansfield highest peak) are breath taking and well worth the effort. To the west a great view over lake champlain to the Adaks can be seen and to the west as far away as The Franconia Ridge and The Moose in NH.

Either one is fun and both have plenty of charm.

Actually there are a couple Mt Monadnocks. What patrickbrussil described is Pack Monadnock and is relatively easy as was noted and the tower gives some fine views. The real Mt Monadnock is about 1/2 hr west in Jaffery and is by all accounts the most hiked mountain in the world. It gets pretty busy especially on weekends. The hike will get the heart rate up of those not in shape. You should be able to summit in 1-2 hours depending how much hiking you do. The views from the top are magnificant. There are a number of trials, white dot and white x being two of the more popular that lead from the visitor center parking area. Pompelly trail comes in from Dublin and does the ridge to the top and is a bit longer and somewhat more challenging. You'll enjoy it. I use it early spring to get in shape since the snow leaves early. My mother buried pennies up there in a ledge crevase when she was a child, 1930's, and I have tried often to locate tham but never been successful. So it has a special lure for me.

No, no.

Your were correct.

I was by my own mistake describing Pack Monadnock - with plenty of errors in spelling. I have to stop being up this late. It only leads to trouble

Either way, Mt. Mansfield is about 2700' vertical compared to Mt. Monadnock (in Jaffrey, NH) which is about 1800' vertical, depending on the route. I haven't been up Mansfield yet, but it would be hard to beat the views from Monadnock... when there aren't 50 other hikers in the way. Some of the trails on Monadnock do have steep sections that are a little hazardous, especially when wet.

Does anyone have any info on the Monadnock Mountain in Vermont? Trails? Views?

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Does anyone have any info on the Monadnock Mountain in Vermont? Trails? Views?

Monadnock (VT) is of course a Vermont (and New England) 3000 footer, located up in Essex County along the Connecticut River. Here is a short blurb from the hiking page of nulhegan.com.

Monadnock Mtn (3140') - Lemington
2.4 miles, +2108', 4h30
North of Lemington/Colebrook bridge, on the west side of Rte 102 there is a gravel pit where you can park. View North along the Connecticut River valley and East toward Dixville Notch, New Hampshire. The Summit area is habitat for the rare spruce grouse, commonly known as the fool bird.

You can see the trail and a labeled "lookout" on this map. Personally, I have found that every hike has views, if my eyes are open.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. After some rearranging of schedules, we have decided that heck why not do both.

So now what about routes up them?

Any suggestions on this? We are by no means seasoned hikers, so moderate challenge, willing to get our hearts beating, but be able to walk and enjoy the rest of our vacation the next day.

Thanks
Winona N

I would strongly discourage you from hiking the Sunset Ridge trail on Mansfield. It was the first hike I ever did 15 years ago and I have been hooked on mountains and hiking ever since. This made me waste many weekends over the years hiking through the woods and mountains when I could have been home watching infomercials... Don't let this happen to you :eek: !

Seriously, For a high panoramic views and relatively low effort the Sunset Ridge Trail is you best bet because it follows a bald ridge facing west for over a mile before reaching the summit. If you want to hike a little longer a Maple Ridge ascent looping up to the summit ridge where you can walk the ridge for over a half mile before reaching the summit, then descend Sunset Ridge to you car (both hikes start from Underhill SP on the west side of the Mountain). Maple Ridge has a couple of tricky scambles which makes things more interesting (they can be bushwacked around though). The long trail from the east is relatively easy too but mostly through the woods until the very top (where it also gets a little steep). Also from the east is the hell brook trail, probably not recommended for beginners, as it is short but very steep. My favorite (I am a seasoned hiker) is to start at the Stephensville and take the direct path to the long trail at the south end of the mountain, near a lodge whose name escapes me, then walk the ridge twice (to summit and return) and descend Maple Ridge or Wampahoofus (this is about a 6-8 mile hike total, with alot of it above treeline). If you can arrange it, hike this mountain in clear weather, Sept or October when the air is clearer and not so hazy. The views are spectacular but some of the best items in the view are 20 miles away or more (Lake Champlain, Adirondacks, Whites) The next few days are forcasted to be hazy hot and humid with possible thunderstorms, so this weekend would not be a great Mansfield weekend.

Best wishes,
John

jrbren said:
I would strongly discourage you from hiking the Sunset Ridge trail on Mansfield. It was the first hike I ever did 15 years ago and I have been hooked on mountains and hiking ever since. This made me waste many weekends over the years hiking through the woods and mountains when I could have been home watching infomercials... Don't let this happen to you :eek: !

. . .

If you can arrange it, hike this mountain in clear weather, Sept or October when the air is clearer and not so hazy. The views are spectacular but some of the best items in the view are 20 miles away or more (Lake Champlain, Adirondacks, Whites) The next few days are forcasted to be hazy hot and humid with possible thunderstorms, so this weekend would not be a great Mansfield weekend.

Best wishes,
John

thanks john- that will be helpful information. I am planning my trip out there at the last week July first week august.
How is the weather in those parts this time of year???

Keep the ideas coming - anyone have info on Monadnock??

thanks
nick from winona

There are about 34 miles of trails on Monadnock. It seems that most hikers stick to only a few miles of these, specificly White Dot and White Cross Trails. If your main goal is to bag the peak I would stick with these. However if you want to see more of the mountain and (if possible) less hikers there are many options for loops. The rangers can be helpful in trail suggestions.

I would suggest up White Dot to Cascade Link to Pumbelly to the summit. Going down you could take White Dot or Cross back to the parking lot

or White Arrow down to Ampitheater, Smith connector, over Bald Rock, Cliffwalk, Lost Farm to Parker.

One note, some of the less traveled trails have poor blazes.

Nick. Following is a web site to get a map of Mt Monadnock. There is nothing there that is going to flat out destroy you. Mansfield is going to be much more challenging. The Pompelly Trail comes in from Dublin and is a longer hike than most of the trails but certainly not a lot of vertical or scrambling or anything that will wear you folks out.

http://www.qcc.mass.edu/brink/Trav-rec/mt_monad/monamap.html

Weather late July early August is a real crap shoot. Can be 70's and low humidity or 100 and 100% humidity. High temps and high humidity will make the trek seem more difficult than it is so make sure you have plenty of water in case. You can purchase and I believe get clean tap water from some of the ranger and convenience store right by the parking lot. You probably won't get any water on the trail. See trip reports for I think it was 6/10. NHHiker or something like that, did a nice write up on his trek up Monadnock last weekend in very hot and humid conditions. Plus he has some photos which will give you an idea of the type of terrain.

Good luck
Kerry