Lake Mansfield (VT) Trail System

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
Lake Mansfield is a reservoir nestled in the mountains west of Stowe, Vermont. Mount Mansfield (highest in Vermont) lies 5 miles to the north of the lake.

It was created in 1901 by the Lake Mansfield Trout Club, who maintain it to this day. A lodge for members sits on the shore.

Over the years, club members built quite a number of hiking trails among the surrounding hills and valleys. Maintenance was sporadic and trails frequently fell into disuse, becoming difficult or impossible to follow. At least, that is, until a fresh cadre of members stepped forward with axes, saws and paint brush to reopen the overgrown paths and sign blazes.

I spent a period in my younger years exploring the trails. This involved a lot of bushwhacking as some had not been maintained in over a decade.

The longest of them is the Kingsford Trail, and to me the most interesting. It was named for Dr. Howard N. Kingsford [1871-1950], a physician who was President of the trout club from the 1920s (if memory serves) until his death. With help from other members, Dr. Kingsford opened the trail around or about 1915. According to an obituary that appeared in the Dartmouthh alumni magazine, he was director of Dartmouth Medical School and served in the New Hampshire legislature during WWII.

I spent the summer of 1976 as caretaker at Twin Brooks Tenting Area on the Long Trail, the first year it was open to the public. This gave opportunity to explore the surrounding area and several of the Trout Club trails. I recall a solo trek on the Kingsford Trail, which leaves Lake Mansfield and wends north over Mount Dewey (3,320 feet) before descending to the Dewey-Forehead col (referring here to the southmost summit of Mount Mansfield). At the col, elevation 2,600 feet, lies Devil's Dishpan, a gloomy and broad crack in the rock holding a brackish pool of water.

Bob Hagerman heard about my explorations and asked me to guide him to the spot, which he referred to as "Devil's Washbasin". This was after he had published "Mansfield: The Story of Vermont's Loftiest Mountain" and, as I recall, the geological feature never made it into the book. Anyway, we started at Lake Mansfield, hiked the Long Trail past the tenting area, and walked the 1/4 mile from the trail to the pool. We followed up by hiking the Kingsford Trail over Mount Dewey and back to the Trout Club where we had started.

Devil's Dishpan is known to many cross country skiers, as a X-C ski trail crosses over the Dewey-Forehead col, just a few feet above the pool. The trail existed prior to my explorations in the mid-1970s.

During that summer of 1976 I befriended several Trout Club members who regaled me with the extensive history of the club, the trails they built, and fond memories of Dr. Kingsford. I compiled quite a bit of research and notes which I thought one day I would write down into an historical article about the trails. All of which I discarded (to my great regret now) when I retired and downsized to just a few boxes of belongings in preparation for my move to China.

In 2017 I returned to Vermont to relive hikes of my youth. Starting at Lake Mansfield, I hiked the Long Trail to the summit of Mount Mansfield with overnight stays at Taylor Lodge, Twin Brooks, and Butler Lodge. On the first day I stopped at the Trout Club and happened to stumble upon a copy of "Lake Mansfield Trout Club Trails", a 32-page guide to 15 trails maintained (off and on) by their members. To my astonishment, some of the explorations I had made four decades earlier were noted in the guidebook. I had no recollection of writing anything about those hikes, but there they were. At least I could feel a little bit better about the rash decision to trash my research notes. The Lake Mansfield trail system survived in print and on land. Hurrah! It had not, would and indeed should not, vanish from human memory for all eternity!

The guidebook was written around or about 1999, apparently as part of the Trout Club's centenary celebration. Upon discovering it in 2017, I immediately set aside my hiking plans to make a copy. I would have to hurry though as I wanted to reach Taylor Lodge before dark. I proceeded despite lack of good light in the late afternoon, but managed to make a usable photographic record.

For those with a special interest in New England trails, I am making available a .pdf copy of the guidebook. This is for private use ONLY for people with scholarly or historical intentions. No public posting. Message me with an email address and I will send it along.

Photo of Devil's Dishpan, 1976. Image credit: Bob Hagerman

Attachments

• Devil's Dishpan, Mt Mansfield- Mt Dewey col, VT, summer 1976, photo Bob Hagerman.jpg
    Devil's Dishpan, Mt Mansfield- Mt Dewey col, VT, summer 1976, photo Bob Hagerman.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 0
Devil's Dishpan, 2017

Attachments

• IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    652 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2471.JPG
    IMG_2471.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for your post, it's of great interest to me. I've been exploring the western slopes of Mansfield this winter, and yesterday I skied the W.B. Trail from the state park to the Overland Trail and back. The Underhill side was developed for skiing before the Stowe side, including the Teardrop, Stevens Trail, and Snow Bowl. The Stevens Trail is especially interesting because it had a 30-40 meter ski jump and hosted college winter carnival events. There were first aid caches and even telephone lines installed at several locations, including Devil's Dishpan where the remains of a cache can still be seen.

I'm the volunteer maintainer for Twin Brooks, a pretty easy job, and I didn't realize that it ever had a summer caretaker. It's a beautiful spot. I'll message you my email, I'd love to learn more about the Trout Club trails.

On its way to you, Jamie. I consider Mount Mansfield trail system one of the finest in the Northeastern states. I once had the goal of hiking all trails in the area, of which I counted around 30, not including the ski trails. Some of those trails were abandoned and have been lost to the forest.

Winter, fantastic! I slept in snow caves on a couple of occasions on the open snow slopes above Taft Lodge on the east side of the mountain. Clyde Smith, the (re)discoverer of Cantilever Rock once constructed an igloo in a depression near the Chin's high point. His article with wonderful photos published in Vermont Life magazine (Winter 1967, pp 26-30). Archive here: Visit http://go.middlebury.edu/vermontlife

I suppose overnight excursions above timber line might no longer be allowed.

Did you see the aerial photo of Tear Drop ski trail? https://www.vftt.org/threads/tear-drop-ski-trail.62557/

As for the tenting area of which you are now volunteer maintainer, I had very few overnighters that summer nearly five decades ago. I don't know if GMC bothered to keep anyone there in subsequent years. Certainly it was a memorable summer for me. Hiking/bushwhacking the Trout Club trails was a highlight.

This is how I looked summer 1976, standing in front of my tent at Twin Brooks Tenting Area.

Attachments

• Caretaker's tent, Twin Brooks Tenting Area, Mt Mansfield VT, 1976.jpg
    Caretaker's tent, Twin Brooks Tenting Area, Mt Mansfield VT, 1976.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Thank you for your post, it's of great interest to me. I've been exploring the western slopes of Mansfield this winter, and yesterday I skied the W.B. Trail from the state park to the Overland Trail and back. The Underhill side was developed for skiing before the Stowe side, including the Teardrop, Stevens Trail, and Snow Bowl. The Stevens Trail is especially interesting because it had a 30-40 meter ski jump and hosted college winter carnival events. There were first aid caches and even telephone lines installed at several locations, including Devil's Dishpan where the remains of a cache can still be seen.

I'm the volunteer maintainer for Twin Brooks, a pretty easy job, and I didn't realize that it ever had a summer caretaker. It's a beautiful spot. I'll message you my email, I'd love to learn more about the Trout Club trails.

Is Stevensville Rd plowed to the Butler trailhead?

On its way to you, Jamie. I consider Mount Mansfield trail system one of the finest in the Northeastern states. I once had the goal of hiking all trails in the area, of which I counted around 30, not including the ski trails. Some of those trails were abandoned and have been lost to the forest.

Winter, fantastic! I slept in snow caves on a couple of occasions on the open snow slopes above Taft Lodge on the east side of the mountain. Clyde Smith, the (re)discoverer of Cantilever Rock once constructed an igloo in a depression near the Chin's high point. His article with wonderful photos published in Vermont Life magazine (Winter 1967, pp 26-30). Archive here: Visit http://go.middlebury.edu/vermontlife

I suppose overnight excursions above timber line might no longer be allowed.

Did you see the aerial photo of Tear Drop ski trail? https://www.vftt.org/threads/tear-drop-ski-trail.62557/

As for the tenting area of which you are now volunteer maintainer, I had very few overnighters that summer nearly five decades ago. I don't know if GMC bothered to keep anyone there in subsequent years. Certainly it was a memorable summer for me. Hiking/bushwhacking the Trout Club trails was a highlight.

This is how I looked summer 1976, standing in front of my tent at Twin Brooks Tenting Area.
That platform is still there. it's the only one with an "outrigger". I've hiked all the marked trails on Mansfield and a few unmarked ones. Last week it was the polka dot trail, which leaves Sunset Ridge not far after the Laura Cowles junction and makes its way to a saddle below Sunset Knob, crosses a ravine, and descends an old woods road onto private land. I was lucky enough to meet the landowners and get permission to explore the trails on their 115 acres.

Is Stevensville Rd plowed to the Butler trailhead?
The town does not maintain it but there are a few houses out there and it gets plowed/packed. It's a popular area with backcountry skiers and hikers. It's a rough, narrow and icy road that I wouldn't attempt without good tires and AWD/4WD but there's almost always a Prius in the parking lot.

I consider Mount Mansfield trail system one of the finest in the Northeastern states. I once had the goal of hiking all trails in the area, of which I counted around 30, not including the ski trails. Some of those trails were abandoned and have been lost to the forest.
I would agree, and I had a similar goal, redlining the Mt. Mansfield trail system a number of years ago. There are a number of gems.

I sent you a PM.