Monadnock for sunset (and an idiot)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
Hit the trail around 5:20 at the main lot and headed up to Falcon Spring and then Cascade link to Pumpelly. Great views like always. Summit had one person when I arrived at 7pm. He left shortly therafter and I had the sunset (7:30ish) to myself.

Headed down White Dot to White Cross. About 300yds past Smith Connector I came across a father and his 2 kids (about 4 and 6) heaing down very slow, kids looked beat. I asked him if everything was ok and if they had a light. He did not answer the first one, but said they had no light (this was about 8pm)

I asked him twice if he would like me to stay with him, which he declined. I offered him my spair light (no charge) and reminded him it would be very dark in about 15min. He declined again and seemed very upset.

So I headed down and made sure to notify the ranger at the gate of them and location and time I saw them. He thanked me for the info.

I just could not belief some idiot would put his kids in a situation like that. sory just had to vent.