Carrigain Tower

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the observation tower on Mount Carrigain was built?

I'm assuming the current tower replaced the original fire tower at some point, or does it use the bottom part of the original fire tower?

Anyone know the details?

Thanks

Sorry, I can't answer the question, but found it interesting that the 1972 AMC guide said that the tower was being operated as a WMNF shelter for 8.

The 1960 guide mentions the steel tower, but that's the oldest guide I have.

I don't quite remember when the completely new observation tower was built, but the old metal base framework was there when I first climbed that peak in 1978. I recall trying to climb up on it to get a wider view from what is now (with the tower) one of the finest in the White Mtns.

the tower with walls and roof was there in 1976,i slept in it for one rainy,windy hypothermic night,with just a down jacket,frozen jeans,a space blanket and a candle!!! i haven't drank a drop of jack daniels since!!!!!!
my high school year book photo is of me on the tower. :D :D :D :D :D

During the '70s the tower still had the original cab and was available like other shelters, but was sometimes occupied long-term by hippies who would discourage hikers from climbing it - can you imagine trying to intimidate Gene Daniell?

The Forest Service removed the cab and stairs, OSHA said the original stairs were too steep so they were redesigned when replaced and I think the platform and railings are new but much of the steel base is original. This is different from Old Speck where I think all the steel is new.