Three Beautiful Women

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed'n Lauky

Reaction score
Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of S
With the snows getting soft and rotten in the Whites especially the 4000 footers it seemed like the time to visit some of the gems of New Hampshire. I don’t know if mountains are women, but it’s a feminine word in French so we’ll take that as our guide. Over a three week period we visited three of the most beautiful women in New Hampshire—Mt. Major, Chocorua and Cardigan.

Our first visit was a Mt. Major – Straightback hike. We headed up the Express trail which if nothing else avoids the crowds as it is an unmarked but easily followed trail which many people don’t seem to be aware of.

The views from the top of Major are nothing short of breath taking far exceeding many of the 4000 footers
018-7.jpg

It’s the kind of spot which when you first get up there you just don’t want to leave.
023-6.jpg

Lauky and I met a fellow up there who climbs it three times a day every day maintaining trails a bit as he hikes.
027-2.jpg

The next week we stayed a bit closer to home and did another of the great classic hikes Mt. Chcorua

One of the great spots on the way up is the stop at Liberty cabin which sits about 500’ below the summit.
008-7.jpg

From the top we could take in a splendid view of Washington freshly covered with snow.
014-7.jpg

The views of the ledges coming up are always impressive.
017-6.jpg

Even Lauky takes in the views from time to time.
019-2.jpg

Heading down face to the wind.
027-3.jpg

The third absolute gem, that we took in yesterday, was Cardigan. Rather than simply going straight up we decided to walk the ridge so we headed first over to Orange/Gilman then on to Rimrock and South Peak then past the Warden’s cabin and straight up to the top. From there we headed over to Firescrew and down the ridge back to the Lodge.
The views of this approach are actually from Firescrew
034-3.jpg

Looking up at the granite knob.
033-2.jpg

This view of the fire tower was taken while approaching from the Warden’s cabin
017-7.jpg

Lauky taking in the views from the top.
023-7.jpg

There are a number of absolutely superb peaks that are not numbered among the 4000 footers but which far exceed many of them in terms of the views they give. It’s my opinion that this is the perfect time of year while the snow is still melting higher up to take them in. All three were basically snow free hikes. Another of these peaks would be Monadnock but we won’t be going there because as my Chinese cook always says: “No doggie, no hikie.

Last edited:
Not only were the views spectacular, the photographer made all the difference - composition, color. Makes me feel like I'm there. My compliments!

Not only were the views spectacular, the photographer made all the difference - composition, color. Makes me feel like I'm there. My compliments!

Thanks. There are some hikes out there not on the 4000 footer list that are absolute classics, ones that I try to do at least once a year. I would add the Bald Faces to that list.

For most of them there is no patch to be earned but I will say that the patch that you can get for doing the Belknaps is very nice as you can see in this picture at the bottom of the bandanna. Lauky wears it with pride.

023-6.jpg