Cliff from Upper Twin Brook?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I read in the McMartin guide book (p 119) that you can do Cliff from Upper Twin Brook by ascending a rubble slope that ascends through the cliffs. This approach is via the old Yellow Trail to Marcy. Has any body done this trip? My book was revised in 1998 (pre-Floyd) and reprinted in 2001 so I wonder about blowdown along this route. (I have never hiked the Old Marcy Trail so wonder about its state also.)

Reading through old ADK guidebooks, I gather that the yellow Twin Brook trail was abandoned sometime between 1980 and 1985. That might provide some clue as to its likely present-day condition.

G.

Neil - I've done the trip a couple of times and found it a pretty cool way to ascend Cliff. At least you're out in the open on the rubble slide, and you get nice views back to Marcy and beyond as you climb. The old abandoned trail was deteriorating even when I last did it, though, and that was at least 10 years ago. I think the big problem now would be picking up the start of it, since the logging that's taken place near the site of the old Twin Brook lean-to has really changed the lay of the land there.

But, if you can get headed off in the right direction from there, as you climb the valley of the Upper Twin Brook, it closes in on you pretty quickly on both sides, so there's little doubt where to head and where the remains of the old trail should be. The rubble slide comes down right to the old trail, as I recall, but the first time I did it I bailed out too early and ended up climbing the cliffs for which the mountain is named. Luckily they weren't too severe! So hang in there until you hit the rubble slide, it'll be clear enough. After the slide, you strike the summit ridge north of the true summit, so head left and to the marker.

Anyway, if you do it, let us know how it is!

FYI, the southern end of the abandoned Upper Twin Brook trail is not a legal route.

Being a Canadian I assume Neil would be approaching from the north. However, the southern approach of the abandoned trail is on private land owned by the Finch Pruyn company. Finch Pruyn only permits hiking on the marked DEC trails and the designated herd path to Allen. The southern start of the Upper Twin Brook trail is shown as a private trail on the new ADK Club maps.

I thought it would be an interesting approach from the south, ie. the Allen TH. If the proposed route crosses private land then I guess that settles that. However, would anybody be so kind as to indicate to me the exact latitude of the boundary line between public and private land?

Actually, I recall this discussion on here before (pre-crash 03), If memory serves me, Mark is correct, as it was determined that the former Upper Twin Brook trail start (off the "Hanging Spear" trail) is currently on private property. Not sure where the deliniation between private/public land starts back there, but I'm almost certain the early portions of the "old" trail are private.

I also recall that someone else had chimed in and stated they had done this route and found that it was a mess back there. The destruction from the 99' hurricane basically obliterated most "remnants" of the trail and nature has reclaimed the rest.

Please, someone jump on here and help me out if my memory is fogged.

Last edited:
Tim, my recollections of the prior discussion agree with yours. In 1990 (when the lean-to still existed) I attempted to start up the abandoned trail, not knowing that it was no longer allowed. After about 0.3 miles I could no longer follow the path and I returned to the trail and went in via Flowed Lands.

I don't have the coordinates of the state land boundary. I compared the new 2004 ADK club map with earlier versions and also the old McMartin map. The boundary has not changed at all since at least 1980. So Neil, any map you have is probably still accurate. I suppose one can legally follow the state land boundary line around to the old trail. No telling how overgrown or how bad the blowdowns may be.

Cliff after Floyd - Ouch!

I did Cliff and Redfield the summer after Floyd. It was August 2000. When we retreated off Cliff and left the cliff area, we encontered severe blowdown and ended up drifting too far south. We floundered for a while, sometimes climbing over trees three or four deep and then sometimes crawling under the blowdown. It was during one of these crawling sessions that I discovered an old corduroy from the old abadoned trail. We were south of the height of land in the pass. This area was not passable and only through tremendous effort, and the will to live, did we push our way back to the herd path. I would NOT recommend this route.

As usual,when you want to drill right down, VFTT is a better source of information than a guide book! Would it (the blowdown) be as bad approaching the rubble slide from the North from the height of land between Cliff and Redfield?

I think a north approach would be the prefered way. I haven't been to the base of that slide but from what I saw, blowdown should be expected. It's all about the adventure, good luck.

Neil,

The slide is doable. Since the old Twin Brook trail will probably be loaded with blowdown and regrowth since it was abandoned, why not access the slide from the north? Pass the herd path route up Cliff and head DOWN the Upper Twin Brook abandoned trail. You'll go about a half mile and this time of year you'll see the slide track thru the trees. Cut over to it when the terrain allows. Thats what a party of 3 of us did one winter. The slide exits not too far away from the true summit.

The blowdown in that area is incredible to see (as I found out after crashing about in the area in an unsuccessful attempt on Cliff from Uphill Brook LT right after Floyd)...I scared the heck out of the kids and was prompted to go buy a GPS after that debacle. On our trip to Allen in 2003 we met some people who were trying (without luck) to find the southern end of the old Twin Brook trail.

PS: the McMartin book that I had said that the northern end of the Twin Brook trail was a couple hundred yards from the Uphill LT when it is/was actually only about 50-75 feet from it....Of course I saw it AFTER spending about 2 hours looking for it walking up and down the Colden Dam trail way past the LT toward Lake Colden....

Cliff to Redfield

Hi Neil. ;)

May be this information can help You.

In my first 46er round, October 23 1996, We returned at Upper Works by this old trail, it was very difficut to stay in the trail and this area was similar of the trail to go Santanoni: logging wood wit a lot a spot of creasy water and muddy!!!

We never returned by this way after Floyd, but all this area was blowdonding by this storm!!! Now the trouble is the new young spruces couvert the blowdown, usualy is very dense young trees, if You willl go later in the winter You will have better chance do not falling in spuce trapts.

We agreed with Peakbagr, We hiked Marshall, Cliff from Flowed Lands and go down the slide between Cliff & Redfield in April 18 2003, on a perfect hard packed snow, If I remember We saw your track before the slide and at the bottom!

This slide was a little bit difficul near the top the angle is steep and was icy.

The only trouple We had: We made a bad estimation when We go up near a Brook to catch the small col on the north side of Redfiel summit and We tured to early, We hiked around 30 minutes in a terrible dense forest before We catched the top.

Now with the few snow in the ground and the icy slide We think it will be not the best time to go by this way and if You will go put a rope in your gear!

Have a happy winter hikes!! :) :D

Pinpin Junior.

I like bushwahcking but only when the trees are vertical. Sounds to me like 5 feet of consolidated snow are needed. If we ever get it then it would would something to ascend Cliff from FL then descend this slide and head north to Uphill LT and out.

Avalanches are relatively rare in the Adirondacks, but they do happen.
The Cliff slide does steepen at the top. We were almost avalanched off of it when a huge fracture suddenly appeared with a "crack" directly above me and running horizontally across the slide. I gingerly moved up above it, followed by my 2 companions who where directly below me on the slide.

Given the depth and width of the fracture, I'm sure the slide did eventually go, but thankfully we were outta there when it happened.