1 solo hiker, 2 summits (North and South Kinsman) and a meet up with Rotter Friends

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
Short Trip to the Pics for my hike to North and South Kinsman:
http://s1343.photobucket.com/albums/o793/CrystalCreek7760/North and South Kinsman solo on 12-15-12/

Summits: North Kinsman 4293' and South Kinsman at 4358'
Elevation gain to do both summits and return over North was about 3950'- my largest gain by 850' to date since I started hiking again back in September
Mileage: 10 miles out and back
Trails: Mt. Kinsman Tr. to Kinsman Ridge Tr. head south over North Kinsman then South Kinsman and then retracing steps back over North Kinsman and down on Mt. Kinsman Trail
Company: Started solo, joined Rotter's friends on trip down

Wendy Mitchell from the Rocks on Top Forum had put a call out to a bunch of old Rotter friends to do a hike on Saturday December 12th and the group decided on the Kinsmans. There were to be 10 plus meeting up at 8 am at the Mt. Kinsman trail-head. I really wanted to have enough daylight to get out to South Kinsman too so I told the group I was headed in early and would try and meet them back on North Kinsman after completing both North and South. My final 4000 footer was South Kinsman with Dave Bear and my 2nd to final one was North Kinsman with my son Mountain Man Matt and Dave Bear in 2009 (still have not put in for it) so I was really looking forward to getting back there again.

I checked my phone before heading on trail and listened to a message from my husband. He wished me a wonderful hike and encouraged me to be SAFE! He has been so supportive since I started hiking again and his phone call really encouraged me. I was on trail at 7 am, about a 1/2 hour later than I had hoped to be. There was one car in the parking lot. It was pretty cool when I started on trail. Day light had arrived and the trail meandered along nicely to shortly meet up with a nice wide logging road. I soon de-layered and stopped again a few minutes later to take a call from Dave Bear. He wanted to make sure I said hello to all the old Rotter friends when I saw them and wished me a safe hike. I passed an old sugar house along the way on the left. There were quite a few trail intersections, most I kept right on by following the well marked blue blazes. By the way, this trail is very well maintained with no obstructions or blow downs. Great work and kudos go to the maintainers of this trail!!! The grade began to change and the climbing began. I knew since I had started at an elevation of only 1030' that I had just under 2900' to climb to get to the ridge line at the intersection of the Kinsman Ridge Trail. At 1.5 miles I crossed a substantial brook which was open and easy to cross on rocks. I gather the former Kinsman Cabin was near here though I did not take time to look for any remains. Maybe another time when I am not being so goal oriented. At 1.8 miles I crossed another small brook that falls over a mossy ledge on the left of the trail. It was lovely as shown in my pics. More brook crossing for me at 2.1 miles- Flume Brook I think. Just over the brook there is supposed to be a side path on the right leading along the brook bank for 150 yards to the small steep-walled Kinsman Flume. I wish I had remembered to stop here on the way back, but my head and knees were bothering me so I forgot. More on why the head hurt later on. In another 70 yards the trail turns left with a right taking you on a spur path .2 miles to Bald Peak with fine views to the west. Did not go there and knew I would catch it from Dave Bear for not doing it ( I did by the way). I should take more time to visit these types of treasures. Maybe when the weather is nicer and I am not so concerned about having enough daylight, keeping warm enough and having enough energy left to get down safely.

The trail narrows quite bit now with 1350 feet of gain behind me and 1500' more to gain to get to the ridge line and 1.6 miles. The trail follows Flume brook beginning with easy to moderate grades which later steepen in short rough pitches. The ice flows on trail began around 3150' and became more pronounced as I climbed. I took a few pictures early on and then began to concentrate more on being safe and keeping a steady hiking rhythm. I stopped to stuff down half a peanut butter and fluff sandwich and add a hat, warm gloves and my jacket I had removed earlier. I noticed some snow on the ground and trees, probably no more than 2 inches. The ice flows got to be too much for bare booting so I added micro-spikes which helped to quicken my pace. I was keeping on book time (my goal) and continued my steady climb. Went through a flattish area and continued climbing more steeply again. The trail was full of ice flows now. I crossed several small brooks and .2 before the ridge the trail went right angling upward, then left to climb straight to the top of the ridge. I had to slow my pace a little to keep moving without frequent stops but soon made the ridge line. A right turn would take me toward North and South Kinsman. I turned left though to walk down a bit and get some great pics of Cannon Mountain and Lafayette and Lincoln. It was a nice sunny morning and though it was cool I was loving it!

It was time to get to the summit so I could make book time so I turned tail and started up the trail. I new from a trip report made earlier in the week that this final 400' ascent to North Kinsman was bound to be heavily iced and steep, maybe requiring crampons. I found that to be true, especially with a light coating of snow on top adding to the treachery. I followed someone else's footprints and carefully worked my way up, holding onto anything I could get my hands on. No time for pics here. I was alone and I had to be safe. In retrospect it would have been best to have just put my crampons on before I started up this section, but I didn't. I definitely would not have gone up there though, knowing I would have to come down; without the comfort of acknowledging that I had crampons to wear. I soon reached the summit, looked at my watch and 10:30 am meant I had made book time. Yeah!!! I was elated. Every hike I feel stronger and more confident, like the good old days. It sure feels good to be gradually getting fitter again. :D

I quickly continued on down off of North Kinsman to go tag South Kinsman. The first steep part heading down was a bit precarious but I managed. I just needed to think about how to best get through a few spots safely. The trail across presented some views on the way down off North and heading up South, especially off toward Franconia Ridge. Layfayette and Lincoln where standing tall and beautiful in their winter blanket of white and I waved to whoever might be over there enjoying views of my summits (well they were mine as far as I was concerned, at least for the moment):D. I walked along leisurely across the level sag, resting my legs for the climb to South. It soon arrived and I began marching in earnest again to gain South Kinsman in no time at all. I had an older feller come up behind me on this final approach and we chatted on the way up. He said he posted on another forum besides Views as Pepper and me. When I spoke to Dave Bear about him later, he said he thought his name was John. He had a Canadian accent and was very friendly. He took my summit photo for me and we ate a quick bite together.:cool: It was gorgeous up there with views forever and blue, blue skies. It was a little cool still and I added another hat and an outer jacket to the mix and put on the winter mittens with hand warmers inside. I had to transfer my water from my bladder to my water container as I stopped drinking from the hose toward the end of the ascent and it froze up. I guess I will have to retire it till spring. :(
Continued below:

continued report here:
John said his goodbyes and started out and I left the trail to him, standing for awhile longer until finally meandering slowly back toward North Kinsman eating my bagel as I went along. I ran into 2 young guys from Amherst, Ma who were on there way over to South too. The hike back up North Kinsman wasn't bad at all. My body was getting a bit tired of the ups but my legs kept carrying me along. Good legs! I passed the overlook to the right and was just down around the corner from the pointed summit rock when I ran into Steve from the Rotter Group. Along came Mad River then Linda Mediros and Glenn. They asked me back up to the summit and out to the view point for a visit which I was glad to do. Wow, nice views from here for sure. I hadn't seen them in a long time.Four more folks arrived soon after. We hung out a short while when Steve and Linda decided they would go over to South Kinsman as well. Mad River and Glenn were going back down . I got my crampons on as did Mad River, Glenn staying with his Hillsounds. Thanks Rick for the quick review on how to get those things on. I was pretty nervous about the beginning pitch so I took my time until I built up some confidence in my Black Diamond Strap-Ons. They were awesome performers and I was happy with them. At one point Mad River started charging down a steep pitch behind me and I could tell he needed a place to stop his quick descent. I cleared past a tree just in time for him to hug it to brake his fall. Whew that was close. Rick and I kept our crampons on for a long time down on the Mt. Kinsman Trail until finally switching over to micro-spikes. His were pretty dull so he wanted to wait until the grade of the trail lessened and the ice flows became more tame.We ran into 2 women headed up with only screws on and delicately shared our concern for the final approach to North Kinsman. They graciously listened and hopefully heard our warning. We were slow, taking our time, knees getting a bit tired so Glenn had to wait up a few times for us.
Figuring the ice was mostly behind us we took off our micro-spikes. Soon after, I was walking along on some level ice when the next thing I knew I was down face first banging my right forehead hard and my right knee. I just laid there for a moment holding my head. I couldn't even get turned over at first. Rick helped me into sitting position and began treating me. I knew there was a reason I did not want to hike down alone. That's why I started out earlier than the rest of the group. So, I could get that 2nd summit in even if they all turned back and still get to meet them for the trek down and visit along the way. Rick asked me what hurt, how did I feel, looked at my head, felt my legs and shoulders/arms to assure all was not broken. He went down trail and got a bandana wet with water to cool the lump on my head too. I had to sit there a few minutes because I felt queezy to my stomach. Soon though, I was ready to get up, get a dry layer on and continue on down. He did a final check to make sure I was safe to move on and we were off again. My head hurt some and that right knee ached but I could move! So move I did. On the next corner we ran into Glenn who could hear us from above on the switchback and knew we were ok and managing. The rest of the hike went fine and Mad River and I got to share some nice conversation on the way down.

At the turn off for Bald Peak, Glenn decided to head out and take a look and see if any of the group was still there while we continued down, soon running into the rest of the Rotters Group who had turned back before the summit and had spent some time earlier out on the ledges at Bald Peak. We met Wendy Mitchell, Amy, Glenn's wife, Bob Cosolito and maybe one other (sorry, I can't remember everyone's name). We visited for a few moments and got caught up. Everyone asked about Dave Bear and I shared his phone calls and warm hellos. They are hoping to see him back out on the trail real soon. We all miss him. Anyways, Bob and Wendy and I chatted the rest of the way down. When we arrived at the parking lot we ran into Happy Hiker (Karen) who had turned back earlier. It was warm hugs and hellos again. I did not get to see Hike Fast who was out on the trail today too but turned back earlier on. We all can't wait to get together again real soon. Some headed to the Woodstock Inn but I knew that I had dinner waiting for me at home if I was real lucky.

Guess what, not so lucky. Had to make my own. Oh well. It was another wonderful day in the whites! I came, I accomplished what I set out to do and best of all I was able to catch up with some old hiking friends. I hope to get out with you folks some this winter. By the way, it's 2 days later and that lump on my head is 3 inches across, not too raised now but sore when I bend over or raise my eyebrows and black and blue. My hubby thinks I should wear a helmet.:) I don't know about that. I am going to keep trying to find folks to hike with this winter though so I won't be out there alone. It is the wise thing to do cuz I never know what can happen. I feel pretty confident in my own abilities but let's face it. None of them are going to do me any good if I can't think clearly because I have a head injury. MMmmm. Food for thought. Ok- I promised hubby, I will continue to find friends to hike with in winter.

Sunshine Chris

It was great to see you Chris - glad you got to both peaks and are feeling more fit. Sorry to hear about your accident - that lump looked pretty nasty.

It was great to see you Chris - glad you got to both peaks and are feeling more fit. Sorry to hear about your accident - that lump looked pretty nasty.

Thanks Bob. Great to see you too. Are you doing any winter hiking? Don't worry about my head, it will be ok. Just a big bruise, same for the knee. Oh well. I have been accident free the last 12 weeks, it's the 13th week that got me. :rolleyes:

Thanks Bob. Great to see you too. Are you doing any winter hiking? Don't worry about my head, it will be ok. Just a big bruise, same for the knee. Oh well. I have been accident free the last 12 weeks, it's the 13th week that got me. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'll be doing some winter hiking, starting with Lincoln and Lafayette this Saturday if the weather is good. Plan B is still a bit up in the air, maybe Waumbek if it's not a Franconia Ridge kind of day.

Yikes, Chris! Steve and I both took falls too! Steve fell pretty much the same way you did and his hiking pole chipped his tooth! I tripped on a branch sticking out from the solid ice heading up to South summit. Landed on hands and knees thankfully (wearing crampons :eek:). No injuries just a laughing fit, ha. Absolutely no more solo hiking in treacherous winter conditions! See you on the trails another time. ~Linda

Bob C- I have to go on Sunday due to family plans on Saturday. Let me know if you change days or maybe I can catch up another weekend.
Linda- gosh that's a bummer about the falls and chipped tooth:( Well at least we were both with someone at the time, right?) Hope to get together sometime on the trail.

Last edited: