10-21-05 Garfield (easy; minimal ice)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Quick conditions report; more to come later.

Garfield was wet at the bottom, mucky in places, water crossings weren't bad though, bypass wasn't necessary.

Ice wasn't significant till the ridge trail junction at which point it wasn't that bad really. Crampons, full or instep would've been serious overkill. I tried to get some stabilicers, but EMS was out, so I opted for the yaktrax. They helped, but it could've been done bareboot. A friend of mine didn't have anything, he had a walking stick and fell once, but I think if you had bareboots and two hiking poles it would be fine. Should be interesting to see if all the water at lower elevations will freeze. It was flowing, so I'm guessing it won't.

What an easy hike. Almost dissapointingly easy. What a view though. Especially with the snowcapped peaks.

garfield is a 3000 foot vertical climb, which is quite a bit, but for some reason it doesnt seem that bad. maybe because the grades are so easy till the ridge. I want to xcountry ski down that this winter.