10/29 Washington or what ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I was taking my nephew up 3 weeks ago, but we decided not to hike in the rain. We're going up this weekend and are now faced with avalanche and falling rock warnings. We've got all the winter gear, but not beacons, probes or avalanche training re. testing the snow and such.

Will the hordes still be attempting Washington this weekend or should we plan another hike ? This is the beginning of the Whites for both of us, so we'd like to do something interesting. thanks

Personally i'd wait......it'll be a long wait, but at this point I think the avalanche warnings are high and without proper equipment and training I would pick other dates...

just my .02..

M

going up the ammonoosuc ravine trail might be a good option. there shouldn't be any avalanche problem on that side. you also start 700 feet higher than at pinkham.

hikerfast is right, the western approaches don't generally load up with snow so lower avalanche danger. Base road should be plowed as the cog is still going up part-way. I've done this route three times in winter and love it. Bring crampons though, it can be very icy above Gem Pool. Weather is supposed to be good on Saturday.

Chip--

The snow load on the N Presi's is absolutely, incredibly, unbelievable for this time of year. Tree damage is heavy in both hardwood and softwood growths, seen at altitudes as low as 1000 ft (Pinkham Notch Ranger Station). If you expect to hike in the woods, expect significant tree fall and limb litter.

At Camp Dodge entrance road this AM, an AMC van was off the road, in the ditch, 14 inches of snow.

At 19 Mile Brook trailhead, the parking lot was chock full of snow, over 2 feet deep, with the plow-wave higher than that. No way anyone is parking there for a while.

At Great Gulf Trailhead, a USFS 4wd pickup with plow had hit their wall--they piled up a 4 ft wave and couldn't move it to clear the entrance. It was blue snow, high water content.

At Wildcat Ski area, needed a bulldozer and a bucket loader to clear the parking lot.

At AMC Pinkham Notch, cars parked overnight were white bulges in a big snowfield. Ditto Wildcat, AMC was using bucket loaders to move snow.

I don't know what you want to do as far as elevation and difficulty, but I hope I gave you a heads up.

Breeze

HA ! Funny you should ask...I just finished packing. My nephew and I will be at the parking for Jewell at about 7am on Saturday. We've got crampons and poles, no axes. If we need snow-shoes, we're turning around. We plan on a "best efforts" attempt at Washington and Ammonoosuc back down. If we are "flying" I'd like to tag Clay and Monroe, but that's wishful. Worst comes to worse, we'll have fun trying, no harm, no foul.

Last edited:
Chip said:
We've got crampons and poles, no axes.

FWIW, please note that safe self-arrest can be nearly impossible with crampons but no axe. Please be careful.

Chip said:
We plan on a "best efforts" attempt at Washington and Ammonoosuc back down. If we are "flying" I'd like to tag Clay and Monroe, but that's wishful. Worst comes to worse, we'll have fun trying, no harm, no foul. Anyone who wants to join in is welcome. my cell # 203-589-6836.

Higher summits forecast looks good for early tomorrow, clouding up later.

The ice going down Ammo is funny, the section from the hut down to the sign with the arrow is where I keep an ice axe in hand.

el-bagr said:
FWIW, please note that safe self-arrest can be nearly impossible with crampons but no axe. Please be careful.

I've needed an excuse to buy an axe, this is as good as any.
Guess I'll be buying 2. :rolleyes:
I'm bringing my snowshoes and my nephew has a pair, but if we actually need them our distance plans will change. I'm psyched. I don't get up there often enough so whatever we do will be fun, even if it's staying low and playing in the snow.

Last edited:
if your buying an ice buy one with a nice long handle. in addition to self arrest, its major function is shoving it deep in the snow in steep places above you so you can use it to pull yourself up.

I'd pick another destination personally.

Moosilauke offers a great alpine trip with less hazards when approached via Carriage Road of Glencliff, if Ravine Lodge Road is still open, this would allow you to do a loop with Gorge Brook & Snapper Trails both better for a first time in the Whites in autumn conditions that appear to be about a month or more ahead of schedule.

Liberty is a nice peak too. If Presidential Bound, Pierce & Ike or Pierce & Jackson offer views, alpine exposure & easier terrain. Tomorrow early looks okay but appears weather moving in later in the day.

Mike P. said:
I'd pick another destination personally.

Moosilauke offers a great alpine trip with less hazards when approached via Carriage Road of Glencliff, if Ravine Lodge Road is still open, this would allow you to do a loop with Gorge Brook & Snapper Trails both better for a first time in the Whites in autumn conditions that appear to be about a month or more ahead of schedule.

Liberty is a nice peak too. If Presidential Bound, Pierce & Ike or Pierce & Jackson offer views, alpine exposure & easier terrain. Tomorrow early looks okay but appears weather moving in later in the day.

Ravine Lodge Rd remains ungated but is snow covered in places. Mike's suggestion is a good one...I'm heading up there myself tomorrow.

if these people arent doing washington the moose would be interesting. i guess ill watch this thread and make a decision based on what people are doing. i want to do a pretty big hike

I'm about to leave CT for NH. We'll be in Hampstead tonight. I'm having a tough time locating axes between here and there at this point so I'm "conflicted". I'll check back here when we get to NH.