12/30-1/3,5 Dayhikes in the DAX:24to27 4ks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaner

Reaction score
Thanks to PIN PIN :) Here is a tentative schedule of 5 day hikes that would begin Friday Dec. 30th and finish on Tuesday Jan. 3rd.

The days may be interchanged. There is a wrinkle i still need to iron out: figuring out where I am going to overnight new years eve.

These are the 5 day hikes:

day 1: from Ausable Club(?): Dix-Hough-Carson(S. Dix)-Macomb-Carson-Grace(E. Dix)

day 2: from Ausable Club: LWJ-UWJ-Armstrong-Gothics-Sawteeth

day 3: from ADK parking: Phelps-Tabletop-Marcy-Gray-Skylight

day 4: from ADK parking: Nye-Street-Wright-Alonquin-Iroquois

day 5: from Ausable: Dial-Nippletop-Colvin-Blake

If there is extra time PIN PIN JUNIOR suggest Cascade-Porter, 2 hours, and/or Big Slide, 3 hours.

I am hoping on day two to continue on to Saddleback,overnighting, then heading on to Marcy and either following to Gray-Skylight or going to Tabletop-Phelps. But I am not sure how hikeable the trails will be between Marcy and Gothics. I will Q&A that one. :) Beaner

Good luck on Day 4 :D

Also remember from Day 2 - Day 3, if you plan to go on to Saddleback and beyond, you'll have to go over from Gothics and thus probably delete Sawteeth from the hike that day. It wasn't real clear to me that you planned to do that. It's looks easy on a map, but the from Gothics over to Sawteeth (and back again) is quite a haul. There is a sizable knob (pyramid) to go over, then is over 1000' down and 500' up to Sawteeth then back again.

Granted you'll move faster by Glissading down the descents, but still this traverse over and back easily adds 1700' of climbing to an already tought day

Last edited:
Basically the five days are still a bit of a rubic's cube in terms of how to arrange them. PIN PIN JUNIOR'S suggestion is probably the best one :) and I am messing things up by trying to figure in an overnight between day 2 and 3.

If day 2 is the ADK-Phelps-Table Top-Marcy-Gray-Skylight, then can I connect from Skylight to Haystack? How easy is the trail to find and how often used? GPSing won't mean much if I am off trail repeatedly dropping into snow sink holes.

If Skylight to Haystack is okay, then I could meet up with dayhikers doing the Ausable Club-Sawteeth-Gothics-Armstrong-UWJ-LWJ on day 3, perhaps.

Day four could be Ausable Club-Dial-Nippletop-Elk-Colvin.

Day five could be Ausable Club-Dix-Hough-S. Dix-Macomb-S. Dix-E.Dix

So Day 1 would be ADK-Street-Nye-ADK-Wright-Algonquin-Iroquois

How feasible is it to go from Skylight to Haystack? :) Beaner

Last edited: