2/17/08 Parker/Evans bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of doing the Parker Mountain/Evans Mountain bushwhack again so I went out this morning to do it.

When I got to the trailhead for the Spencer Smith Tr., it was a sheet of ice. I was able to park there but I was worried that my truck might slide down the hill.

To gear up, I had to put on my crampons.

I was on the trail by 5:20am. A few snowshoers’ broke out the trail so I kept my crampons on.

On the way up, there were many pine trees hanging over the trail. When I got to the outlook, the sun was just starting to rise over the Atlantic Ocean. By the time I got to the summit cairn of Parker Mountain, the sun was up and it was warming up.

I took off my outer shell and exchanged crampons for snowshoes. I set my bearing and headed into the woods.

The first part of the bushwhack is easy downhill. The trees are spaced out. Towards the col, the bushwhack gets thicker.

Soon I was heading uphill. When I got near the top, I was sure I was near the summit.

I was wrong. I ended up on a snowmobile trail and kept to my bearing. Pretty soon I seen the old outhouse and I knew I was heading in the right direction.

I made it to the summit but it’s the second time that my bearing was wrong. The first time I went, my bearing was 300 and I ended about a ½ mile from the summit. So my last bearing was 298 and I was a ¼ mile from the summit. The weird thing was is that on the summit of Evans, I checked my compass on 118 degrees and it pointed to Parker Mountain. I must of did something wrong.

After a short break, I headed back to the snowmobile trail to pick up the bushwhack.

The way back went pretty fast. Following my previous footsteps went well.

The Parker/Evans bushwhack is only about a mile and a half but it’s an excellent time in the woods.

To see photo’s from the bushwhack, go to:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562519242OhrWGk

Farmer Bob