2 Oxbow's and a Bottle 7/28/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
Despite the ominous weather forecast Sadie the dog and I headed North to do these remote Maine 3k's that I've waited a long time to do. Road conditions are generally good except for the stretch of Wiggle Brook Road between the 2 Cupsuptic Pond Roads. Still it was passable and I made it to the parking area by the Oxbow's at 8AM.
The sun was out for first hike up S Oxbow. This peak has numerous false summits but I finally found the right one and was immediately descended upon by zillions of small flies. On the way down I avoided all the false summits and found myself having to go quite aways West to get back to the car which I did by 10.
Off to N Oxbow on the road which I followed for 10 min. or so and then off into the mostly open woods which at first went down then back up and I came out on the border swath just East of monument 455. The swath was all ferns and no brush what a difference a week makes! I found the jar easily and went back down to the monument where I entered the woods. I came back out on the road further down from where I started and was back to the car at 11:45.
On the drive to Bottle a few sprinkles of rain appeared but fortunately they were the only ones we saw all day. The Bowmantown Express road looks lightly used but is in decent shape. After changing shirt, socks and boots it was up thru the wet grasses and steep fernie slopes to Bottle. Sadie was getting tired but she kept coming along and I didn't lose her in the tall ferns. This summit is a blowdown mess but I quickly found the jar and quickly headed down as the thunder rumbles got louder. Back to the car by 1:45 all dry with just a few scrapes.
All the jars are in good condition but the one on South Oxbow was damp inside. This puts me over 100 peaks in Maine.

Gamehiker