5/1912 Imp Face/Carters #43&44

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamples

Reaction score
Absolutely could not pass up this perfect picturesque Saturday for hiking and set my sights on checking off two more 4,000 footers off my list. I chose Middle and South Carter for #'s 43 and 44.

Left Concord area around 4:45am for the 1 hour 45 minute drive thru the Notch and Twin Mountains and up thru 115 and 2 thru Gorham. Down 5+ miles on rt 16, parked at the North branch of Imp Trail. No other cars in the small pulloff on the side of the road. Was surprised there was no parking fee here!

Started on the trail at 6:40am
Peaked Imp Face at 7:50am (2.2 miles in 1 hr 10 min) - Very cool rocky outlook and perfect spot for a break after a good bit of climbing! Had it all to myself.

Reached the N Carter Tr Junction at 8:30am (0.9 mi in 30 min)

Hit Carter-Moriah Tr at 9:25am (1.2 mi in 55 min) - this section started sucking my energy and I set my sights on a early lunchbreak on North Carter only 0.3 the opposite way.

Peaked North Carter at 9:30am as I motored right over to its excellent viewpoint looking east. Again had the rocky outlook all to myself and had yet to see a soul.

After a good break, went back to the N Carter/Carter-Moriah trail junction at 9:55am and started making my way over to Middle Carter.

Peaked Middle Carter at 10:25am... actually wasn't sure which rocky top was Middle Carter... kept guessing I hit it and then there would be another awesome spot along the trail that looked like a peak. I think I know now which one was the actual summit. This section of trail was pretty sweet and very enjoyable. Also enjoyed all the bridges over the wet areas and the bog. Awesome!

Continued on and peaked South Carter at 11:10am - although viewless peak, someone cut a side path out to a nice rocky outlook overlooking Hight and Carter Dome so suddenly South Carter has a sweet view I was not expecting! (must have been reading old books)

Just before reaching South Carter, actually saw the first hikers on a trail! Long way without seeing anyone!
With my climbing for the day done, took a well deserved 10 minute break to get some energy for the long way down and out.

Reached Zeta Pass at 11:45am - Met a group of hikers who were making their way up Carter Dome Tr and reached Zeta Pass the same time I did. A guy with 4 girls who wanted me to take their picture, which I was more than happy to do. Ended up chatting and learned it was Doug Hunt who is one of the finishers of 'The Grid', hiking all 48 4,000 footers during every month of the year - 48 x 12. An awesome feat! Also in his group was a girl completing her 47 & 48 with South and Middle Carter. Congrats to her again! Doug graciously took my picture with my own camera with the girls from his hiking group, so it looked like I had some friends on my hike instead of solo the entire way, haha. But was pretty cool picking his brain about what of my own remaining 4,000s to finish on. (which is Wildcats, Waumbek & Cabot). Then felt pretty honored to meet someone like that on the trail. I love talking trails and peaks, etc so that was fun.

That fun ended quick with the long slug out down rough Carter Dome Tr and 19MBT.
Reached the 19MB trail junction at 12:50 (1.7 or 1.9 in 55 min) 1.7 if you believe the trail signs, 1.9 on the maps, who knows.

Legs were weary now and I was slowing down with a little over-heating. Having hiked 9.5 miles and knowing I still had 3.5 to go was a bit disheartening but soldiered on. I usually book these sections down, but not today.
Reached the road at 1:45 (1.9 mi in 55 min)

Then road walked the 1.6 miles in power fashion in 25 minutes to get back to my car for 2:10pm.
Many cars now at all 3 lots (19MB, South Imp and North Imp)

All in all, 13 miles in 7.5 miles with some good breaks here and there and alot of picture-taking.
Couldn't have asked for better weather and bagged two peaks that had been bugging me for years as to how and when I would do them.
4 to go!

Last edited: