8/18/07 Hancock and S. Hancock hike, 47 of 48.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
Originally we planned on watching the Mt. Washington Hill Climb this Saturday, but several weeks ago we changed our minds.

We reserved a campsite at Dolly Copp campgrounds for the hill climb but we still stayed there for our hike.

Jenifer and myself got up to Dolly Copp around 9pm on Friday and we put up the tent with our headlamps.

We left early in the morning and headed over to the Hancocks Trailhead. We were driving to the trailhead on the Kancamagus. We rounded a corner and there was a female moose crossing the road. I slammed on the brakes and the moose ran off. There was a van pulled over and a guy trying to take a picture of it. It was amazing how big she was.

We got to the trailhead and geared up. We were on the trail by 7:11am.

The hike on the Hancock Notch Tr. was easy. The Cedar Brook Tr. was interesting. There was a blowdown about half way up the trail that snapped about five feet off the ground and in the center of the trail. The part that broke off was on the trail. Also the Cedar Brook Tr. was hard to follow in a couple of spots. It also started to rain as we were heading to the Hancock Loop Tr.

We took a short break when we got to the Link junction. We headed up Hancock first.

The hike up Hancock was harder than I thought it would be. As we got higher up, the views were only clouds. When we got to the summit, there was nothing to look at so we headed over to S. Hancock.

The Ridge Link Tr. was fun. It went up and down and up and down and it got to a point that we thought we reached S. Hancock but it wasn't it.

When we got to S. Hancock, it was still raining. We took a short break then headed down. After going down the South Link, I was glad we took the North Link up. The South Link was very slippery and a lot a loose rocks and small boulders.

We took a lunch break when we got back to the Loop junction. Also four others that we saw in between summits took a lunch break. They were fellow peak baggers and we had an excellent conversation with them.

We had no problem going back until we crossed a brook on the Cedar Brook Tr. It was hard to figure out which trail to take, since there were several bootleg trails in the area. After a few minutes walking around. We found it.

The rest of the hike back went well. We did have an interesting time crossing the Kanc. Cars (tourists) seemed to speed up around the hairpin turn. Just when we thought it was safe to cross, here comes another one. After several tries, we made it across.

By the time we reached our car, the sun was out. It was 2pm and we still had plenty of time to go Letter Boxing.

All we have left now for finishing the 4000'ers is Moosilauke, which we'll try to finish in a couple of weeks.

Farmer Bob
http://community.webshots.com/user/farmerbob48