9 mph wind

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9 is not too bad. Usually you don't really start noticing it being a real pain until it gets around 15. 20-25 is where some serious difficulty begins.

That is for a kayak. A canoe is prone to wind problems because of the increased surface area.

- darren

good, good. thanks!
I gotta get some of those canoe covers that go over everything while your paddling. know what there called or where can get?

IndianChris said:
is this a tough wind to paddle against?. I know a strong wind when I'm in one but I can't say I can quantify it.
I wouldn't worry about 9mph too much, other than the psychological factor of paddling into it for a long time. It's one of those things where you just suck it up and do it. Worry more about actual water conditions. 9mph can kick up a bit of a swell on big water, but likely not whitecaps.

There are a lot more things to consider than simply the wind speed by itself. Look at the whole picture, not just wind speed. Consider things such as... How big is the water and what is the shape of water where are you really paddling. Should you risk being far from shore if the wind suddenly becomes stronger, how confident are your boat handling skills if that happens... what is the weather forecast. Learn to read what the clouds tell you about future wind. What is the shoreline like, are there protected bays, with exposed points to go around? Can you reasonably hug the shore for safety if you need to, even if it means paddling a farther distance than straight across the lake?

If headwind is making paddling a canoe difficult, you should trim it to be slightly bow heavy, so it weathervanes into the wind... see the many various techniques I don't have space to go into here.

I gotta get some of those canoe covers that go over everything while your paddling. know what there called or where can get?
On a kayak, its called a spray skirt...don't know if its the same for a canoe. Your manufacturer probably makes one specific for your model.

I mostly flat-water paddle so a nice gentle headwind becomes a slow sail back when I pull out the golf umbrella.

Jim

well, I don't think the wind ever reached 5mph this past weekend on Long Lake and when it did it was from the north. I was real lucky to have the conditions I did - it was exactly what I was looking for...kinda cold, no wind, and snowing while paddling some of the time - two colors to be seen all weekend - grey (skies) and brown (trees). A real step back in time.

Earlier in the week I never could have paddled it - heavy gusts and rain. The conditions this week look even better - sun and mild (during the day). It was awesome though. Paddled about 11 miles each day. Had a chance to explore NY's wildest river a little bit as well.

Ever hear a beaver slap it's tail? Sounds like a bowling ball dropped into the water - scared the crap outta me.

I'll try to attach some pics later.