A New Report Format for my Web Site - asking for Critiques

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Hobby to Hobby to Hobby
Like many of us, I came to hiking from a love of nature and a history going back to childhood. But my hiking has evolved and probably will continue to do so.

Hiking: After retirement, I went back to my old love of hiking and spent a great deal of time on it, eventually hiking much of the northern section of the Appalachian Trail. In a natural metamorphosis, this hobby turned into a related one; Peakbagging. But more than just climbing peaks, but pursuing a lists (many lists) of them. Does this sound familiar? Some time along this path I found this web site and have been active here for years.

Peakbagging: So I climbed the highest peaks in New England, and an assortment of other lists. Along the way I became aware of survey markers, at first because many peaks had such markers at their summits. Such was the transition to another hobby, Benchmark Hunting.

Benchmark hunting: Sooner or later I found another web site (geocaching.com), and lo and behold, there were lots of folks doing it and furthermore they seemed to have the same Obsessive Compulsive need to find the most in a county, the oldest, the furthest north, the highest, etc. Wow, just like Peakbagging (or bird watching, another hobby of mine).

But I digress, what about the reports as suggested by the title.

My Reports: In all my hiking and Peakbagging, I was (still am) a prolific report writer. My home pages has dozens, nay hundreds of such reports. They follow a similar format and have a narrative emphasis, in other words they tell a story about this hike or that mountain. Those who like them say "I enjoyed your such-and-such report. I felt like I was there" (well, some one might have said that :) ).

But this narrative, story telling format, didn't seem appropriate for finding (or failing to find) survey markers. So I played with using maps and indexes and county lists, etc. but the result didn't excite me or my audience (which is a few loyal friends, my wife and maybe a few strangers :) ).

So I'm trying to consolidate my reports to include the several aspects that interest me into a common format. My target audience is 1) fellow hikers/peakbaggers, 2) fellow benchmark hunters, and 3) friends and the occasional stranger who might find them on my web site.

My design goals (subject to change) are

1) break long narratives into small sections, one for each peak, group of survey marks, etc.
2) consolidate the pictures and maps into an embedded "picture frame" in the story. generally one frame for each section.
3) introduce interactive Google maps, both mine and Google's driving directions in the frames.
4) provide means to leaf through the photos, make them bigger or smaller, start or stop a slide show, etc. - and do all this without disrupting the flow of the sections of the narrative.
5) provide links into the report so someone can link to a specific peak or specific survey marker from an external list I might provide.

I've taken an old report from 2006 and redone it using the above design goals. Consider this a prototype.

Here's the link: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/..._NH_Border.html

Please bring it up, look at it, try to navigate through it, click on the photos, etc. etc.

1) is it obvious what you need to do to get through it?
2) are the methods for controlling the photos and maps clear?
3) are there any obvious glitches, typos, apparent errors?
4) would you rather things had been set up differently? how then?

A word on the content: it's basically an old report reformatted. When I put together future reports I would endeavor to make a clearer distinction between hiking aspects and benchmark hunting aspects, but hopefully in such a way so I don't disrupt the narrative. Who knows - I may get some hikers interested in survey marks or some benchmark hunters interested in hiking.

About links and indexes, here's a couple of sample links that illustrate that. Basically you are taken to a specific section of the report, and you can do what you like from there.

Link to a Peak: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/...der.html#salmon
Link to a PID: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2h6gy/...der.html#QH0625

Check them out.

And in case anyone is interested, here's the old version of the report: Old version. You'll find it's not much different content-wise, but is just one long rambling narrative.

One more thing: the internet is not what it used to be. I used to put little thumb nail photos in and if you clicked on them you would get a bigger photo in another window. Now with the bandwidth available, I just put the photos in the way they look best (to me), or as someone once said "D*mn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!". But you can still make them larger or smaller - but no more tiny thumb nails.

P.S. If you have some scathing criticisms and are too kind to put them here before the public, please email them to me. But better still put them here. I have thick skin.

The major difference I see from the old version is that the chapters are split onto separate pages of HTML. It's a change I'm indifferent to. The additional navigation links are well-designed, and the table of contents is a nice addition, but those could also have been added while preserving the single-page format.

I really don't see that the site makes a distinction between "hiking stuff" and "benchmark stuff", though I like the fact that the benchmark IDs are located in easy-to-find clusters. Come to think of it, the many-page format makes those clusters a bit easier to find since they're always on the same spot on a page, which is in some ways easier than scrolling to a consistent spot in a chapter within a page, though it requires more clicking and disables Ctrl-F searching.

One nitpick: I almost read the entire first page linked to (new version) withour realizing that the chapter titles were clickable links. I'd prefer links be the traditional blue and underlined style.

edit: I'd also suggest moving the slideshow controls closer to the picture frame (i.e., preceding the list of photos)

edit 2: Having gone back and paid more attention to the photos, I like the idea of having a "photo frame" that doubles as a map frame and short slideshow. But note that you are currently sacrificing narrative power by not having more than one photo visible while reading the narrative. Readers can either read your text or look at your slideshow, but not both at once, unless you embed links within the text which cause the content of the photo frame to change.

edit 3: I now see how the "photo frame" approach more or less requires short chapters on separate HTML pages, so ignore most of what I said in the first paragraph above.

The thing I've always liked best about your site was the index pages (eg, the peakbagging lists page). Would it make sense to do something similar for the "benchmark stuff"?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure when you looked at this but I just made a few changes from what I had originally put up based on feedback from my benchmarking forum. namely:

1) I swapped the "Next" and "Previous" buttons.
2) I made the maps the same size as the pictures, for both small and large pictures. This is actually a much better way to do it. Can't really do much when changing to large pictures changing the text flow, but now at least if you do, the map won't change it back.
3) I took out that picture of the lodge I stayed at (a small photo on the intro page). There another photo of it (a different shot) in the Thursday photos anyway. That little photo (which is gone now) caused a good bit of confusion since the clicks didn't work the same way.

One nitpick: I almost read the entire first page linked to (new version) withour realizing that the chapter titles were clickable links. I'd prefer links be the traditional blue and underlined style.
As for the non-blue links, so sorry, but I have been using bold black underlined links forever. I never liked the blue color, especially within text. But I always use red when you do a mouse over (but IE v8 seems to ignore that - I'm looking into that). I think the red on mouseover helps. But of course if you're just reading that's not going to help.
edit: I'd also suggest moving the slideshow controls closer to the picture frame (i.e., preceding the list of photos)
The suggestion of moving the slide show links up is a good one.
I now see how the "photo frame" approach more or less requires short chapters on separate HTML pages, so ignore most of what I said in the first paragraph above.
Thanks, that took a bit of effort to put together.
The thing I've always liked best about your site was the index pages (eg, the peakbagging lists page). Would it make sense to do something similar for the "benchmark stuff"?
The use of the indexing hash in the URL is exactly there so one can get to the right section from a list in a link. And yes, I expect to put lists on my home page for the benchmarks too.

You are right that there is not a huge distinction in the narrative between peakbagging and benchmark hunting, but remember this was essentially a 2006 report directed to hikers. Going forward I will try to make a clearer distinction, perhaps with headers in the text.

One thing that's nice (care of Google) is if you click on the Google logo on the lower left of one of the driving directions maps, another widow will come up with a big map and the actual driving directions. So if someone wondered how to get to one of these places, it's all there. Thanks Google. They actually build that into their API, so clicking the logo on one of my custom maps will also bring up a big version in a new page. But that doesn't do much good since it won't have my stuff on it.

As for my custom maps I'm working on a more peak-oriented version (vs. the benchmark oriented version you see here) which will also include track logs if I happen to record one. Here's an example from my trip to Aroostook last month: Peaked Mtn Map. Click on the "Show Track" button in the top center and you'll see my path, both up and back for this bushwhack. Switch to "Sat" map type (upper right) and you'll see the very faint old roads I was trying to follow.

Thanks again for taking the time to look at this. One tends to get in a somewhat fixed way of looking at things and getting feedback sometimes gives very obvious and valuable ideas that just didn't come to mind.

Last edited:
I just put up another version (same url).

I now pre-fetch the next picture in any of the lists to get it in the browser cache. Used to be (due to bandwidth of browser issues) that when you clicked on a photo to get the next one, there would be a lag. First the caption would change and then (sometimes a second or more later) the image would change. It seems much better now.

If you noticed this lag before, check now and see if it looks better. To test, clear your cache first.

Here's the link again New Improved version

Last edited: