A quick stop at The Pinnacle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alspal

Reaction score
The Pinnacle

I was looking for some place interesting to run in Hooksett or Bow as I was headed that way for an Orienteering meet. I was intrigued when I first read about the Pinnacle in Thoreau’s “A week on the Concord and Merrimack rivers”, wondering if the spot still existed. I was surprised to read about it in the AMC guide which calls it “a familiar and attractive landmark”. The guide mentions a trail on Ardon drive but I read online that it may now be posted.

I figured an early morning start would keep me from bumping into anyone else, so I arrived in Hooksett just as dawn was breaking. I was going to do some exploring of possible bushwhacks when I noticed a very clear trail. I parked at the junction of Pinnacle St. and Birch Hill Rd. and grabbed my camera.

The ATV trail was not posted so I trotted down the path disturbing a couple of Foxes that went scurrying into the undergrowth. After about 200 meters the trail topped out and I decided it would be best to whack up the hill to my left (West). The woods were very open and easily run-able/hike-able. The ridge was very open and there was a well worn herd path heading up. The last little pitch was a bit steep, but can be avoided by following the ATV path that then winds around to the summit.

I went up the last pitch and was greeted by a great view of the Merrimack and the sun just brightening the skies. The climb took just over five minutes. I took a couple of pictures and headed down the ATV trail to check out where it went. The trail goes steadily down to the end of Ardon drive. There is one “No Trespassing” sign strung across the trail, but no other postings. The trail also forks off to the right. I took the right fork and two minutes later I was back at my car. So, the ATV trail that I started on does in fact go to the summit after looping around the base of the Pinnacle. It is probably only ½ mile from the intersection to the summit via the trail. It’s a nice hike with an interesting view. I was back in my car and headed for the O-meet only 20 minutes after heading out.

Link to pics:
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s209/davedunham/Pinnacle hike/

Last edited: