advice please on section hiking AT this Nov.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtmthiker

Reaction score
Okay, thought I'd put this out. I'm planning to section hike the AT starting at Springer and starting this November. I would consider doing the whole thing one day but right now my job won't allow it though I have enough flexibility right now to take 3 weeks off in November!! So I've ordered maps and looked at some web sites but would welcome any advice. Especially since I'm going in November and it won't be that populated and might be more difficult getting rides.

I'm going to drive down with my dog. One obstacle is that I learned it is hunting season for firearms when I'm going. I will wear bright colors for me and my dog and thinking of putting a bell on the dog (though some friends joked that down in GA they might shoot the dog if he has a bell on for disturbing on the bears and deers ;) )

I'm planning on hiking the 90-100 miles and breaking it up in 2 parts. I'll drive to the 45-50 mile mark and hopefully get a ride to the beginning and hike to my car and do the same for the last bit. I backpacked quite a lot this summer in the whites and done 3 nights. Probably can do 45-50 miles in 4 days no problem...hopefully but another friend pointed out the there won't be as much daylight :(

So guess I would welcome any advice...especially what you think the weather will be like in early to Mid-November. I have a 20 degree down bag but thinking I'd get a liner or just bring warm sleeping clothes. Also, I found the AT-GA web page and theres' a page of contact people that will give you rides. There's a bunch of them but if anyone know the best way to choose this.... And anything else I might not be thinking of....

Thanks!!!

Kathy

Kathy, Check out whiteblaze.net it is a wonderful resource for hiking the AT. Also, when I was section hiking a chunk last spring, I ran into a couple in PA who were doing what you described - They would hike a section and stash packs and hitch a ride back every few days, get their car, bring it forward, ahead of them, hitch back and hike to it. It seemed to work for them.

The tough thing is that if there are heavy snows down there, there might not be folks out on the trail for a few days (unless there are a lot of SOBO's) , leaving you to break a lot of trail - that will really cut down on your mileage as well as increase the risk of pulled muscles.

You will also likely need to carry more food due to the additional energy required to keep warm.

Weather

A very good webcam/weather cam can be found here Purchase Knob

It shows the view from the southern part of the Great Smoky Mountains (with a 5,000 foot mountain in the foreground) as well the current weather.

The great part is the Archived View that can give you an idea of the snow pack (or lack thereof) on any give day over the last few years.

Your 2005 results may vary but it looks like 03 and 04 were pretty clear in November.

Should be an amazing hike!

You are in for a great time, and you should have most of the shelters to yourself this time of year (if you won't be carrying a tent). As mentioned before, watch out for weather down there. I always thought of peaches when it came to Georgia, and on more than one occassion I woke up to ice in my Nalgene and a frozen water filter (granted that was in early March). There aren't too many massive peaks down in that kneck of the woods, but be prepared for some grueling up and down "hills". They look small, but that trail goes over every nob in northern GA. Remember that you can't bring your dog into the Great Smokey Nat'l Park (TN/VA), though I'm not sure you're going that far north? Here's the link below that talks about that. It is one of only 2 or 3 places on the whole trail where that is true. Other than that have a fantastic time.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/justforfun.html#pets

Marc (GA to ME '96)