Alander Mountain Cabin (MA)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
After spending the night at the cabin last fall, I became interested in its condition(poor) and history. And after posting the trip in trail conditions, I have received several queries regarding the cabin.

Does anyone know what the current condition of the cabin is?(did it survive the winter?) :(
Is the state responsible for the up keep?
Is there any group involved in caretaking?

I tried the Mount Washington State Forest phone number but it is currently disconnected.

Any information would be welcome! Thanks!

curious too

I haven't been there in years, but I really like that spot. Any insight would be appreciated!

When I scouted Alander Cabin last year it was in tough shape. Also, too small for our group so we went elsewhere. Northwest Cabin, on the CT/MA line not far from the AT is a very nice place but hard to reserve. It is manged by the AMC's Berkshire Chapter and I expect that one of the committee members may also be able to update you on Alander if you're unable to contact the ranger.

just there...

I went on a weekend backpack along the taconic crest trail back in late april...we left the upper parking area of Bash Bish falls Friday at approx. 5:30...our goal was to get to the cabin and camp there for the night...the cabin was deplorable...we did not stay...the physical condition of the cabin did not appear terrible when we arrived (it was dusk and getting quite dark in the woods) but there was a LARGE pile of trash in front...all kinds of empty cans, pots and pans, an old sleeping bag...all kinds of debris, about the size of a pitchers mound, only about 3 feet high...I picked up a pretty bad vibe and turned to my partner and said, "not here..." we headed back to a spot along the ridge off the path I had made a mental note of...the next morning we were to pass the cabin again and get a better look at it...what we could not see at night was one side of the roof was a loosely lain tarp covering a very large hole in the roof...and we got a peep inside (something I refused to do the night before)...even more trash strewn about the place...old old bottle of liquor on the table in there...looks like maybe kids use the place often to party...but I did not notice any beer cans...interestingly enough, we ended up passing by the cabin again on the last day and it appeared that new trash was on top of the pile...a griddle and some newer looking cans...my partner agreed there appeared to be new trash...we didn't stick around to check it out, we just kept trucking...the place was just oozing bad vibes...could just be the pile of trash in front of the door...