Ammonoosuc and Jewell Trails this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
Assuming no new snow, is there enough traffic during the week to establish a packed trail for this weekend, or will snowshoes be required ? I'd love to find a trail report from yesterday or today (or tomorrow). Matty posted one from 10-23 when it was still snowing. thanks
ps: I realize a report from tomorrow won't be available until at least tomorrow ! :cool:

weekend

Weeday traffic is a tough call unless it is a trail that gets hut caretaker traffic. All the reports I have been reading have made snowshoes in the Presi region seem nearly essential.

I hiked down the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail on Saturday 10/22 right before the big snow hit. It was absolutely covered with ice from the constant waterfall descending down the "trail". I would definitely bring crampons and an ice axe if you plan on tackling this beast! Check out my pictures at http://www.shutterbook.com/albums/Tomahawk/29651 for some visuals. Good luck!

-Tomahawk

Eastside conditions yesterday: trace to six inches at Pinkham; 36"+ at Hermit Lakes; more higher, but variable (drifts/windscour/rock/ice). I would bring snowshoes at least as a contingency plan for anything above 3000' in the Presidentials this weekend.

Snowshoes, crampons & Axe.

Went mid-late November last year in conditions that sound similar, at least one spot above gorge & just below stream crossing on flat rocks I needed the axe to help me up over some rocks. Backcountry conditions shows 33" at Carter Notch, that's not mid-fall, that's late fall early winter.

Mt. Washington right now is no place to be under equipped, I have been told that time and time again lately by people who have been up it. I am going up next weekend and I bought crampons,snowshoes and legging. (as opposed to renting) With it's large area above the timberline on all routes and an incredible 80 inches of snow this month, much of which is on the ground, it's certainly best by now to be totally equipped for anything. The wind is also a factor in buring trails that have been packed, and the deep snowpack is supposed to make the summer routes nearly impossible to follow from what I have read. I feel so much more confinent in attempting washington now that I am properlly equipped.

-Dom