AT in NC advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknblue

Reaction score
My wife is spending some time at a retreat center near Asheville, NC, just after Memorial Day, and I'm planning to hit the trails for about three days. I was thinking of a section hike along the AT, either in the Roan High Knob or Bald Mountain stretches. I'd like to avoid GSMNP. I'm not familiar with the AT between GSMNP and Mt. Rogers. Any advice as to which of those two is preferred?

Most of that entire area is great. The Roans in particular are some of the best hiking on the entire trail, though they only take a few days to complete if you linger. North of Mount Rogers is the Grayson Highlands, which are also really nice. Aside from that, I think the best stretches for a few days of hiking would be from Erwin to US 19 (ending with the Roan Highlands) followed by Hot Springs to Erwin, which has a number of nice balds, firetowers and great views. Or you could do the entire stretch, depending on how fast you hike ;) In my memory the stretch from US 19 to Damascus lacked the views of the southern stretches. However, Laurel Fork Falls near Hampton were absolutely spectacular. I also reccommend the Mountain Harbor bed and breakfast (and hostel). One of the top three places I ate on the entire trail-her breakfasts were out of this world. It's on US 19.

You can park your car at Mountain Harbor and get a shuttle to Carvers Gap or The other side of Roan. Roan has some similarities to hiking up here and has a really nice climb. The balds and the humps and Houston Ridge are a must see in NC along the AT. Its the crown jewel of the south and you can see the Grandfather Mountain Profile, another trail in between Banner Elk and Boone. Also expect to be in Thruhiker hell. It will be very crowded along that strecth. Avoid the Jerry Cabin area and Watauga Lake area as the USFS has issued an alert for a nasty virus circulating and Watauga Lake is a high bear area. Id suggest during that time the Grayson Highlands, it will also be overrun with tourist and hikers but should be beautiful none the less. After Thomas Know Shelter, about a 1/2 mile are some very nice camp spots in the open.
There are plenty of shuttle ops as well in the Damascus area another must see town. You will be there just after Trail Dayz.

We did a 3 day section hike from the top of Roan, North to Kincora (in Hampton). We were hiking long days so I would cut back on the mileage. Must see is the Overmountain shelter. I would end on US 19 E north of roan and set up a shuttle to go south and hike back to US 19 E, as the trail section north of 19 E has a several mile transition section through developed territory which unfortunately has a long term poor reputation. There was a major relocation 10 years ago that got the trail away from a big portion of this area but there are far better places to hike.

I nice day trip is Laurel Fork Falls in Nearby Hampton, Kincora hostel is located south of the falls or you can hike in from the AT crossing at Watuga Lake.

Thanks for the advice, all. My wife dropped me off on Tuesday at noonish at Iron Mtn Gap. I hiked 6 miles that day to Clyde Smith Shelter, very non-descript, but just nice to get the legs warmed up. Wednesday was about 15 miles over Roan, the balds, and into Overmountain Shelter. Beautiful day, and a great place to spend the night. Thursday was about 9 miles over more fantastic balds and down to Rt. 19, where my wife picked me up.

Overall, about a 10-mile stretch of balds from Carvers Gap to Hump Mountain, and some of the prettiest hiking I've seen along the AT, and anywhere in the Southeast (not that I've done much). The trails are much more forgiving than the trails in the Northeast. 15 miles is still a lot on out-of-shape feet, but not too bad. I saw a couple of Nobo thru-hikers who will be pushed to get to Katahdin by Oct. 1.

The wife and I are headed to Grayson Highlands / Mount Rogers at the end of July after a family reunion for a few days there. I've been there a few times already.

Thanks for the advice, all. My wife dropped me off on Tuesday at noonish at Iron Mtn Gap. I hiked 6 miles that day to Clyde Smith Shelter, very non-descript, but just nice to get the legs warmed up. Wednesday was about 15 miles over Roan, the balds, and into Overmountain Shelter. Beautiful day, and a great place to spend the night. Thursday was about 9 miles over more fantastic balds and down to Rt. 19, where my wife picked me up.

Overall, about a 10-mile stretch of balds from Carvers Gap to Hump Mountain, and some of the prettiest hiking I've seen along the AT, and anywhere in the Southeast (not that I've done much). The trails are much more forgiving than the trails in the Northeast. 15 miles is still a lot on out-of-shape feet, but not too bad. I saw a couple of Nobo thru-hikers who will be pushed to get to Katahdin by Oct. 1.

The wife and I are headed to Grayson Highlands / Mount Rogers at the end of July after a family reunion for a few days there. I've been there a few times already.
That section is my favorite over Roan, Balds and Humps. Crown Jewel of the southern AT IMHO. The view of Grandfather Mountain is so cool. North Carolina is and will always be my home. Did you happen to go up to Grassy Ridge?

That section is my favorite over Roan, Balds and Humps. Crown Jewel of the southern AT IMHO. The view of Grandfather Mountain is so cool. North Carolina is and will always be my home. Did you happen to go up to Grassy Ridge?

I had planned to, but when I got to the turn-off, my feet were starting to hurt, and my engine was winding down. Two years of grad school was taking its toll. :( I passed on by, figuring I had plenty of other balds to spend time on, and I wasn't peakbagging southern 6ers anyway. ;)