Backpack for Camping/Peak Bagging

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

five_head

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a new backpack to use for some combined camping and dayhiking trips. By that I mean we (my son and I) will hike in and set up a base camp to stay for a couple of days. We would then climb several peaks in the area. A regular daypack would not be big enough, but we don't want to carry large packs while peak climbing. Any suggestions or thoughts? Do any of you carry an empty daypack in your larger pack to use after setting up basecamp?

I have also been thinking about this a lot lately...I have always carried everything up even when it has not been necassary. I am thinking about taking my small Eastpack bag (kind of a book bag) on a long trip next weekend and I will jettison the heavier stuff when it is not practical to carry it.
Alternatively, I can set up base camp...dump tent, foot print, extra food, stove, sleeping bag and carry the rest of the essentials (food, water, warm/dry clothes, first aid/emergency kit etc) in my big pack which rides nice and easy when it is light.
By the way...I use an EMS Ascent 4700...it is comfortable with 15 pounds or 40 pounds, relatively speaking.
Hope this is some help.

I carry a daypack inside my large pack, though not empty. I'll try and anticipate which items I'll be taking on the day hike and pack those into the daypack before I stuff it into my larger one. It allows me to sleep later in the morning. I used to use a book bag as a daypack, but as I've gotten smarter about what's necessary to carry on a day hike (or rather what's unnecessary), my loads have gotten lighter and I've switched to one of those mountainsmith butt packs (I added shoulder straps). It's great on hot days because your back can breathe.

Yup, that's the way to do it IMO. Carry a medium size slim profile day pack in the mesh outer pocket of your regular pack. Platypus Thunderhead is 1200 ci and weighs 16 oz empty, costs $60 w bladder. Looks like this. ;)

Im under the belief that carrying an extra daypack is sort of a waste. I have a 4700 cu in. pack which I use for 4 seasons. For summer peakbagging, I will remove the stays from the pack which reduces the weight considerably. There are a lot of options out there for "rucksacks" and if I had a dollar I would buy one. Whatever you get, make sure it is comfortable.

-percious

I'm with Percious on this one. I have one pack I use for everything, dayhiking or weekend backpacking. This way my back and shoulders are always use to the same support system.
You might consider a pack that has a detachable fanny pack (lumbar pack) like this.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/KEL0058/c3/s8/Kelty-Red-Cloud-Backpack.html
Check out some of the sites like Sierra Trading Post, Campmor, REI and all the others....but keep in mind, there is tons of gear out there and everyone has their opinions. You need to find what's right for you.
Good luck,
Bill

I'm primarily a summer/warmer weather hiker. That's the main reason I love my particular day pack. The slim profile is just so much cooler and thus way more comfortable to me than my full size pack, which BTW is also very light and comfortable - just not nearly as cool as the narrower daypack. I tried a fanny pack but it just didn't hold enough stuff for me. ;)

You mentioned your son. When I hike with my son he carries his clothes, mat and sleeping bag and water and snacks. I carry everything else, food, tent, stove, water, my stuff. We can set up a base camp. For the day excursions I grab his pack to carry our water food, first aid, extra cloths and rain gear....typical day pack.

Base camps are set up in easy terrain so him carrying a pack is not that strenious and he feels like it is his adventure.

When basecamping, I always bring along a daypack that weighs about 16 ounces.

Puck said:
You mentioned your son. When I hike with my son he carries his clothes, mat and sleeping bag and water and snacks. I carry everything else, food, tent, stove, water, my stuff. We can set up a base camp. For the day excursions I grab his pack to carry our water food, first aid, extra cloths and rain gear....typical day pack.

Base camps are set up in easy terrain so him carrying a pack is not that strenious and he feels like it is his adventure.

I've done the same and found it works pretty well. Other times, I have just stripped down the backpack to bare essentials and it works well as a slightly heavy daypack. Some companies make backpacks that have external pockets that can be separated and carried as a "summit bag."

I went for a week with a similar plan last year. I carried a Mountainsmith Ascent day pack in my main pack (Gregory G). I have an older Gregory Palisade with a lumbar pack/top pocket, but it doesn't seem big enough for an entire day - especially if there wasn't a good chance to get water.

I think puck has a great idea. You can just get your son a daypack, and that should be sufficient.

Better yet, get him a camelback, that has room for gear. Kids love tech-stuff like that.

-percious

Last edited:
percious said:
Better yet, get him a camelback, that has room for gear. Kids love tech-stuff like that.

-percious

Yes, to create a gearhead start em young! :)