BareFoot AT'er

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMartman

Reaction score
I know we've spoken about this before, but I just read an article in my local paper (star ledger NJ) about this guy. He is still barefooted..and apparently has been since his release from the service in 1972 (weird)...anyway my real question here is that it seems to me he's going slowly, obviously the bare feet make it slower going anyway, but he seems extrememly slow.

He left Maine on Memorial Day, and just left Jersey 2 days ago. Is that slow or is it just me? I know many AT'ers frequently log closer to 20 mi a day, this guy scaled back to 12 a day. Sounds like he might have "cold feet" be the time he reaches Georgia.

Just wondering...in any event this is truly a feat...no pun intended :D

M

I don't think that is too slow at all. At 12 miles a day it will take him about 7 months and there are MANY people who take 6 or 7 months to complete the AT and given that he is barefoot, I'd say, 7 months is okay . . . Heck, it would take me atleast that long at my pace :D and that would be with boots on :)

sli74

sli74 said:
I don't think that is too slow at all. At 12 miles a day it will take him about 7 months and there are MANY people who take 6 or 7 months to complete the AT and given that he is barefoot, I'd say, 7 months is okay . . . Heck, it would take me atleast that long at my pace :D and that would be with boots on :)

sli74

Ok...thanks...I have never done that AT except in sections, so I couldnt guage how long it takes. hes truly a trooper.

he did mention that NJ terrain was "horrendous" due to hard ground and rocks...I was thinking about him on a short hike in the Deleware water gap this past weekend while I was wlaking all over the rocks, thinking how bad it would be in bare feet.

M

Sli, you are absolutely correct about the PA section of the trail...he has LOTS of fun/suffering yet to endure if the rocks are bothering him now...He'll think fondly of NJ as he's traversing PA ...