Bike & Hike - Kinsmans and Cannon, June 25, 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
was a long day, but a good one. I was on the motor bike at 5:30a in drizzle and fog (had to stop twice for necessary espresso shots). By the time I got to NH it was sunny with blue skies, and I could tell the mountains were clear. Got on the trail at 9:10a. This included about 40 minutes of trying to find a pack buckle as mine was sitting at home saying "hey, where's the pack?". Luckily found one from a guy who stayed at lonesome lake hut the previous night and was heading to carter notch hut. He gave me his address in NY to send it back. I was thankful and lucky!

Also saw Double Bow and friend preparing to hike up Cannon on this lovely June day.

The hike up to Lonesome Lake was nice and easy. Very pleasant location. Continued on to Kinsman Pond campsite. Used the Steripen for its toughest job thus far for a quart of water. The black flies (or should I say the {*#@!}-ing black flies) were bad at the pond and would remain bad till I looped back to the pond for another quart of water on the way to Cannon.

I headed up to the Kinsman Ridge and hit both North and South Kinsman, returning over North. Nice hike, did it in a little less than 2 hours. Lots of people on the summits, which was too bad, but what ya gonna do. Great views of Franconia Ridge, as well as the south side of Cannon and the Cannonballs. After sterilizing another quart of water and talking to the campsite caretaker on a little beta for Cannon, I set off towards Cannon. Alas, no more swarming black flies for the remainder of the day, just a few here and there. (also no more people, just one couple and one 3-some for the remainder of the hike (other than the summit of Cannon).

It took me about a half hour longer than the caretaker suggested to get to the top of Cannon. A nice hike along the ridge, nothing difficult, but I was feeling the hike and elevation gain I had already done. The hike up Cannon, once I got to it, was steep. Based on being tired I took it a bit slow as there were a lot of dangerous areas if you're tired (i.e. you don't want to fall cause you wouldn't be gettin' up if you did). Also cool, I came upon a rock on the trail that was bigger than a full size pickup truck (obviously much heavier too) that teetered back and forth when I stood on it. Obviously rain had washed away some of its base. A cool rock, but I wouldn't want to be under it when it lets go!

I topped out on Cannon around 4:30p. As I walked up the stairs of the tower, literally 20 or so people came rushing down to catch a tram. Seconds later there was no one left on top. I got a kick out of this. I took a few photos, then a man and son came up and I had them take my photo in front on lafayette/lincoln.

I was psyched to hit the cafeteria at the tram to get something cold with sugar (for the calories) to drink (I brought $2 with me, enough for a feast at the huts). I grabbed a lemonade, alas a 14oz lemonaide was $2.50. I asked if any drink was $2 or less, the woman at the register said no. Aarrrrg! I filled a water bottle with ice, then water, and ate the rest of my lunch and some gorp. Took my boots off and messaged my feet for about 10 minutes, then back on with the boots and continued off the mountain.

I descended Cannon on the Hi-Cannon trail. Steep, not as rocky as the Kinsman Ridge trail up Cannon, and somewhat quick. Similar to the hike up Cannon, there were many places where tired mistakes (falls) would be a bad thing. I kind of took my time down the steeps, then things became a little less rocky and I was able to cruise a bit to get back to the parking lot. Didn't see anyone on the descent. The campground caretaker said it would take 2 hrs to get down, took me about 1 hr 30 minutes. Back to the bike around 6:45pm.

Though the hike took a little longer than I thought it would, the hike worked out well. There were rain clouds looming around the mountains from the time I hit Kinsmon Pond to the time I ended the hike, but no rain occurred, so I lucked out.

The bike ride home over the kanc was great (as it always is). Whenever I've been on the bike on that road I've been practically the only one in my lane. A fun ride, but by the end I was in need of a boost. Stopped at a gas station with a dunkin donuts on the maine/NH border, but was denied espresso cause the dunkin donuts was closed. No boost for the wicked. Continued home, hit rain in Gorham for the final 20 minutes of the ride. Got home around 9:30p. A long day.

Photos can be found here:

http://sopomedia.com/trips/kinsmans-cannon/

check out the panoramics, and sorry for any size issues.

Finished #26, #27, #28 on the list of 4kers.
Estimated mileage: 13 miles
Estimated elev gain: 4700'
Estimated book time: 8 hr 50 min
My Book Time: 9 hrs 30 minutes from bike to bike.

Month of June peaks (not bad considering all the rain in June):
Adams
Cannon
Kinsman North Peak
Kinsman South Peak
Lafayette
Lincoln
Madison
Osceola
Osceola East Peak
Tecumseh