Boot suggestions for winter??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Bone

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a beginner when it comes to backpacking, however, I would like to equip myself for winter camping so I can get out all year long. I do have a some confusion regarding boots though - currently I own a pair of leather Vasque Clarion GTX boots, which I have used mostly 3-season and a couple of dayhikes in the winter in the Harriman/Bear Mtn. area when the temps were in the low 30's. My feet never really got cold unless I stopped for more than a few minutes.

Someone said that these boots wouldn't be sufficient for a winter trip to the High Peaks, and I was wondering if a vapor barrier liner would make a big difference? If not, what else might I look into getting for winter? Would "winter boots" such as Columbia's that are "fuzzy" inside be adequate for snowshoeing and wearing crampons, or are those geared toward just being outside building snowmen & shoeveling the driveway? Basically, do I have any choices other than shelling out the money for plastic mountaineering boots, or are there other leather "all season" boots that can accept crampons and hold up in the cold temps in the daks' & whites, which is basically what I intend to be doing for now?

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

There have been a lot of threads about winter boots here, so I won't even try to summarize the mass of information. Scroll down and read some of it; there are a lot of good suggestions.

Everyone's feet are different in terms of staying warm. The ADKs and Whites can have some ungodly cold nights (60 F colder than what you've tested so far) so I wouldn't trust the old boots. At your level of experience, I would recommend learning by trying. Pick up the cheapest pair of Columbias, or Sorels, or old used Plastics that you can find, and start with shorter day hikes like Cascade. Work your way into longer trips. Maybe hike at night a few times to test the boots against cold with getting committed to an overnight. After a few trips, you'll figure out what will work best for your feet and the type of hiking you plan to do, and then you can invest in some footwear you're going to stick with.

TCD

I'm afraid I don't agree with wearing 'old' secon hand (?) boots. Old plastic boots are an especially bad idea as the liner 'packs' out, or compresses and the ^previous owner probably wants to sell them because his feat get cold and new liners cost almost as much as new plastic boots.

Lined (padded), full grain leather boots that are made for heavy duty backpacking will probably be stiff enough for strap-on crampos. I have used just that in the Dacks in winter for many years. I use plastic for multi day trips (Scarpa Vegas) that take crampons, snowshoes and AT skis.

Good luck.

Doug

Rent a pair of plastics (IME or EMS) and see if you like them. You may not like winter backpacking. Make sure you go with an experienced winter hiker your first few trips.

Das Boots! (again.....)

there are many diff types of boots you can wear. if you are doing just winter hiking with occassional crampon use and snowshoeing you don't need koflach's or other plastics which really are for ice climbing and mountaineering. they make all types now for winter use: ligher and insulated.
prices vary also and you can find deals if you take time to look on the web. and of course preference comes into play. some folks like a liter boot; almost a "sneakers" type of fit. others like something more solid and stiff. that's me. i love any boot w/ an ice trek sole for starters. it's thick, durable and stiffer. can be worn year round. also, the stiffer soles are required for crampon use. you can use a "universal" crampon with almost any boot. however, sorels and boots of that "style" tend to be fuller and rounded at the toe and don't often fit well with crampons, if at all. but there are tons of other boots that will work. i have recommended the merrell winterra and also check out cabelas for some great insulated hiking boots. these type are of the lite to mid weight versions. for something heavier you can try vasque alpines, some of lasportivas lines, lowa etc. also depends on how cold your feet tend to get. if you don't have a problem w/ cold feet or if your feet get very warm; you won't want a heavily insulated boot. you may not even need any insulation. the merrells have 400 thinsulate. that's a lot - you'll never get cold. i've been using my salomon pro ice this season which have 100 grams and that's been enough. that however is a really stiff boot; meant for ice climbing but comfortable enough to snowshoe and crampon in. BUT the main thing is - you don't need plastics to keep your toesies warm and enjoy winter hiking. sierra trading post is always a good place to start for deals but many sites are starting their winter sales already. and again, if you don't want to spend a ton (and who does) ck out cabelas lines of boots. they really do have everything you need; good vibram soles, waterproof, insualtion if needed.

some deals and ideas:

here's some ideas on some good boots at great prices. these are just from one site so just imagine what other deals are out there and selections for you to choose from. a few of these i am familiar with and can recommend. i put some technical boots at the end as some folks like to wear these also but the first section is for backpacking.

granted sizes are limited but the prices are right!

backpacking /mountaineering:

montrail morraine 260 / sale 99
asolo mtf 500v 200/ sale 120
asolo fsn 95 155/ sale 89 (a liter wgt boot)
lowa alpine guide 230/ sale 99 (i have these and love them! / altho they made this boot as part of their mountaineering line, they are quite light and extremely comfortable. they are less stiff then the asolo mtf 650's below)
technica shasta ? / sale 80 (a liter wgt boot - i've seen tho & they are not a bad boot for the money)
lasportiva glacier 223 / sale 80 (*AWESOME BOOT-i love this boot. but they are built narrow/ low volume so if you have high arches, wide feet or big feet they may fit too tight for you)
asolo mtf 650 210 / 126 (i have an love - highly recommend for backpacking!)

technical boots:
asolo afs 800 - 400 / sale 199
asolo afs ottomilla - 200 / sale 240
salomon expert - 250/ sale 160
salomon pro rock - 220/ sale 99
salomon pro thermic -390/ sale 180
lasportiva eiger 275/sale 129
lasportiva lhotse 325/ sale 169
asolo afs guida 350/ sale 90
lowa montafon 300 /sale 195

now back to work....... :eek:

Shadowcat - Thanks a lot for all the info on what types of boots, etc., especially all of the deals out there - I'm assuming you found most of those on Sierra Trading Post - which I find has some good closeouts (just recently got a good deal on a Moonstone shell).

TCD - Thanks, I did do a search and came up with some good threads, one a fairly lengthy one which I read through and got some good info from --

It seems as everyone is different with there opinions on plastic vs. leather, etc., but I think from the general consensus out there I will probably end up buying an insulated leather boot for now (merrells/Cablela's line) - and when/if I get to the point of doing some more serious technical climbing, then I may opt for a plastic boot.

Thanks again all

winter boots

If I'm skiing an approach, then switching to snowshoes and/or full crampons, I use my Merrell Wilderness backcountry ski boots. If it's snowshoes and then full crampons, I have a pair of double leather stiff-soled Asolo mountaineering boots (from Sierra Trading Post, discounted) which work well. But if it's snow shoes and maybe instep crampons (and you can climb all the High Peaks that way, although maybe not every trail), I'm happy with my "Mickey Mouse" army surplus boots, rubber encasing felt insulation, which I got for <$40 from www.sportsmansguide.com. They are not pretty, but they work: if I die on the trail, when they drag my frozen body out and take off the boots for a post-mortem, my toes will probably still be warm and supple.

I tried plastic, and realized that the shell will absolutely not stretch or break-in.

About 6 years ago, I bought a pair of Columbia Bugabootoo's. One of the best purchases I've made. This is a boot you can wear on the trail and around town. They've loosened up a bit, but show no significant wear and tear. I only use a thick pair of wool socks, and my feet have NEVER been cold in them, except the time I left them outside my sleeping bag and they froze! Now on overnights, I put the boots in a plastic shopping bag and then throw inside my sleeping bag... works fine. They're snowshoe and crampon compatible, but not stiff enough for technical stuff. I bought my pair for about $125. I got a pair for my wife at end-of-season for $40. Check 'em out if you're not planning any technical climbs and you need an affordable multi-functional boot.

winter boots

I own a pair of vaskue "arctic"....kinda run of the mill winter hiking boots. I bought them because they were on sale and in my size. They're insulated and luckily when I bought my G-10's the next season, they fit (the insulation makes them kinda clunky). Heres my experience with them: On washington ...4? winter ascents as cold as it was, my feet dont really get cold. This year at work with temps in the single digits, not doing much of anything except standing on ice and frozen ground, my toes did get very cold after 3 or 4 hours. I think the activity of hiking keeps my feet and everything else sufficiently warm. On one attempt, I was on nelson crag(?) trail, about halfway up, taking my gloves off caused pain from cold in seconds. It was a really bad day to be on the mountain. I remember how deep the snow was, how cold my hands got, but I think if my boots were inadequate I would have remembered that too. I guess what Im trying to say is-finally-unless your doing someting technical like ice climbing; as long as you have a good insulated winter hiker that fits with plenty of room for socks and maybe a liner(if u use them, I dont) you should be fine. at least thats what works for me.

I've worn the Asolo FSN 95's for multi-day trips to the Whites and Cats for the last three years. Once moving, they have kept my feet warm and toasty in temps hovering around 0F and slightly below. I haven't warn vapor barriers and at night I stick a hand warmer in each boot and stuff them into my sleeping bag sack (which has been turned inside out) and put the bag at the bottom of my sleeping bag. I find the hand warmers dry them out over night and any relative moisture remaining in the morning will not be frozen since they've been in my bag all night.

shadowcat said:
. sierra trading post is always a good place to start for deals but many sites are starting their winter sales already. and again, if you don't want to spend a ton (and who does) ck out cabelas lines of boots. they really do have everything you need; good vibram soles, waterproof, insualtion if needed.

I was reading this post thinking "... wow, shadow hasn't mentioned STP yet, when will it come... perhaps it won't..." then, whammo. Love that place, don't you... :D :D

O yeah, unless you have a size 5.5 or size 14, then 90% of STP's inventory won't fit you. :)

Last edited:
Stp

Jasonst: "O yeah, unless you have a size 5.5 or size 14, then 90% of STP's inventory won't fit you"
(i guess i do mention sierra a lot don't i? but what can i say they have been bery bery good to me over the yrs!)

but in response to your size comment it's NOT nec true! but you do have to keep cking. the best time to find something seems to be when you don't need it yet. but the inventory does go fast on STP bec they do have such great pricing. they have a few new boots added just recently that look good; asolos mtf 500v. lovely boot! :)

In this discussion of boots, don't forget that other foot covering, socks. I have recently purchased the insulated boot liner shown at

http://www.rbhdesigns.com/category.cfm?Category=1

These are a new wrinkle on VB socks. So far, they appear impressive. I'm not totally convinced that plastics are always the way to go. A good-quality stiff leather boot like the Scarpa Rio is great for step-kicking or crampon use, provided it's worn with an adequate sock system. If I was to do glacier climbing, in which there's a lot of steep though not necessarily technical ice, then plastics or a leather like the La Sportiva Nepal make sense.