Brat Camp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
While surfing channels the other night looking for the Lance Armstrong show I cought a show on ABC call Brat Camp. The premise is; problem teens (substance abuse, ADHD, disobediance, crimes, etc) are sent to this program. They have all of thier belongings, clothes, jewelry stripped from them and are given outdoor equipement. They are put in the middle of Oregon in Nov. cold and arid. There are couselors. In this setting they rock climb, backpack work as a team for camp chores. The idea is the experience will set them straight and they will come to face thier issues.

did anyone else see it? What are thought on using outdoor experiences to whoop somebody into shape??

Puck said:
While surfing channels the other night looking for the Lance Armstrong show I cought a show on ABC call Brat Camp. The premise is; problem teens (substance abuse, ADHD, disobediance, crimes, etc) are sent to this program. They have all of thier belongings, clothes, jewelry stripped from them and are given outdoor equipement. They are put in the middle of Oregon in Nov. cold and arid. There are couselors. In this setting they rock climb, backpack work as a team for camp chores. The idea is the experience will set them straight and they will come to face thier issues.

did anyone else see it? What are thought on using outdoor experiences to whoop somebody into shape??

I didn't see the show but I did see previews of it. I think it's a great idea, the kids next door to me should be the stars of that program. The outdoors can be humbling to anybody. My only question, and since this seems to be something new only time will tell, is what happens when these kids (who may do very well in the outdoors) get back to the inner-city. Do they remember this experience or will it soon be forgotten once they are back on the block?

It's possible for either to happen but it sounds like a good program. :)

I saw it and though about starting a thread on it as well. I thought it was pretty good. It was a little bit funny for numerous reasons but, I think it's going to be a pretty good show. It's probably going to have a lot of touching moments as the season progresses.

The method of therapy isn't new but, it's interesting seeing it being brought out into the spotlight. When I went through outdoor leadership training, we talked about how when people are pushed to their physical limits, their emotional barriers often come down. I have seen it happen in the field and it can be difficult to deal with at times. In the case of this show, this is the desired effect and will (hopefully) help these kids to deal with their issues at a formative age. I suppose it's better than grabbing the belt and taking them behind the woodshed. So far, I am enjoying it. Hopefully, I will continue to.

I also watched the two hour opener show, also by chance as I don't watch much TV any more. I found it both facinating and kind of sad.

The sad part is that there are so many kids like the ones on the show around these days. Who does one blame? Too lenient, baby-boomer parents? TV? video-games? Marketeers targetting kids? Lack of control from fear of reparation? There are many candidates.

My personal feeling is that kids just grow up too damn fast these days. I should say they are led to believe they are grown up too early when in fact they are emotionally and socially immature.

The fundamental methodology of the program (not the TV show) is the standard "Break them down - build them up" one. It works. It's just a shame the kids have to break themselves, their families and their friends in the first place.

Not sure how long this thread will last.

Bob

I like the idea of camps like these but find a show about it exploiting and distasteful. These kids have enough problems. I don't think anyone is going to be 'real' when they know the cameras are running. I should qualify this by saying I haven't seen the show.

Last edited:
HikerBob said:
Not sure how long this thread will last.
Bob

I thought by posting the thread that the discussion will lead to parenting and wilderness experiences. I try to do most of my outdoor activities with my son. He can't see me work all I produce is biohazard waste and data. There was a time kids saw the parents make things and bring food in from the field. By backpacking with him he can see tents go up and meal prepared. He works for views and accomplishments. He loves it and I have seen him grow and become stronger, patient and humanistic.

The approach used in the show may shatter the world view of these kids and show them something bigger and better about the real world beyond thier inner circle and give them a sense of accomplishment and self esteem.

I saw it and loved it, but thought the title "Brat Camp" didn't do justification to the touching and eye opening show that it really was. It makes it sound like just another hokey reality TV show, when in fact this one is quite different.

Puck - I just figured the thread has a lot of potential for deteriorating into a p*l*t*c*l mess.

While the presence of cameras no doubt led to some additional posturing I have a feeling the effect of seeing themselves as others see them would be an additional therapeutic eye opener.

Bob

Artex said:
I saw it and loved it, but thought the title "Brat Camp" didn't do justification to the touching and eye opening show that it really was. It makes it sound like just another hokey reality TV show, when in fact this one is quite different.

You hit the nail on the head! It does illustrate the sad state of affairs with kids today and Bob is right in that it is hard to say where the blame lies. Will they act "real"? I'm hopeful that they will. A generation that has grown up in front of the tv knows little difference between tv life and "real" life. Reality tv makes the distinction even harder for them. Yes, this may be exactly what they need. These kids will learn to do things for themselves and will learn self-respect and develop a work ethic by doing so. They are already learning to appreciate that which has been given to them.

Will the lessons learned out there carry over to life in the city? I think so. The lessons I've learned in the mountains I carry with me wherever I go. The hills are my classroom, the city my proving ground.

love

Puck said:
I thought by posting the thread that the discussion will lead to parenting and wilderness experiences. I try to do most of my outdoor activities with my son. He can't see me work all I produce is biohazard waste and data. There was a time kids saw the parents make things and bring food in from the field. By backpacking with him he can see tents go up and meal prepared. He works for views and accomplishments. He loves it and I have seen him grow and become stronger, patient and humanistic.

The approach used in the show may shatter the world view of these kids and show them something bigger and better about the real world beyond thier inner circle and give them a sense of accomplishment and self esteem.
A child needs only one thing in life to succeed ~love ~

My family watched it together and both my wife and kids thought that I'd have too much fun being one of the brats. They said it would be like Disneyworld for me.

But Kmac is correct. None of the parents seemed to be able to communicate with their kids. They missed the key to the relationship and now it's gone south.
Should be interesting to see how it works out when they reunite.

Rik said:
I like the idea of camps like these but find a show about it exploiting and distasteful. These kids have enough problems. I don't think anyone is going to be 'real' when they know the cameras are running. I should qualify this by saying I haven't seen the show.
I have not seen the show either . I have to agree with Rik
The type of kids in thease programs have enough problems with out having thier truobles broadcast to millions of potential veiwers.
I also agree with others that thre seems to be much more going on than the kids acting bad.
Too bad they could not spend a year at a program like that. That surely would have more of a impact on them. The parents probably need some help in learing how to raise children . :(

I agree with you guys that the camp is a great idea, but having TV cameras rolling while these MINORS are trying to change their lives is absolutely distasteful. Oh, and from what I've read, after they are done working with the kids, they have the parents spend a few weeks at the camp with them so that both the kids and the parents can have a chance to work things out together before re-entering the real world.

As one who has seen the show and has experience with "outdoor" based therapy like this (many years as Chief Instructor:Homeward Bound DYS:MA) FWIW here are my thoughts.

These kids are NOT from the inner city. Not to say they won't get something out of it, but they are from "well-to-do" families. Just do some surfing and check out the price tag for tuition.

These kids have a "reality-show" demeanor about them, that IMHO, causes more harm than good.

There is little to zero regulations on these "outdoor-based" therapy "camps". Again, surf the web, and you will see what I mean. It is literally a goldmine for people, pandering to the rich, with their problem child as the "last resort".

Outdoor based therapy, whatever form, is VERY successful with kids. I have dedicated most of my professional life to this. It is however, not just taking "kids outdoors". There is simply more to it.

There's more I would like to say about this, but alas, the soapbox is starting to crack. ;)

Peace.

I thought the show would be about "brats", but it turned out most the kids had learning disorders, suffered from depression, or were addicts or victims of abuse. I'm unsure how much actual help such children will recieve from a program that uses head trips, physical punishment, and threats of violence to coerce "good" behavior.

TJ aka Teej said:
I thought the show would be about "brats", but it turned out most the kids had learning disorders, suffered from depression, or were addicts or victims of abuse. I'm unsure how much actual help such children will recieve from a program that uses head trips, physical punishment, and threats of violence to coerce "good" behavior.

I did not see the show but your depiction of it " threats violence and coersion" does not speak well of the tv show. I know of a program in the Adirondacks that has been doing this for quite awhile now. The people who worked with the kids were very knowledgeable and professional. There was none of the above going on in the program. Threats etc I am refering to. I worked with several kids who were "sent" there, it is quite expensive and generally paid for by scholarships through county and state funding. The program lasted for two weeks with a years worth of follow up and support etc. Each kid I knew that attended reported they liked it and learned quite a bit. About half managed to change course and stay out of trouble. A great deal depended upon what level of family participation and follow through was garnered. The ones whose parents sat back and said don't bother me just fix my kid mostly failed.

I watched the show and thought the concept of bringing kids out in the wilderness to face their problems and building themselves back up is great. I am not sure how I feel about it being turned into a tv show though. Being a highschool teacher I could relate to the kids in the show with students I have had. It also made me sad because unlike the kids in the show a lot of my past students will not get the help they need. I also saw that it costs the parents $12000 to send the kids for 30 days. Many families even if the wanted to could not afford to send their teens to a place like this.

When the instructor mentioed that they break the kid and then rebuild them, it remined me of what the military does to new recruits.

brianW said:
It also made me sad because unlike the kids in the show a lot of my past students will not get the help they need. I also saw that it costs the parents $12000 to send the kids for 30 days. Many families even if the wanted to could not afford to send their teens to a place like this.

Many counties in New York State have a contract with the Adirondack program, ( not the same as the TV show but similar) that will pay the cost. It is not a financial "needs" based test it is based upon the kid and if the program people think they can make a difference.

I think the concept is good, but a little flawed. Wouldn't you want "bad" kids to be around "good" kids, in the hope that some of the good actions and thoughts would rub off?

Also, don't you think the publicity of the tv show will hurt the kids when they try to get back into society?