Cannon Mountain 6/9/06 #20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bintrepidhiker

Reaction score
Haven't been hiking in awhile and since i was in the area this past week I chose the one day where i had the least chance to get drowned from the rain that seems to never stop around here. So driving up I got a brief glimpse of sun in some places so i took as an omen that i'd be dry for the day. Sadly this wouldn't be the case.

Got to the trailhead at Lafayette Campground around 9 and headed up. The plan was to go up and down Hi-Cannon. I walked thru the campground and got started on the Lonesome Lake trail and wasn't long before I reached the Hi-Cannon junction. Maybe it was just me but i didn't think the trail here wasn't well marked at all because somehow I took a wrong turn and ended up on some unknown path that connected back to the Lonesome Lake Trail. Rather than backtrack i just decided i'd stay on this trail and just take the Dodge Cutoff back to Hi-Cannon. The trail itself was in ok shape considering the rain that has fallen. Wasn't long before i had to throw on the rain jacket just to keep dry from the wet leaves and leftover rain from above me in the trees.

At about 9:45 i reached Lonesome Lake. Wasn't much to look at since it was clouded over not far above me but was still nice to look at. From there I thought i got on the Dodge Cutoff but instead found out i stayed on the Lonesome Lake Trail further up so i decided what the hell i'll make a loop out of this trip knowing i could take Lonesome Lake Trail straight up to Kinsman Ridge so i did that. Trail is steep most of the way after leaving the lake. I'd almost say its as steep as the steep part of the Ammonoosuc trail heading up Washington, only longer.

At 10:20 i arrived at the Kinsman Ridge and by this point i was in the clouds surrounding the area and a light rain had started. This part of the trail was also on the steep side and with the rain coming down i can't say it was fun climbing on the slippery rocks. But by the time 11 rolled around i had cleared the steep stuff and after a short easy ridge walk i made it to the observation tower. By this point it was almost a downpour up there so i went under the tower where it was moderatly dry and did my summit pose for #20 for me! :) Then it started to let up so i went to the top of the tower and took a few pics of the nonview i got to enjoy then retreated to the summit house where i could hang my stuff up and dry out a little bit and enjoy my lunch.

Around 11:45 i set off again. The rain had stopped so i wondered around the summit for a little bit. I thought i remembered there being an old cannon at the top somewhere and wanted to get a shot of it but i couldn't find it so i headed back to the Kinsman Ridge Trail around noon and headed towards the Hi-cannon trail. Great care had to be observed coming down this trail because parts were steep and just wet slabs of rock. Coming down was also easy to follow being better marked and less likly to make a wrong turn there being nowhere to turn hehe. I did have the furtune of finding a viewpoint or 2 just below the clouds where i could see Lonesome Lake and the view south of the Notch. Some parts were in the sun but most were covered by clouds. I'm sure its a great view on a clear day! Around 1:30 I met up with the Lonesome Lake/Hi-Cannon Junction thus closing the loop and was back at my car about 15 mins later. Concidering what i had to work with it wasn't a bad day. I'm sure i'll make it up there again at some point when the views are more inviting.

Totals: 4 hrs 45 mins covering 6.4 miles
pics: http://bintrepid81.fotopages.com

Hey wish I could have made it. But it sounds like you had a nice swift hike without waiting for me all the time. :D But my heart belongs in the Pemi and I will be there tomorrow. Yes, I will play hookie. :p

grouseking